What happened to Devin Smith?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I have no idea why Tavon Austin is still on the team. He is terrible as a punt returner and can only be used as a gimmick person on offense.

I like Austin. What I don't get, much like Olawale, is why they're here unless they're going to be used for the "gimmick" aspect of their game, because they aren't much of anything in their primary functions.

Austin's main selling point is as a WR who *can also* be a legitimate run threat. If he's not being used for jet sweeps, reverses, and WR screens, he's being wasted. We'd be better off playing Smith and developing him.

Olawale's main gimmick is that he's a FB you can send deep. For a FB, great hands and great speed. We tried it once, and he beat his man, so naturally we never tried that again. We spent big money on this guy, but don't use him. Again.

There's no excuse for this. We had both last year. We should have known exactly what they are, and shouldn't have brought them back unless we planned to use them.

EJK24

Reaction score
Not really. If the team feels they need a backup receiver that can also return kicks and punts, a good gunner from his days in college doesn't really fit the bill. Besides, in his 5 years since leaving Ohio State he has seen very little special teams time, so we really don't know much about his special teams ability in 2019.

That's a fair point. Well stated.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

+1

Earlier in the year, some people were making the excuse for benching Devin Smith because "he can't play special teams". From the article:
"He's the best gunner, and the great thing is the Bill Belichicks of the world, NFL coaches, his stock is soaring right now," Meyer said of Smith's role on the Buckeyes' punt-coverage unit. "It's because he catches the ball, but that's No. 2, because he's one of the best gunners in college football."​

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not really. If the team feels they need a backup receiver that can also return kicks and punts, a good gunner from his days in college doesn't really fit the bill.

We've been keeping the Ventrell nobody on the team as a gunner.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
As a 3rd round pick on his rookie contract, Gallup didn't have any power to negotiate that kind of thing. Gallup is the 4th highest paid WR on the team, yet very nearly neck and neck with Cooper for the team lead in targets.
Interesting.

What is your source on stuff like this?

Just seems contract details like that would not be readily available.

Thanx.

Number1

Reaction score
Austin's main selling point is as a WR who *can also* be a legitimate run threat. If he's not being used for jet sweeps, reverses, and WR screens, he's being wasted.

or how about a plain old play action deep 9 ball?

BTW, I've played PR on teams which outlawed fair catches and those who preferred it

the players on the no fair catch team blocked harder, and we had far better results

at best a fair catch should be an emergency decision by the PR on the field

why sign an awesome return man and ice him on most kicks?

why sign 4.3 speed and not use it?

Number1

Reaction score
Yeah but our special teams has been fine without him. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it ya know.

no need to be sarcastic - we get it - the coaches don't - or so it seems (we don't see them in practice)

but, any coach that can't figure out how to use Smith / Austin / Pollard is pretty darn suspect

BTW, I'd rather Dooley than San Jay

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
or how about a plain old play action deep 9 ball?

BTW, I've played PR on teams which outlawed fair catches and those who preferred it

the players on the no fair catch team blocked harder, and we had far better results

at best a fair catch should be an emergency decision by the PR on the field

why sign an awesome return man and ice him on most kicks?

why sign 4.3 speed and not use it?

Oh yeah. That's exactly it. Austin is the perfect complement to Zeke in the run game because he is a run threat *and* a play action deep threat. Olawale too. Pollard too.

I just don't get it. They picked players that exactly complemented our base run game with Zeke. Then don't use them as complements.

Note that Smith, as a deep threat, is a better complement to the base run game than Gallup. Smith subbing in for Cooper when he needs a rest (which seems quite common this year), we keep a legitimate true wide out with deep speed on the field.

Number1

Reaction score
Note that Smith, as a deep threat, is a better complement to the base run game than Gallup. Smith subbing in for Cooper when he needs a rest (which seems quite common this year), we keep a legitimate true wide out with deep speed on the field.

Gallup does have true deep speed or rather he's almost as fast as Austin / Smith / Cooper in stride in a race for the ball, but the others are far quicker off the LOS,

That said, Gallup and Smith do have the advantage in an air fight - they have the hops

if I had to keep just one of them - it would be Smith

the fantasy football crowd won't agree with me

also before drafting a XWR ... I'd really have to give Smith a shot

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
also before drafting a XWR ... I'd really have to give Smith a shot
Not a knock on Smith but no. Let him be a pleasant surprise, not a player that is counted upon.

I don't give this staff a lot of credit, but to expect him to be some great unmined talent is a stretch.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Great game against the Skins, decent game against the Fins, didn't do anything against the Saints (nobody did), then inactive for the next 10 weeks.

I don't see him on the injury report any longer. Is this just more stubbornness from the staff? Tavon has 2 catches on 10 targets the last 8 weeks.

He can't block so the staff deems WRs that cant block useless.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd complain but the WRs core isn't a problem this year. We've got 4 Wrs who could start for the Patriots or Eagles. Lots of good targets for Dak. Devin Smith is an underutilized guy whose going to need a few injuries to get an opportunity.

Number1

Reaction score
Not a knock on Smith but no. Let him be a pleasant surprise, not a player that is counted upon.

I don't give this staff a lot of credit, but to expect him to be some great unmined talent is a stretch.

good point

I just want to see what he and Pollard can do.

every bit of tape I've seen on either suggest they can ball

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Consensus 2nd round pick who was injured before he got here. Not unreasonable to expect there to be lots of talent there.

While we shouldn't just count on him, we should invest snaps in him to develop him to see what he has.

fansince68

Reaction score
I have no idea why Tavon Austin is still on the team. He is terrible as a punt returner and can only be used as a gimmick person on offense. I would have been done with him last year. I would have preferred Smith being active.

I assume it is special teams related also...sort of scary we may have worse special team players on the roster that are not playing.
I agree 1000%. Tavon is trash and a waste of a roster spot.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s almost impossible to know since we haven’t seen him. But I don’t trust the coaching staff to actually play the better players. They are known for starting guys “they trust” over ones who can help the team. Just like with Witten.
:clap:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting.

What is your source on stuff like this?

Just seems contract details like that would not be readily available.

Thanx.
There are sources. Spotrac is the one I typically use. But realistically it's common sense as well. A 3rd round pick doesn't get have the same negotiating power as a 1st round pick like Cooper and Austin, or of a proven free agent like Cobb.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s almost impossible to know since we haven’t seen him. But I don’t trust the coaching staff to actually play the better players. They are known for starting guys “they trust” over ones who can help the team. Just like with Witten.
Yup. I suspect so. Sometimes, it seems the players with the big contracts and/or the 'RKG' get the most snaps, as if their bonus contracts take precedent.