What happens if CD and Parsons dont sign extensions

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
You are only proving the point, it is better to gamble on a lower costing QB than overpay a mediocre one. Just like Dak fell into a good situation with a ready made team, the next guy can do the same. He doesn't have to be Patrick Mahomes. Look at the 9ers, and the Packers as examples

The 49ers were extremely fortunate to stumble on to a QB with the last pick in the draft, but let's keep in mind that it was after essentially trading away 2 drafts worth of picks for our 3rd string QB. Love sat as a first round pick for years and because of that they are now going to have to pay him big time very soon for only one real year of evaluation.

I wouldn't being using either of these examples as how easy it is to win with a cheap QB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You are only proving the point, it is better to gamble on a lower costing QB than overpay a mediocre one. Just like Dak fell into a good situation with a ready made team, the next guy can do the same. He doesn't have to be Patrick Mahomes. Look at the 9ers, and the Packers as examples
I'm not proving your point at all because I'm not on your side my viewpoint is you either blow the team up completely or you try to keep them all together it starts at quarterback and no you can't have a mediocre quarterback unless you have a dynamic defense and special teams and coaching etcetera and we don't have any of that hell we don't even know what our run game is gonna look like right now Prescott been covering up a lot of holes in our offense for a very long time so you might wanna jump off and go have this debate with someone else because I'm telling you right now it starts and ends with the quarterback....

We already see around the league your theory doesn't work you have to have a generational type defense like the Ravens have had and other teams you know when they get monikers our defense hasn't been anywhere near that I mean not even close that's why I said get rid of Parsons geeks tank and yeah guys like Martin blow it all up start with all these young guys and let's start over or you try to find a way to keep Prescott and then sign these guys why do you think they're not signed right now because the front office waiting to see what happens with Prescott that's why there's no need to give those dudes big contracts because they're not doing anything in big games either I mean if your theory was correct we wouldn't be having that problem in the playoff game where our defense unlike the 49ers being in the same position at halftime in the playoffs down by 21 our defense gave up 21 straight points to start the half their special teams and defense held that game close enough and made enough plays in the second-half to let their offense catch up ours did not our defense was horrible you can't start with the same defensive players and act like they're like the Ravens defenses that held teams under 11 points for an entire year are you nuts that's the only way you get away with the deal first and Jim mcmahons and Brad Johnsons of the world or how you go to a championship game with the likes of garoppolo or even portals and Sanchez yes we've seen some dudes that have got to games but you forget how they also had to have a dynamic run game a dynamic defense and a dynamic coaching staff none of which we have any of that that you think we could just put any mediocre guy at quarterback with what we have on this team right now no.... Absolutely not I get what you think in your mind that it could be but Dan Quinn was one of the biggest problems around here Nolan marinelli we go way back to Romo in 2014 losing mainly because of defense 2016 it was the defense 2018 it was the defense if we had a dynamic defense you can't have Trayvon diggs not breaking up that pass on kittles and not getting that interception that hit him in the hands that's not championship defense you're not special if you don't make those plays and then we saw it pop up again first series against Green Bay in the playoffs 7 easy points they didn't even put up a any kind of resistance the whole entire game and you think we could just get by....

Nope I am not making your point you're making mine...

Other quarterbacks around the league making as much or more is not keeping teams from building the teams around them that's a bunch of nonsense so you either kick them all or you start over you wanna rebuild that's a rebuild you take your best assets and you get draft picks for them...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Even if Lamb was upset at Dak for real or perceived mistakes in the Green Bay game, a leader rallies the troops tells Dak or whomever 'lets' go man , we got this, let's get after these guys' he doesn't pout on the bench in the first damn quarter.

You going to pay this guy 30 million a year? Not with my money.
Actually if it was just 30 I could live with it but you saw A.J. Brown just got 33 and I'm almost betting somehow Jefferson and or jamar chase are both they're going to be wanting at least 33.5 or 34 then that's gonna look at CD lamb is gonna be having his hand out if it was just 30 I might give it to him... That is why they need to negotiate and hopefully they can work something out... you do realize there's some backup you know #2 wide receivers like Smith I can't remember the other guy but they're both making around 27 so yes the starter is gonna be asking for 30... Yes these market setting contracts with the salary cap ever growing seemed like a lot but they're just part of the business of the NFL now...

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Actually if it was just 30 I could live with it but you saw A.J. Brown just got 33 and I'm almost betting somehow Jefferson and or jamar chase are both they're going to be wanting at least 33.5 or 34 then that's gonna look at CD lamb is gonna be having his hand out if it was just 30 I might give it to him... That is why they need to negotiate and hopefully they can work something out... you do realize there's some backup you know #2 wide receivers like Smith I can't remember the other guy but they're both making around 27 so yes the starter is gonna be asking for 30... Yes these market setting contracts with the salary cap ever growing seemed like a lot but they're just part of the business of the NFL now...
No i get it, you have to pay for top performers that's the nature of the league, I'm just saying that Lamb isn't the guy to give the money to. You were right in a previous post if we want to get rid of Prescott for under performing in the playoffs, then why are we paying Lamb and Parsons?

Prescott was second in the league for MVP and if they want to say regular season wonder, fair enough, but how do you keep from placing the other two into the same narrative.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I'm not proving your point at all because I'm not on your side my viewpoint is you either blow the team up completely or you try to keep them all together it starts at quarterback and no you can't have a mediocre quarterback unless you have a dynamic defense and special teams and coaching etcetera and we don't have any of that hell we don't even know what our run game is gonna look like right now Prescott been covering up a lot of holes in our offense for a very long time so you might wanna jump off and go have this debate with someone else because I'm telling you right now it starts and ends with the quarterback....

We already see around the league your theory doesn't work you have to have a generational type defense like the Ravens have had and other teams you know when they get monikers our defense hasn't been anywhere near that I mean not even close that's why I said get rid of Parsons geeks tank and yeah guys like Martin blow it all up start with all these young guys and let's start over or you try to find a way to keep Prescott and then sign these guys why do you think they're not signed right now because the front office waiting to see what happens with Prescott that's why there's no need to give those dudes big contracts because they're not doing anything in big games either I mean if your theory was correct we wouldn't be having that problem in the playoff game where our defense unlike the 49ers being in the same position at halftime in the playoffs down by 21 our defense gave up 21 straight points to start the half their special teams and defense held that game close enough and made enough plays in the second-half to let their offense catch up ours did not our defense was horrible you can't start with the same defensive players and act like they're like the Ravens defenses that held teams under 11 points for an entire year are you nuts that's the only way you get away with the deal first and Jim mcmahons and Brad Johnsons of the world or how you go to a championship game with the likes of garoppolo or even portals and Sanchez yes we've seen some dudes that have got to games but you forget how they also had to have a dynamic run game a dynamic defense and a dynamic coaching staff none of which we have any of that that you think we could just put any mediocre guy at quarterback with what we have on this team right now no.... Absolutely not I get what you think in your mind that it could be but Dan Quinn was one of the biggest problems around here Nolan marinelli we go way back to Romo in 2014 losing mainly because of defense 2016 it was the defense 2018 it was the defense if we had a dynamic defense you can't have Trayvon diggs not breaking up that pass on kittles and not getting that interception that hit him in the hands that's not championship defense you're not special if you don't make those plays and then we saw it pop up again first series against Green Bay in the playoffs 7 easy points they didn't even put up a any kind of resistance the whole entire game and you think we could just get by....

Nope I am not making your point you're making mine...

Other quarterbacks around the league making as much or more is not keeping teams from building the teams around them that's a bunch of nonsense so you either kick them all or you start over you wanna rebuild that's a rebuild you take your best assets and you get draft picks for them...
What people are not factoring into the equation is the notion that Dallas wants to wait to resign Dak, so they don't keep kicking dead money down the street. If they eat the entire CAP hit this year on Dak, that resets their ability to plan for future CAP hits without pushing current and past monies paid to Dak into future CAP hits. If they bite the bullet this year, then that puts them in a better situation for the future. They also still have another year for Micah because they picked up his 5th year option. They only need to sign CeeDee and Dak after this season. They don't have to sign Micah. And they can franchise CeeDee. This means Dak is the only "must-sign" player. Resetting the clock on the CAP involves eating Dak's entire CAP hit this year - which might be their logic.

Of course, none of us knows what is the strategy. But the reality is that EVERY TEAM has to take a big CAP hit at some point. The cannot just keep pushing dead money into the future forever. For most teams, this means blowing up the team and restarting. It appears Dallas is taking the CAP hit this season for Dak, and that gives them flexibility for the future. They appear to be trying to do it WITHOUT blowing the team up. The Patriots were successful in doing this after their 2011 Super Bowl loss to the Giants. They didn't tank, and they didn't get rid of Brady. But they did have some lean talent years for 2 seasons in 2012 & 2013 - or maybe just call it a youth movement.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
No i get it, you have to pay for top performers that's the nature of the league, I'm just saying that Lamb isn't the guy to give the money to. You were right in a previous post if we want to get rid of Prescott for under performing in the playoffs, then why are we paying Lamb and Parsons?

Prescott was second in the league for MVP and if they want to say regular season wonder, fair enough, but how do you keep from placing the other two into the same narrative.
Actually, we are agreeing in a different way, just saying it differently...maybe seeing it differently

I'm saying you either keep all three or you add in Trayvon diggs and then you just blow this whole thing up if Prescott isn't saying if he's staying then you pay them all that means the window will be open trust me this twelve win team three straight years two division titles I mean with Prescott's never had a losing season when he's healthy and he's been to the playoffs 5 out of eight seasons so you either keep them all or you blow it all up and get rid of them all..

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You all do realize that, in 2025, once the cap increases and the extra money from 2024 gets rolled over, that Dallas will have in excess of $100 million of cap space?

And that, if they do each deal correctly, they can pay Dak, CeeDee, and Micah and still have well over $25 million left over to use?

There is no need to blow this team up. It's just that the Jones boys notoriously sit on their hands and let the market dictate what they pay and then they end up overspending. Watch them cave at the last minute next March and make Dak the highest paid QB ever.

Watch them wait with Lamb, see Jamar Chase reset the market, and then have to pay him even more than if they just did it now. And same with Parsons.

And then they can cry "salary cap" as an excuse to do nothing in free agency....AGAIN.