What happens if we go 2-6 over the 2nd half?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Romo was the real killer. Bryant has been back for two games and there is always the threat that someone forgets he is pretty good and fails to use him effectively.

Well, yes, having a great receiver and no one to throw him the ball makes him just a good decoy. However, his effect on the game could be seen Sunday even with Cassel at QB. Our offense did enough to win for once without Romo and Dez had a lot to do with that.

Staubacher

Reaction score
We won't.

We're going 6-1 or 5-2 when Romo gets back. We're barely losing these games. With Tony, most of them will be comfortable victories.

And we're beating Tampa Bay on Sunday without him.

We are not beating Carolina comfortably and we're not winning in Green Bay

IAmLegend

Reaction score
We are not beating Carolina comfortably and we're not winning in Green Bay

That's why I said "most games." And I think Carolina is overrated, personally. Wouldn't be shocked if we pulled the upset.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
As the season progressed, they did. The first half of the season, though, they were that bad because they didn't have Manning just like we've mostly been this bad because we don't have Romo.

This last game is the only one I hang completely on the defense, even with Cassel's interception. The only other one where I felt the defense deserved a lot of the blame was Atlanta, but the offense made it tough on the defense by sucking in the second half.

Now, there are certainly a lot of factors that go into this much suckage, such as the special teams giving up the TD against the Giants, but if anyone thinks we wouldn't have a much better record at this point with a healthy Romo is out of their mind.

Curious what you think our record would be right now if Romo had not been hurt?

It's the offense, defense, and special teams. My beef isn't really just with the players my beef is with the owner of the team. The dysfunction he brings infiltrates the coaching staff and all the way to the players as well.

Also, there is no doubt in my mind if Romo was playing we would have won some of these 6 games we have played. I don't think we would have won them all but we would have won more than we lost, that is for sure. At the end of the day though, with this coaching staff, this team would not be going very far. Last year was an outlier season. Our run game hid a lot of other problems(Coaching, defense, etc) and helped us get as far as we did. With JG the record has been 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 12-4, and now we are headed for another 8-8 or worse. So part of me wants to pin this on him but truthfully with Jerry running the team, no coach is going to be able to come in here and have full control like they need to. We have been through tons of coaches, tons of players, but there is one common denominator and that is Jerry. 20 years of waste and more to come until he is out of here.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Yes, but our success inordinately depends on Romo, just like the Colts did with Manning. The last game was the only one I didn't feel we lost because of the fall-off on offense we've suffered. Part of that was having Bryant back. Having to go without our top two offensive playmakers was a double whammy.

"All the other playoff teams in the last 10 years have gone 69-67-1 without their starter the next year"

I'm not a big stats guy and I disagree with Percy on several things but the stats he posted here are just too glaring to ignore.. We are talking about past playoff teams without their starter the next year have averaged over 500. Sure, not having Romo hurts real bad but all other playoff teams the past 10 years without their starter the next 10 years averaged over .500. Let that truly sink in. Some of those playoff teams had real good QB's too. There is something really wrong with our team and it goes WAY deeper than the backup QB's,

IrishAnto

Reaction score
With a healthy Romo and Dez, etc. That would put us at 4-12. What changes happen if any? There will be no excuses with a healthy team.

We get a legitimate shot at drafting a viable QB for the future.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If they were to actually go 2-6 over final 8, which has just about same odds as 8-0 btw....

We'd jettison some older vet types (Mincey/McClain/Carr) and attack next season as a fresh start but building team, not a contender.
We'd likely get a new playcaller but overall very few coaching changes.

We'd seriously consider a top flight QB prospect as we did with Manziel previously, but we'd still plan on Romo beign the guy in 2016. Jerry is too old to start fresh with a rookie QB.

All in all it would suck for this year but having the most talented 4 win roster in football history isn't a bad thing going forward. You get access to elite draft picks, can be free about making changes in free agency with nothign to lose and you get that last place schedule.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
With a healthy Romo and Dez, etc. That would put us at 4-12. What changes happen if any? There will be no excuses with a healthy team.

They'll blame it on Hardy as a distraction and team cancer just like they/we blamed Terrell Owens ...always a scape goat fellas, always.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's the offense, defense, and special teams. My beef isn't really just with the players my beef is with the owner of the team. The dysfunction he brings infiltrates the coaching staff and all the way to the players as well.

Also, there is no doubt in my mind if Romo was playing we would have won some of these 6 games we have played. I don't think we would have won them all but we would have won more than we lost, that is for sure. At the end of the day though, with this coaching staff, this team would not be going very far. Last year was an outlier season. Our run game hid a lot of other problems(Coaching, defense, etc) and helped us get as far as we did. With JG the record has been 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 12-4, and now we are headed for another 8-8 or worse. So part of me wants to pin this on him but truthfully with Jerry running the team, no coach is going to be able to come in here and have full control like they need to. We have been through tons of coaches, tons of players, but there is one common denominator and that is Jerry. 20 years of waste and more to come until he is out of here.

The point is if we were 6-2 or 5-3 at this point, few would be complaining much about the defense and special teams ... and if they did, they would be ridiculed for it.

I think there would be concern about the defense's struggles in a couple of games and to get turnovers (which might be different if some of our opponents were pressing to catch up) and special team blunders, but overall we'd see this as a season where we are contending, wouldn't be talking about dysfunction, etc.

Lacking Romo has pointed a glaring spotlight on the fact that the defense is still not good enough to carry this team, on special teams woes, on the running back situation (which obviously is affected directly by not having Romo), on coaching inadequacies.

Jerry was GM of the year last year not just because we made all the right moves but because the key players were healthy. Without Romo, last year would have looked a lot like this year.

gimmesix

Reaction score
"All the other playoff teams in the last 10 years have gone 69-67-1 without their starter the next year"

I'm not a big stats guy and I disagree with Percy on several things but the stats he posted here are just too glaring to ignore.. We are talking about past playoff teams without their starter the next year have averaged over 500. Sure, not having Romo hurts real bad but all other playoff teams the past 10 years without their starter the next 10 years averaged over .500. Let that truly sink in. Some of those playoff teams had real good QB's too. There is something really wrong with our team and it goes WAY deeper than the backup QB's,

There's no doubt that this losing streak has pointed out issues with this team that would have otherwise been covered up by Romo's play, just as some of them have been covered up by Romo's play for years.

There also is no doubt that some of the issues with this team have been escalated by not having Romo. The defense isn't as good as it should be but appears worse than it is without Romo making the offense better. The special teams aren't as good as they should be but appear worse without Romo. The running game isn't as good as it should be but appears worse without Romo. The coaching isn't as good as it should be but appears worse without Romo. BECAUSE every mistake, no matter how "minor," is bigger than it would be.

Now, that shouldn't be misconstrued that I don't want the defense to be better, the play-calling to be better, the special teams to be better, etc., but man, we'd be happy with the defense holding Seattle and New York's offenses both to 13 points if we had Romo, we'd be satisfied with the overall coaching and play-calling if we had Romo. Yes, there would be some things to gripe about, but far less reason to voice the gripes.