What does everyone do for a living?

Duane

Reaction score
A month until camp starts and I'm bored. Plus I haven't seen one of these posted in a while. So what does everyone do for a living?

I'm a financial analyst for an electric utility.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm a [quitting] student who works at Starbucks.

Man I feel small.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I'm a [quitting] student who works at Starbucks.

Man I feel small.

What you should be feeling, CR, is very very young.

Which some of us would love to be feeling again. :eek:

PS. You won't be "quitting"..because guaranteed, you will be
"returning".

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Writer. My moneymaker is primarily technical stuff. I do that now for a law firm in their IT dept.

But when I have time I write other things. Hope to get back into freelance writing as a side gig (newspapers, mags, websites, et al). Maybe write a novel or two. Just do more fun writing.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Writer. My moneymaker is primarily technical stuff. I do that now for a law firm in their IT dept.

But when I have time I write other things. Hope to get back into freelance writing as a side gig (newspapers, mags, websites, et al). Maybe write a novel or two. Just do more fun writing.
Props, WG, good technical writers are in tremendous demand.

Not just the high-faluting IT stuff. But ever try to follow those assembly instructions on any kid's toy more sophisticated than a yo-yo? Or a simple plywood bookshelf?

But they do come with equally frustrating translations in Spanish and French. :rolleyes:

Duane

Reaction score
Makes sense that both WG and LTN have jobs that require good reading/writing skills since your posts are outstanding. :)

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Duane said:
Makes sense that both WG and LTN have jobs that require good reading/writing skills since your posts are outstanding. :)
Yeah, but in addition, she has far better geek skills than I do.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Props, WG, good technical writers are in tremendous demand.

Not just the high-faluting IT stuff. But ever try to follow those assembly instructions on any kid's toy more sophisticated than a yo-yo? Or a simple plywood bookshelf?

But they do come with equally frustrating translations in Spanish and French. :rolleyes:
I've been a technical writer since undergrad. I'm pretty good if I must say so, myself... :) I was a contractor for many years and just decided to go perm for awhile. Tired of always needing to hustle for a new gig.

And I completely understand about those assembly instructions. I've personally put together half the furniture in my office (including the plywood bookshelf from Walmart :) ) and spare bedroom at home. I just put my treadmill together and I'll be doing my home gym in a couple months. That should be big fun. :rolleyes: My suggestion is layout all the materials from the box, read the instructions completely, identify which material goes where and then start. Don't start without at leasting scanning the instructions.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
My suggestion is layout all the materials from the box, read the instructions completely, identify which material goes where and then start. Don't start without at leasting scanning the instructions.
LOL WG, that's why I married a freaking engineer....

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Senior Manufacturing In-her-near for a HVAC company. It is just a placeholder, a nice paying placeholder until I get my dream job. :)

Bah tech writing is only for those who read instructions. :D

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As Little as Possible :p:

Tech guy/ help desk/ manage a database....or as Yeager said...computer geek :laugh1:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adbutcher said:
Senior Manufacturing In-her-near for a HVAC company. It is just a placeholder, a nice paying placeholder until I get my dream job. :)

Bah tech writing is only for those who read instructions. :D
Actually, that's why I have a job. It's for those who DON'T read them and find out they NEED to read them AFTER they've sat for hours trying to figure it out...

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woody'sGirl said:
Actually, that's why I have a job. It's for those who DON'T read them and find out they NEED to read them AFTER they've sat for hours trying to figure it out...

You know I think it is more of a man thing...not just an engineer thing.

Not all men mind you but many men.

Depends on what I am doing if I even bother to open the instruction book....and at times, like you said, after messing a long time I realize it is time to open up th instructions. :mad: