What happend to Dez?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Dez was getting shoved out of the play right as the ball was approaching and the refs ignored it, happened about 3 Times...

PI

Jenky

Reaction score
If Dez needs precision passing all the time to make catches, then he is overpaid.

15 million WR’s shouldn’t need an elite QB to put up even decent numbers.

Dez isn’t making any of the tough catches this year.

Passes are overthrown and un-catchable.

Everson24

Reaction score
When Dez broke his fifth metatarsal, I was very concerned at the time that he would turn into Hakeem Nicks. Nicks used to quite dynamic as a receiver and after he broke his foot he became a JAG. This is exactly what has happened to Dez. His lack of explosiveness is now messing with his head. We had a chance to get out of the Dez contract in March of 2016 but we didn't do it and now it is holding the team hostage.

perrykemp

Reaction score
When Dez broke his fifth metatarsal, I was very concerned at the time that he would turn into Hakeem Nicks. Nicks used to quite dynamic as a receiver and after he broke his foot he became a JAG. This is exactly what has happened to Dez. His lack of explosiveness is now messing with his head. We had a chance to get out of the Dez contract in March of 2016 but we didn't do it and now it is holding the team hostage.

Wasn't that the warning bandied about here on CZ at the time?

The Giants rushed back Nicks when he had his Jones fracture and he was never the same again.

The Cowboys rushed back Dez in 2015 only to have him reinjure his foot. I remember the warnings well from that time -- Jones injuries are not something to be messed with...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate the lateral passes where he's supposed to get RAC. They didn't work that well when Dez was younger. What makes them think they will work now?
Those passes are intended to get him involved so that he'll concentrate. If he goes too long without touching the ball, he becomes completely worthless.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

Is it actually holding the team hostage though?

I mean you may not like how much he gets paid, but it's not stopping us from doing anything.

Everson24

Reaction score
Is it actually holding the team hostage though?

I mean you may not like how much he gets paid, but it's not stopping us from doing anything.
It is holding us hostage because we could have used some of his money the last few years to get in some quality depth at LB and OT. Maybe even a legitimate 1 Tech. You cannot be paying 17 million a year to a receiver who cant separate and drops easy passes. It also keeps a more explosive player off the field and allows teams to double Cole Beasley.

Everson24

Reaction score
Wasn't that the warning bandied about here on CZ at the time?

The Giants rushed back Nicks when he had his Jones fracture and he was never the same again.

The Cowboys rushed back Dez in 2015 only to have him reinjure his foot. I remember the warnings well from that time -- Jones injuries are not something to be messed with...
Yes, there were some on CZ that though we rushed him back too soon I was one of them, but I also worried about the long-term loss of explosiveness.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
It is holding us hostage because we could have used some of his money the last few years to get in some quality depth at LB and OT. Maybe even a legitimate 1 Tech. You cannot be paying 17 million a year to a receiver who cant separate and drops easy passes. It also keeps a more explosive player off the field and allows teams to double Cole Beasley.

Who would you have liked to see them sign that they couldn't have but were interested in?

You're combining signing FA with your evaluation of Dez's skills when they are two completely different things.

If you don't think Dez is worth his contract, that's fair, but don't make it sound like his contract is the reason we're getting blown out.

John813

Reaction score
Just don't think his skill set is something Dak can be consistent with. Not putting the full blame on either one. Just may be what it is. Cheaper to think about moving on from Dez than Dak.

But with the holes on the team, think there's no need to move on this off-season. Draft some receiver(s) and let them get their feet wet before moving on.

Verdict

Reaction score
Who would you have liked to see them sign that they couldn't have but were interested in?

You're combining signing FA with your evaluation of Dez's skills when they are two completely different things.

If you don't think Dez is worth his contract, that's fair, but don't make it sound like his contract is the reason we're getting blown out.

Except that it is part of the reason we suck. Without Dez contract we could have added a linebacker, or an OT, or another player who could actually help us win. Leary could still be here. Murray could still be here.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Except that it is part of the reason we suck. Without Dez contract we could have added a linebacker, or an OT, or another player who could actually help us win. Leary could still be here. Murray could still be here.

You're coming from a place of emotion, not reason.

If they wanted to bring those players in, they would have.

We have almost 10m in cap space right now, but weren't interested in Zach Brown who is balling out for the Commanders right now on a one year 2.3m deal.

Go take a look at the FA LB contracts, there isn't a guy on that list that we couldn't have signed if we wanted to (assuming they were interested in playing here). OT is similar, they obviously aren't going to spend 6m+ per year on a backup OT.

You may not like it, but the team is made up exactly the way they wanted it. It's just not good enough.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
6. He got paid....isn't hungry anymore.:rolleyes: Funny how money changes people.
Exactly, it is just a job now.
Also Tony worked alot with dez,
and threw high arching pass for
Deep balls, which were the jump balls.
Dak throws a lower long ball,
And maybe doesn't practice with dez as much as Tony did.

Dez got his big contract, and
He may step it up in next contract year, but don't expect much till then.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So true, but Jones boys felt dez
Was better choice than 3 other good players. :lmao::clap:

wssaustin

Reaction score
I think it's a combo of a few things.

One, Dak struggles to get him the ball at times and other times doesn't deliver a catchable ball.

Two, I don't think Dez has been the same since the leg injuries.

Three, the coaching staff does him no favors.

Four, I think Romo covered up for a lot of the coaching staff shortcomings.

Five, I do think Bryant has been lazy at times. That alligator arm tonight on that one throw was unacceptable.

In terms of coaching, Romo was our offense coordinator scheming-wise.

Verdict

Reaction score
You're coming from a place of emotion, not reason.

If they wanted to bring those players in, they would have.

We have almost 10m in cap space right now, but weren't interested in Zach Brown who is balling out for the Commanders right now on a one year 2.3m deal.

Go take a look at the FA LB contracts, there isn't a guy on that list that we couldn't have signed if we wanted to (assuming they were interested in playing here). OT is similar, they obviously aren't going to spend 6m+ per year on a backup OT.

You may not like it, but the team is made up exactly the way they wanted it. It's just not good enough.

That's a false narrative, because it doesn't include the opportunity cost of signing the players you are referring to. Had we signed them we wouldn't have that much cap room. You have to anticipate the cap room that will be needed for Martin, Lawrence, Irving and to a lesser extent Dak and Zeke on down the road. Nothing regarding the salary cap operates in a vacuum.

Verdict

Reaction score
Exactly, it is just a job now.
Also Tony worked alot with dez,
and threw high arching pass for
Deep balls, which were the jump balls.
Dak throws a lower long ball,
And maybe doesn't practice with dez as much as Tony did.

Dez got his big contract, and
He may step it up in next contract year, but don't expect much till then.

Romo also got picked off a lot BECAUSE OF DEZ BRYANT.

wssaustin

Reaction score

IMO huge contracts on WR FA never worth it. Let them walk.