What grade would you give defensive drafting under Garrett (2011-16)?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd probably give our drafting efforts a B here under Garrett. I ding them for the frivolous approach to the 2nd round, and they haven't hit on the mid-late rounders at a rate that paces the really good drafting teams. But they've done a great job in the first round, had a moderate performance relative to the rest of the league from the 3rd round on down, and have done a good job generally in CFA. If we found a franchise QB at the end of the 4th this season, that's huge.

Talentwise, we've got a pretty good team. We just wasted too many changes to improve the defensive talent incrementally here.

erod

Reaction score
This is not the reality of the NFL.

If it takes any coach in this league to win under these circumstances of taking years and years to build then they don't belong in a league where it's easy to turn around a team quick.

OK, fire Garrett.

The next guy will be Houston Nutt or Wade Wilson or the equivalent for $500K a year.

Jerry never pays head coaches unless he has a stadium to build. He won't give a coach that kind of power and leverage. Ever.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
OK, fire Garrett.

The next guy will be Houston Nutt or Wade Wilson or the equivalent for $500K a year.

Jerry never pays head coaches unless he has a stadium to build. He won't give a coach that kind of power and leverage. Ever.

Can they get Dez the ball consistently? If so they already give us a better chance to win than Garrett.

Zordon

Reaction score
I'm not claiming Garrett to be any all-time great coach. I do know he inherited a steaming pile of farm animal droppings.
You should really watch more football around the league if you really believe he inherited a hopeless situation. He inherited a borderline HOF QB which is half the battle in the NFL.

cml750

Reaction score
OK, fire Garrett.

Chances are we would get another yes man puppet, but maybe, just maybe, they could actually have what it takes to be a good coach. Wade and Garrett obviously did/do not. One thing, Jerry ain't going anywhere. We are stuck with him until death do we part. We have seen several puppet head coaches brought in but there is a chance, maybe, just maybe, Jerry would hire a coach who actually knows how to coach and doesn't make him feel uncomfortable. I know the chances are slim but we are wasting time spinning our wheels with Garrett. It has already wasted the entire career of our franchise QB. Why waste Dak's too?

RS12

Reaction score
He's responsible for hiring the defensive coaches. He's surrounded himself with terrible evaluators of defensive talent, that's on him.
Look I have hated the Garrett hire from the word "go" as everybody knows. I am not sure how much input he has on coaches or the draft. I dont think he actually has that much input. I'll put the blame on the draft, and Garrett being here on the same person. I'll give that person an "F" as GM.

erod

Reaction score
Youre right, bro. I mean, look at how healthy Romo is now playing behind the best line in the league.

He was already beaten to a pulp. Back surgery and broken collar bones long precluded this line.

erod

Reaction score
You should really watch more football around the league if you really believe he inherited a hopeless situation. He inherited a borderline HOF QB which is half the battle in the NFL.

There are five players left from what he inherited: Romo, Witten, Lee, Scandrick, and Free.

Sounds like a 50s Celtics team.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
He's responsible for hiring the defensive coaches. He's surrounded himself with terrible evaluators of defensive talent, that's on him.
I actually don't think he gets to pick his coaches.

erod

Reaction score
Can they get Dez the ball consistently? If so they already give us a better chance to win than Garrett.

We all need to come to terms with the real fact that Dez is a very limited player physically and intellectually. He's big and strong and competitive like few others. But he's a very average route runner with limited speed and no ability to learn defenses or precise routes.

There's a reason the only QB that throws his way much is Romo. The others have no idea where he's going.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
He was already beaten to a pulp. Back surgery and broken collar bones long precluded this line.

So you're saying his collar bone injuries and current back injury are the result of past injuries? Interesting theory. Do you have any medical evidence for it? I'll wait.

erod

Reaction score
So you're saying his collar bone injuries and current back injury are the result of past injuries? Interesting theory. Do you have any medical evidence for it? I'll wait.

Well, he broke his collar bone a long time ago against New York. And he had serious back surgery after the Washington game in 2013. His mobility and fragility haven't been the same since.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Well, he broke his collar bone a long time ago against New York. And he had serious back surgery after the Washington game in 2013. His mobility and fragility haven't been the same since.

I'm still waiting on that medical evidence.