What happens if (or when) Moore and Garrett don't see eye to eye

Dre11

Reaction score
As the season progresses and it gets to a point that Moore and Garrett don't see eye to eye on the plays or game plan in general? Will Moore have the say so on game and halftime adjustments or will Garrett try to retain that power?

The head coach will have final say. Not hard

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
58909_franchise_icon0007.jpg

As the season progresses and it gets to a point that Moore and Garrett don't see eye to eye on the plays or game plan in general? Will Moore have the say so on game and halftime adjustments or will Garrett try to retain that power?

glimmerman

Reaction score
The message is very very clear from Jerry:

Garrett is currently still the HC, but hes on thin ice on the last year of his contract. The team is filled with talent and it has enough talent to compete for a championship and needs to do better than its doing under Garrett. The offense is boring and predictable and Linehan and Garrett's offense needs to go. We need a modern style offense that maximizes the talent we have. Moore is now going to run the offense and Garrett needs to stay out of the way for anything other then fatherly advice if need be.
I just hope that Moore can implement enough of a new style to make a huge difference and take advantage of our talent.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
You mean if he doesn’t succeed more than he already has?

He’s accomplished a lot as HC. The team hasn’t gotten over the hump, but building a team that wins more than other teams in the conference over three seasons into a current contender is already delivering much more than the 80% of the site who repeatedly told me he’d “never get over .500” predicted. Building contending teams with two different QBs is also an accomplishment. He’s already proven I was right that he’s a good coach. It’s ok that I’m the only one that says so.

He needs to prove now he can get a good team to a Superbowl and then win one.
For the official record...
I was behind him and gave him the credit for rebuilding our aging (old) team without being terrible.

Now I have doubts he can, as you said, get over the hump. And as you’ve said he is a good administrator. I don’t believe he’s good with the strategy of the game. Nor does he have a feel for the game.

His numerous clock management issues and inability to adjust(Atlanta game was one of many times)makes me think that we can do better.

And as I’ve said numerous times on the sidelines he doesn’t appear(yes I don’t see everything,,but I watch other coaches and they talk to players and coaches)to really know what he should be doing. Maybe he masks that with his unending clapping-and that’s not I shot at him. I believe that’s a strong possibility. I’m open and asking to be persuaded to see that I’m wrong.

If he does succeed(more that he has) like winning some big playoff games than I’ll give him credit.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the official record...
I was behind him and gave him the credit for rebuilding our aging (old) team without being terrible.

Now I have doubts he can, as you said, get over the hump. And as you’ve said he is a good administrator. I don’t believe he’s good with the strategy of the game. Nor does he have a feel for the game.

His numerous clock management issues and inability to adjust(Atlanta game was one of many times)makes me think that we can do better.

And as I’ve said numerous times on the sidelines he doesn’t appear(yes I don’t see everything,,but I watch other coaches and they talk to players and coaches)to really know what he should be doing. Maybe he masks that with his unending clapping-and that’s not I shot at him. I believe that’s a strong possibility. I’m open and asking to be persuaded to see that I’m wrong.

If he does succeed(more that he has) like winning some big playoff games than I’ll give him credit.

That’s all you can really ask for.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While Jason must have some input, his father in law makes all the calls.....don't ever believe anything else

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is truly one of THE most important questions of 2019.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Im once again excited that we drafted 2 rbs. We spend more money on our oline than just about anybody and it makes sense to have a few guys producing that can carry the team when zeke hits a bad streak at scoring etc.
Maximize the investment in the oline by having multiple run threats on the field and using them all.

Olawale, Pollard, Austin, Cobb are all complements to Zeke who can be on the field when he is. I doubt that's just a fluke in our player acquisition.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys FO has already committed themselves to support Moore in his decisions. It should prove extremely intriguing to see if they stand by that commitment or not if an irate impasse might to come to the fore between Moore and Garrett. That would surely have a chance of posing a really nasty scenario, potentially imposing a threat to both Moore and Garrett. If the FO stood behind Moore as promised, I could picture JG backing off.

Last edited:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys FO has already committed themselves to support Moore in his decisions. It should prove extremely intriguing to see if they stand by that commitment or not if an irate impasse might to come to the fore between Moore and Garrett. That would surely have a chance of posing a really nasty scenario, potentially imposing a threat to both Moore and Garrett. If the FO stood behind Moore as promised, I could picture JG backing off.
I think they are all in. That's the way it has been - success or not. Gave Linehan the green light for a long time. Why would they change now? Garrett will take some chances on staff- otherwise, he would be calling the plays to save his job
Really don't like Jerry airing the dirty laundry in public.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Here’s how it went down again in real life for anybody who doesn’t remember:

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Jerry-Jones-Solidly-Behind-Jason-Garrett-Kris-Richard-504392241.html?amp=y

So, 3 days before the firing Jason was running interference Iike he always does with these things and Jerry was telegraphing that we’d be looking at replacements at the Senior Bowl. The Senior Bowl was about ten days after those comments above.

Three days later, the team announced they fired Linehan. However it went down, they decided not to wait the ten days to announce.

And then there were other rumors floating around that Linehan was on the outs much earlier in the season...that he was involved at all in the OL coaching change, for example. On top of rumors like this one that it was actually Garrett who spearheaded the change:

I don’t know how it all actually went down as we don’t have access to those details. I’m arguing, as I usually do, against drawing stupid conclusions that can’t be supported without them. I know you’re in the pro-stupid conclusions camp—and that’s fine—I just feel bad bursting your bubble here again when your opinions on this topic clearly give you so much comfort and joy, so I was trying to be nice.

LOL...…….I guess you didn't read the article you posted. It says quite clearly even from Garrett and Jones mouth that Jones is the one doing the hiring and firing.

Here, let me highlight it for you:

Jones’ attitude begs the question whether Garrett has contractual authority to hire and fire assistant coaches.

“You know, like with everything they’re all collaborative decisions,” Garrett said. “I do not own the team. Jerry Jones owns the team.

And from all of this you come to the conclusion that It was Garrett's call?

So the opinion of one reporter trumps the words of Garrett and Jones?

Ok, lets really talk about stupid conclusions.

But you are right about one thing...………………...there is a huge CAMP of people that understand the dynamics of how Jones works here.

So your not in the "pro stupid camp" as you say. Your just on stupid island all by yourself.

Lets just look the facts about Jones and Garrett shall we, and see what "pro stupid conclusions" you came to?

1. Garret is a lame duck coach without a renewed contract in his last year.
IDGIT CONCLUSION: Garrett is doing a fantastic job and Jones is head over heals of the job he is doing.

2. Garrett announces that no major changes to the coaching staff will happen. Jerry tells the whole world that he makes the decision:
IDGIT CONCLUSION: Garrett made the decision to fire linehan and hire Moore

3. Garrett WAS the HC AND OC, but now is ONLY the HC.
IDGIT CONCLUSION: Garrett was a great OC and Jones loved the job he was doing with the offense

4. Garrett WAS calling plays but was stripped of that duty as well.
IDGIT conclusion: Garrett is great at calling plays and Jones loved the job that he was doing

5. Jerrys states publicly that he wants Moore's ideas and offensive philosophy instituted and to "let him know if they aren't".
IDGIOT conclusion: Garrett has say with the offense and Garrett decides what happens with the offense

The whole board knows all about you, you stand out to say the least.

YOU ARE "THAT GUY" :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL...…….I guess you didn't read the article you posted. It says quite clearly even from Garrett and Jones mouth that Jones is the one doing the hiring and firing.

Jones’ attitude begs the question whether Garrett has contractual authority to hire and fire assistant coaches.

“You know, like with everything they’re all collaborative decisions,” Garrett said. “I do not own the team. Jerry Jones owns the team.

But you are right about one thing...………………...there is a huge CAMP of people that understand the dynamics of how Jones works here.

So your not in the "pro stupid camp" as you say. Your just on stupid island all by yourself.

Lets just look the facts about Jones and Garrett shall we, and see what "pro stupid conclusions" you came to?

IDGIT CONCLUSION: Garrett is doing a fantastic job and Jones is head over heals of the job he is doing.

2. Garrett announces that no major changes to the coaching staff will happen. Jerry tells the whole world that he makes the decision:

IDGIT CONCLUSION: Garrett was a great OC and Jones loved the job he was doing with the offense

IDGIT conclusion: Garrett is great at calling plays and Jones loved the job that he was doing

5. Jerrys states publicly that he wants Moore's ideas and offensive philosophy instituted and to "let him know if they aren't".
IDGIOT conclusion: Garrett has say with the offense and Garrett decides what happens with the offense

I’m just ignoring your weird made-up synopses as there’s no point wading into that nonsense. But as closely as you say you follow the team, it can’t actually be just dawning on you how things work with the Cowboys, can it?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Moore is a 1st year OC. I'd be shocked if Garret wasn't all over the offense.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think they are all in. That's the way it has been - success or not. Gave Linehan the green light for a long time. Why would they change now? Garrett will take some chances on staff- otherwise, he would be calling the plays to save his job
Really don't like Jerry airing the dirty laundry in public.

Exactly -- the 'Boys have a way of doing things that doesn't change just to change. Garrett dances the way Jerry plays the music. If he tells Kellen to call the plays as Kellen sees fit, it's a good bet that JG will go with it, without question.

Jerry has never been timid about divulging more than he should, no matter what. It's my edumacated guess that he won't change anytime soon. It's close to impossible to teach an old dog new tricks, especially when he happens to own the doggone team. :D

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Garrett is the head coach. Every other coach is aligned under him. Of course Garrett gets the final say. The assistant coaches have the choice to do things the head coach's way or to resign. Period!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m just ignoring your weird made-up synopses as there’s no point wading into that nonsense. But as closely as you say you follow the team, it can’t actually be just dawning on you how things work with the Cowboys, can it?

Nothing made up, only the facts. Jones and Garrett direct quotes on who does the hiring and firing and who makes the decision.

Heck you still think that Garrett made the decision to fire linehan and hire Moore. You still think that Garrett himself decided to give up play calling. You still think it was Garrett that decided that he would no longer be the OC.

Its been how many years with Garrett and Jones you STILL have no clue how it works here?

You can ignore the facts and truth all you want. Its going to keep coming at you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing made up, only the facts. Jones and Garrett direct quotes on who does the hiring and firing and who makes the decision.

Heck you still think that Garrett made the decision to fire linehan and hire Moore. You still think that Garrett himself decided to give up play calling. You still think it was Garrett that decided that he would no longer be the OC.

Its been how many years with Garrett and Jones you STILL have no clue how it works here?

You can ignore the facts and truth all you want. Its going to keep coming at you.

Like I said, I ignored it either way. It can keep coming at me if it wants. My capacity to ignore nonsense is pretty impressive.

As you’re still mischaracterizing things I’ve actually said in the post I’ve replied to here, I made the right call.

Sydla

Reaction score

My gut says JJT is kind of spinning what happened (or his source which could be Garrett or someone close to Garrett). I suspect Jerry wanted Linehan gone, went to Garrett to ask if he agreed and Garrett, being the puppet he is, largely agreed. So in one perverted sense, you could argue that Garrett "wanted" him fired when in fact, Garrett just went along with Jerry's decision.

As you pointed out, Garrett kind of admitted in his statement that it wasn't his sole call. He also stated clearly that Jerry has final say on everything.

Jerry, himself, is also quoted as saying he "reserves the right to change his mind" on Linehan prior to the firing. If Garrett was making the call, why does what Jerry and his mind think matter?

Last edited: