Twitter: What grade do you give Tyler Smith?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
As far as Rookies go, definately an A. A- ok, but somewhere up there. Him and Steele really got something going. I hope Steele won't suffer the Gallup fate after that injury and will be @ 100% next season. If so our future @ OT is secure for the next couple of years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A - considering the rap on him against a strong opponent and his penchant for penalties, he was an excellent pick. He got baptism by fire and accelerated the evualution of him for the future, looks like a real solid keeper for years to come. Cowboys are great 1st round pickers of the OL.

Who was the last 1st round OL pick not to work out?
Howard Richards - 1981 Too many injuries.

RS12

Reaction score
I giving an A. Big jump from Tulsa to starting LT for the highest profile team in sports. Particularly when you factor in he had a penalty problem in college and spent various OTAs playing inside.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What's your grade?
Did Tyler exceed you expectations?

I gave him a B+.

A++ Considering that he was a rookie. A non-top 10 rookie.

B+ Relative to All Pro veterans. Bump to A- when considering he played both LT and LG.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
As a draft pick? A+
As a starting LT B.

Finding a walk-in starting LT at pick 26 is superb work.
At same time Tyler likely is better for the next 7-9 years at LT than he was as a rookie.
Very much looks like the drop off from vet Tyron to young Tyler will be minimal.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
He gets an “A” in my book. Started from day one, multiple positions, and has power and intelligence and a very high ceiling.

Questioned the pick when we made it, but he really did an outstanding job.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
A at the very least. I fully believe if this guy didn’t step up early and often we wouldn’t have won as many games as we did. Truly a home run pick. There’s a lot of things you can say about this team but their first round OL drafting is phenomenal