What happens if (or when) Moore and Garrett don't see eye to eye

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The head coach will have final say. Not hard
Garrett is the head coach. Every other coach is aligned under him. Of course Garrett gets the final say. The assistant coaches have the choice to do things the head coach's way or to resign. Period!

The last coach to have the final say on anything around here was Bill Parcells, and he only lasted a few years.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Its fallacy for anyone to think Garrett has ever been a controlling head coach.

Exactly, Moore was hired as OC so he will OC. Garrett will function as HC the way he always has.

And to the OP, what happens if there is a major conflict between the two or poor production? The same thing that happened to Linehan.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
The head coach will have final say. Not hard
He's the HC in title only.....he's been relieved of many HC duties due to his incompetence.........watch and learn..........as you stated....Not hard.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My gut says JJT is kind of spinning what happened (or his source which could be Garrett or someone close to Garrett). I suspect Jerry wanted Linehan gone, went to Garrett to ask if he agreed and Garrett, being the puppet he is, largely agreed. So in one perverted sense, you could argue that Garrett "wanted" him fired when in fact, Garrett just went along with Jerry's decision.

As you pointed out, Garrett kind of admitted in his statement that it wasn't his sole call. He also stated clearly that Jerry has final say on everything.

Jerry, himself, is also quoted as saying he "reserves the right to change his mind" on Linehan prior to the firing. If Garrett was making the call, why does what Jerry and his mind think matter?

Why are we pretending suddenly that the Joneses being involved in the hiring of coaches is new information? It’s been that way for decades in Dallas, and both HC and management have said so explicitly on more than one occasion. That’s how it works.

Whatever went down with Linehan is speculation, as I said above. Personally, I believe it was probably tied to the power struggle from last offseason, where Linehan won and the position coaches were sent packing. When things didn’t improve, and with Dak maybe backing Moore as an in-house candidate, the writing was on the wall. Even Hurns was tweeting happy tweets the day Linehan was dismissed. So was Dez. And players (Zeke and Dak) now are openly saying they’re excited to have a coach who will listen to them re what they’re seeing on the field.

Whatever the dysfunction was, it was real. And it went back a lot farther than Jan 15th of last year, or whatever the date was on the article I posted above. Garrett owns that, as it happened on his watch on his primary side of the ball, despite the team’s relative success last season. They tackled it by promoting a guy a year early rather than bringing in someone with experience to a coaching staff fighting for an extension. I’m curious to see how Moore does, but this is a move Jerry made to avoid committing more years to a more qualified candidate.

Of course Jason was deeply involved with this process here as it reflects directly on his team and his prospects for his own next extension. It’s a big gamble. We’ll see how it plays out.

Dre11

Reaction score
He's the HC in title only.....he's been relieved of many HC duties due to his incompetence.........watch and learn..........as you stated....Not hard.

Obviously you been fed b's. He's still manages and oversees the coaches, he still run the operation of team practices and other team functions. Hes still the leader of the football side . Those are the job of the Head coach. Come out of that non existent universe you're in.

Dre11

Reaction score
Why are we pretending suddenly that the Joneses being involved in the hiring of coaches is new information? It’s been that way for decades in Dallas, and both HC and management have said so explicitly on more than one occasion. That’s how it works.

Whatever went down with Linehan is speculation, as I said above. Personally, I believe it was probably tied to the power struggle from last offseason, where Linehan won and the position coaches were sent packing. When things didn’t improve, and with Dak maybe backing Moore as an in-house candidate, the writing was on the wall. Even Hurns was tweeting happy tweets the day Linehan was dismissed. So was Dez. And players (Zeke and Dak) now are openly saying they’re excited to have a coach who will listen to them re what they’re seeing on the field.

Whatever the dysfunction was, it was real. And it went back a lot farther than Jan 15th of last year, or whatever the date was on the article I posted above. Garrett owns that, as it happened on his watch on his primary side of the ball, despite the team’s relative success last season. They tackled it by promoting a guy a year early rather than bringing in someone with experience to a coaching staff fighting for an extension. I’m curious to see how Moore does, but this is a move Jerry made to avoid committing more years to a more qualified candidate.

Of course Jason was deeply involved with this process here as it reflects directly on his team and his prospects for his own next extension. It’s a big gamble. We’ll see how it plays out.

This was explained by Broaddus that Linehan was given more power and eventually let go . It was also said Garrett wanted Linehan fired. They almost did it early in the season.

Sydla

Reaction score

I am not pretending anything. I've always known Jerry has control over everything, even picking the assistants. I was just providing additional context and facts to the discussion. I think JJT spun a narrative that Garrett made the call with his report that lost credibility when Jerry and Jason said what they said.

Sydla

Reaction score
This was explained by Broaddus that Linehan was given more power and eventually let go . It was also said Garrett wanted Linehan fired. They almost did it early in the season.

And yet we have Garrett and Jerry basically saying Jerry made the call, not Garrett.

Garrett can think or feel whatever he wanted............... he had no real authority to fire and then hire a new OC. That was all Jerry.

_sturt_

Reaction score
As the season progresses and it gets to a point that Moore and Garrett don't see eye to eye on the plays or game plan in general? Will Moore have the say so on game and halftime adjustments or will Garrett try to retain that power?

I haven't read anything here but the OP, but hopefully in 5 pages of replies there is someone out in CowboyZone land who either is employed or who has been employed... and who, thus, probably understands the concept that when your job is on the line, you tend to be VERY conscientious to monitor the work of employees under you whose success/failure has GREAT implication to your ability to KEEP your job.

Make that VERY VERY conscientious, when the underling with that level of responsibility is 29 friggin years-old.

It's just jaw-dropping to me, really it is.

I'll keep saying it, nonetheless because not everyone was necessarily paying close attention to the 3 weeks between Linehan's firing and Moore's hiring...

Jerry, Stephen and Jason ALL said at SOME point in that three week interim words to the effect that the 2019 offense will be a group effort, what with the people in the offensive room who were already there... Nussmeier, Columbo, and Kitna were all specified as having input.

Moore, then, is the coordinator in the actual sense of the term. He is not going to function as the offensive "director," like Linehan did, and in whom Jason had confidence because they had always worked well together.

Ultimately, it ALL is Garrett's offense. Succeed or fail, Garrett will be responsible. Moore will heavily coached up by Garrett as to what can go in the playbook, and what plays can be called when.

Mere speculation? No. Well-informed, only-reasonable speculation.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Obviously you been fed b's. He's still manages and oversees the coaches, he still run the operation of team practices and other team functions. Hes still the leader of the football side . Those are the job of the Head coach. Come out of that non existent universe you're in.
Of course he does....:laugh:

plasticman

Reaction score
Jason Garrett has absolute authority when it comes to the game plan, he is not a figurehead, he just has a jerk of a boss that likes to claim credit when things go right.

Moore wouldn't be on the staff is he wasn't already taught to see eye to eye with Jason. He is not Jerry's discovery, he is a Garrett"s prodigy.

Jerry has proven, time and again, the old saying that people will believe whatever they are told just so long as it is constantly repeated.

Dre11

Reaction score
And yet we have Garrett and Jerry basically saying Jerry made the call, not Garrett.

Garrett can think or feel whatever he wanted............... he had no real authority to fire and then hire a new OC. That was all Jerry.

For whatever reason you people ignore that the decisions aren't Jerry's alone, it's been said a thousand times within the organization and outside the organization that the decision are collaborated decisions, and have been that way for years.

This was not an easy decision because of how highly we regard Scott Linehan as a football coach and as a person,” Garrett said in a statement. “He and I had some really positive, substantive and open discussions which took place in the latter part of this week, and we ultimately agreed that it would be in the best interest of all of the parties involved if we were to make a change at this position. This was very much a mutual decision, and there was a great deal of common ground and shared understanding between both of us during our meetings. Scott has had an incredibly positive impact on our football team. He has been instrumental in the development and success of a significant number of our veteran and younger players. He is an outstanding football coach, a great friend and we wish him and his family nothing but the absolute best moving forward.”

Sydla

Reaction score
For whatever reason you people ignore that the decisions aren't Jerry's alone, it's been said a thousand times within the organization and outside the organization that the decision are collaborated decisions, and have been that way for years.

This was not an easy decision because of how highly we regard Scott Linehan as a football coach and as a person,” Garrett said in a statement. “He and I had some really positive, substantive and open discussions which took place in the latter part of this week, and we ultimately agreed that it would be in the best interest of all of the parties involved if we were to make a change at this position. This was very much a mutual decision, and there was a great deal of common ground and shared understanding between both of us during our meetings. Scott has had an incredibly positive impact on our football team. He has been instrumental in the development and success of a significant number of our veteran and younger players. He is an outstanding football coach, a great friend and we wish him and his family nothing but the absolute best moving forward.”

Jerry has final say. You can put whatever spin on it you want to make Garrett seem more valuable and powerful in the hierarchy of this franchise, but Garrett has little say in matters outside of game plan, play calls, etc. Jerry (and Stephen) have final say on players, contracts, coaches, etc.

Is there some collaboration? Sure. But no owner wields as much power over day to day operations as Jerry and no coach is as neutered as Garrett is.

Let's put it another way. If Jerry Jones wanted Linehan to coach here in 2019, he'd be coaching here regardless of what Garrett would have wanted.

Dre11

Reaction score
Jerry has final say. You can put whatever spin on it you want to make Garrett seem more valuable and powerful in the hierarchy of this franchise, but Garrett has little say in matters outside of game plan, play calls, etc. Jerry (and Stephen) have final say on players, contracts, coaches, etc.

Is there some collaboration? Sure. But no owner wields as much power over day to day operations as Jerry and no coach is as neutered as Garrett is.

Let's put it another way. If Jerry Jones wanted Linehan to coach here in 2019, he'd be coaching here regardless of what Garrett would have wanted.

Lol...no Jerry doesn't, things have changed in the cowboys organization and Front office. While Jerry is still out in front of everything , there's evidence the decisions are not merely his.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol...no Jerry doesn't, things have changed in the cowboys organization and Front office. While Jerry is still out in front of everything , there's evidence the decisions are not merely his.

Yeah, his son is more involved. But Jerry and his son have final say. Garrett ultimately admitted that himself outside of his prepared statement on Linehan.

You are either naive or just blind to the reality that no owner wields the power over football operations like the Jones' do. This idea that Garrett has real clout and power is often pushed by guys who are just fans of his. Linehan is gone and replaced by Moore for one reason - Jerry (and I would guess Stephen) wanted a change.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
As the season progresses and it gets to a point that Moore and Garrett don't see eye to eye on the plays or game plan in general? Will Moore have the say so on game and halftime adjustments or will Garrett try to retain that power?
What will happen to you if they do?

Dre11

Reaction score
Yeah, his son is more involved. But Jerry and his son have final say. Garrett ultimately admitted that himself outside of his prepared statement on Linehan.

You are either naive or just blind to the reality that no owner wields the power over football operations like the Jones' do. This idea that Garrett has real clout and power is often pushed by guys who are just fans of his. Linehan is gone and replaced by Moore for one reason - Jerry (and I would guess Stephen) wanted a change.

I never disputed that he uses his power more, but all the owners have the same power when it comes to their team it's how it's used. Snyder was every bit what Jones was until he ultimately stepped aside until this draft.
Jones has never disputed the collaborative effort within the organization except to say he breaks all ties. I don't know what owner don't have that power.

There are collaborative decisions when it comes to everything
Garrett reminded us that Jerry Jones owns the Dallas Cowboys when asked who makes the final decisions on things, but he was specific to say that it was a collaborative effort. The brain-trust is an important group.