Video: What Happened to Ezekiel Elliott? Baldy Breakdowns

Sydla

Reaction score
I am blaming the O line. I couldn't care less about a salary and to me that's a moot point. The O line is bad against better defenses. Has been all season. It's obvious.

The salary is part of the point. We just paid a TB who is showing diminishing skills only 4 years into the league. Which is not uncommon for TBs that take a lot of punishment.

Zeke hasn't been good. Neither has the OL. You are sitting here ripping people for seemingly giving the OL a pass but you are basically just doing the same thing, giving Elliott a pass.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If there isn't anywhere to run, no RB in the league is going to simply bust through multiple defenders before he even crosses the line of scrimmage. The O line is par at best against good defenses as we've seen all season long. Williams is horrible, Smith and Collins aren't 100%, neither is Martin and Fred doesn't look elite like normal. I just don't understand how this gets dismissed and Elliott is the sole culprit.
Take a look at the a good sampling of Cook's runs. He was hitting the LOS with terrific force and breaking tackles. He makes guys miss when he shoots outside. Zeke used to be that player. Elite backs have to be able to make their own yardage. Zeke is not doing that this year.

The Cowboys OL managed to keep Dak fairly clean all game.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
LOL.

The salary is precisely the point. We just paid a TB who is showing diminishing skills only 4 years into the league. Which is not uncommon for TBs that take a lot of punishment.

Zeke hasn't been good. Neither has the OL. You are sitting here ripping people for seemingly giving the OL a pass but you are basically just doing the same thing, giving Elliott a pass.
You keep parroting the same thing, I get YOUR point. I understand. I'm saying it doesn't make a difference if the run blocking is garbage. I'm not ripping anyone. It's my opinion from what I've watched all season. Don't like, oh well.
And if you could read, I never said Elliott was faultless. You're once again putting words in people's mouths. Would it hurt your feelings less if I said the entire run game sucks? Because it does. Watch the video of all the games we played against the better defenses. There was nowhere to run more than not, expecting any RB to will his way through multiple defenders at the LOS is ignorant at best.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Take a look at the a good sampling of Cook's runs. He was hitting the LOS with terrific force and breaking tackles. He makes guys miss when he shoots outside. Zeke used to be that player. Elite backs have to be able to make their own yardage. Zeke is not doing that this year.

Can't argue, Cook run's hard and is playing at an elite level. Maybe he is a better RB, but that has nothing to do with why our run game is sucky verses better defenses. It just shows the Vikings are a better running team.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Can't argue, Cook run's hard and is playing at an elite level. Maybe he is a better RB, but that has nothing to do with why our run game is sucky verses better defenses. It just shows the Vikings are a better running team.
Have you been Baldinger's breakdown from the OP? Pretty revealing.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

LOS with terrific force?

A little lesson for you. The Vikings did what the Coltds and Rams did. They didnt dominate the LOS, What they did was use the DL speed against them, They allowed the DL to get upfield and allow themselves to get washed. All it took was Cook to have patience and run past them. He is a good talent the vikings bet on him beating LBs which he did. It happened all night. Its what the coaches are getting drilled in the media for.

On the flipside. Dallas handed the ball off to Elliot in shothun way too much. This allowed the DL to collapse and LBers to crash down because they see where he's at and where he;s going because hes in the shutgun with Dak they know where he's at from the get go. Not only handing it to him in shotgun, but running stretch plays from that formation with no lead blocker. Did you notice how MInn used its RB in them types of runs?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Typical CZ

Team under-performing so they are looking for a scapegoat :laugh:

Same thing yall did with Dez :facepalm:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
LOS with terrific force?

A little lesson for you. The Vikings did what the Coltds and Rams did. They didnt dominate the LOS, What they did was use the DL speed against them, They allowed the DL to get upfield and allow themselves to get washed. All it took was Cook to have patience and run past them. He is a good talent the vikings bet on him beating LBs which he did. It happened all night. Its what the coaches are getting drilled in the media for.

On the flipside. Dallas handed the ball off to Elliot in shothun way too much. This allowed the DL to collapse and LBers to crash down because they see where he's at and where he;s going because hes in the shutgun with Dak they know where he's at from the get go. Not only handing it to him in shotgun, but running stretch plays from that formation with no lead blocker. Did you notice how MInn used its RB in them types of runs?
I agree with your on the Cowboys running formations out the gun. I can't stand it, but it's what they do.
You don't see the difference between Cook and Zeke at the point of attack? Cook ran through a lot of tackles. The Cowboys D is very unsound fundamentally, but Cook is a better back than Zeke at this point in time. I don't watch a lot of Vikings games, but Cook's physicality is impressive.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Zeke has been run down to the ground his first 3 years. He's looking old and out of gas. I mentioned it late in the season last year how he was looking slow, timid and afraid to hit tight holes and the edges aggressively like he used to in 2016, 2017 and early 2018 seasons, but I got blasted for saying so. Even during last year's playoff loss at the Rams, Zeke looked like he did this past Sunday night against the Vikings......old, slow, hesitant, out of gas, worn down, etc. I told y'all it was a mistake for Jerry to pay him #1 overall top RB ever pay. Oh, well...

we can’t expect Zeke to have Emmitts durability and think our run blocking line is like the Great Wall.

teams have figured out these run schemes that rely on man vs man

pollard has the speed at this point and the elusiveness to make up for smaller windows,

preserve what Zeke has by using him more

forget a rushing title this year if that’s the hidden agenda.

don’t cover your concern about our D allowing long drives by playing a we need to limit their possession time which seems to be the case

stop all the stunting that allows lanes for RBs to exploit

if a tv announcer can see that ( Collinsworth) why can’t our coaches

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Part of the issue is the o-line is not the same as it was when Zeke was a rookie. The other is that Zeke is not a finesse runner. He's a straight up downhill runner. He is more of a power back.

My opinion is that too much money was spent on Zeke when Pollard was having such a good pre-season and first 2 games. He should be used more because he's not only faster, but he breaks tackles. He has more finesse in my opinion.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Typical CZ

Team under-performing so they are looking for a scapegoat :laugh:

Same thing yall did with Dez :facepalm:
You are correct about the team underperforming. There are 11 guys on the field and the coaching staff is supposed to put the players in best position to win. I don't think the consensus here is to blame Zeke for the loss. The concern is the Cowboys have a guy in the first year of an elite status deal and he is not performing anywhere near that level. Quite frankly, I blame Jerry, not Zeke.,

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Zeke was special as a rookie. He's regressed into 2014 Demarco Murray. Still capable of winning the league rushing title and carry the load but not someone we should be offering a big contract too. Missing training camp did not help but he's gone from being a back that ran like he was 10lbs lighter than he actually is to a back that runs like he's 10 lbs heavier.
I've brought this up several times before over the past couple of years...the comparison to Murray.

Murray had a 91 yard TD run in his rookie year. The longest TD run he had in the next 3 years was 28 yards in 2014, his final year in Dallas. He leaves Dallas and has a 54 yard TD run in 2015, a 75 yard TD run in 2016 and a 75 yard TD run in 2017, his final year in the league.

I wonder how much coaching is involved? Zeke seems to be on the same course. He was explosive in his 1st year and then lost explosiveness in 2nd year, like Demarco's seemed to be lost. Murray left and all of a sudden he was able to hit home runs again.

It's like our DBs we let go to other teams. They can't intercept the ball here but then go to another team and all of a sudden can start picking balls off.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
You guys surprised? why do you think he asked for a new contract 2 years earlier? he knew he does not have it as much as he used to and the fool Jerry fall for it
smart Zeke move

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Paying Zeke is one of the dumbest things Jerry has ever done. .........and the list is long.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Have you been Baldinger's breakdown from the OP? Pretty revealing.
I did. And the biggest thing I noticed was all of the games we lost were against really good defenses, specifically the line. I would be more inclined to blame Elliott on his own if he didn't have great games this season. Regardless of how bad a team is, 140 yards isn't a decline. He could be better, but the line is in trouble.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
You are correct about the team underperforming. There are 11 guys on the field and the coaching staff is supposed to put the players in best position to win. I don't think the consensus here is to blame Zeke for the loss. The concern is the Cowboys have a guy in the first year of an elite status deal and he is not performing anywhere near that level. Quite frankly, I blame Jerry, not Zeke.,
The Cowboys are under-performing but its mostly on which side of the ball? The defense...

Tank Lawerence also received elite money but his unit is massively underperforming...

Yes he is receiving critcism but nowhere at the level Zeke is, and its agenda-filled. Fans are still mad he held out and forced Jerry’s hands. Expecting Zeke to run for 100 yards every single game is unrealistic. We have a LG that stinks and a former all-pro Center not playing up to his usual expectation.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
He's probably had too much wear and tear already. I can understand the decline in speed and quickness, but it looks like he's lost balance and vision too. When is the last time he did his hurdle jump? I havent seen it once this year. It used to happen seemingly nearly once per game.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I agree with your on the Cowboys running formations out the gun. I can't stand it, but it's what they do.
You don't see the difference between Cook and Zeke at the point of attack? Cook ran through a lot of tackles. The Cowboys D is very unsound fundamentally, but Cook is a better back than Zeke at this point in time. I don't watch a lot of Vikings games, but Cook's physicality is impressive.

Theyre two different backs. Cooks needs a zone blocking scheme as most Rbs in the NFL need now. Why? Because that scheme allows them to run to the outside because they cant handle running inside.

Elliot doesnt need that, he can run inside and outside. Is he breaking the long runs? Nope, but what does he have? A ton of 6-15 yrd runs.

Cooks type of RB dont last long. Cook didnt have much of a sample size before this yr. The league will see his tendencies and he will end up just like Barkley and Kamara. You aint hearing about them now. last yr Kamara was the NFL darling this yr before he even got hurt the guy was only getting 50-55 yrds a game.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Barber
Carr
Brad Johnson
Roy Williams(Much worse!!!)
Roy Williams
Vinnie Interceptaverde
Pacman Jones
Cedric Thornton
Nolan Carroll
Byron Bell

Man, I'm gettin' depressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh: