What happens if we go 2-6 over the 2nd half?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
There's no doubt that this losing streak has pointed out issues with this team that would have otherwise been covered up by Romo's play, just as some of them have been covered up by Romo's play for years.

There also is no doubt that some of the issues with this team have been escalated by not having Romo. The defense isn't as good as it should be but appears worse than it is without Romo making the offense better. The special teams aren't as good as they should be but appear worse without Romo. The running game isn't as good as it should be but appears worse without Romo. The coaching isn't as good as it should be but appears worse without Romo. BECAUSE every mistake, no matter how "minor," is bigger than it would be.

Now, that shouldn't be misconstrued that I don't want the defense to be better, the play-calling to be better, the special teams to be better, etc., but man, we'd be happy with the defense holding Seattle and New York's offenses both to 13 points if we had Romo, we'd be satisfied with the overall coaching and play-calling if we had Romo. Yes, there would be some things to gripe about, but far less reason to voice the gripes.

Listen, I understand where you're coming from but there is a bigger problem at play here that you're not understanding. The problem here is Jerry Jones.. our problems were here before Romo, during Romo's playing years, and will be here after Romo leaves as long as Jerry is in charge. He picks the coaches, he has a huge say so in in the draft room, he doesn't let his coaches do what they want and build their teams the way they want. He is a meddling owner and is the reason we have had 20 years of no success.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I'm not a big stats guy and I disagree with Percy on several things but the stats he posted here are just too glaring to ignore. There is something really wrong with our team and it goes WAY deeper than the backup QB's.
You were one of those criticizing Romo during the 8-8 years. Imagine those teams' record without Romo. That was the point of breaking down team strengths and weaknesses, to compare Romo's ranking with the rankings of the rest of the team. It was a way to filter out Romo's performance so we could judge the rest of the team.

The only difference now is that I don't have to filter out Romo's performance to make the point. The injury did it for me.

But I'm one of those who thought the rest of the team had improved quite a bit since then, so what do I know?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
With a healthy Romo and Dez, etc. That would put us at 4-12. What changes happen if any? There will be no excuses with a healthy team.

fire the entire coaching staff. get rid of a few players, revisit the scouting dept. as their success rate in rounds 2-7 is abysmal...I mean abysmal.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Listen, I understand where you're coming from but there is a bigger problem at play here that you're not understanding. The problem here is Jerry Jones.. our problems were here before Romo, during Romo's playing years, and will be here after Romo leaves as long as Jerry is in charge. He picks the coaches, he has a huge say so in in the draft room, he doesn't let his coaches do what they want and build their teams the way they want. He is a meddling owner and is the reason we have had 20 years of no success.

I would prefer that Jerry hire a GM. I understand that that will never happen with Jerry as owner and it might not happen when he dies if Stephen chooses to follow in his footsteps. I deal with that reality and focus on changes that can actually happen.

In other words, there's no reason to dwell on what problems Jones causes for the team, but instead we should focus on what realistic solutions are available to take care of the problems created.

If you believe we cannot succeed with Jones as owner no matter what we do, then I would suggest that you quit following the team for the sake of your own sanity.

I prefer to focus on the fact that we would be a much better team right now, this season if we had Romo. We would easily be leading the East and likely on target for a return to the playoffs. To succeed beyond that, though, I'd recognize we need more from the rest of this team than what it has been giving us.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You were one of those criticizing Romo during the 8-8 years. Imagine those teams' record without Romo. That was the point of breaking down team strengths and weaknesses, to compare Romo's ranking with the rankings of the rest of the team. It was a way to filter out Romo's performance so we could judge the rest of the team.

The only difference now is that I don't have to filter out Romo's performance to make the point. The injury did it for me.

But I'm one of those who thought the rest of the team had improved quite a bit since then, so what do I know?

Yes, if there is any area of disappointment for me, it's that the defense hasn't taken much of a step forward. I wasn't sure if I should really expect one, but I was hoping for one, especially with the team opting to take risks with its running game (one of which at least seems to be paying off now).

I think last year showed what this team can do with Romo at quarterback with a little support while this year is showing that what support we have around Romo might be smaller than we thought, emphasizing actually how much he means to the success of his team.

Some have understood for years that those 8-8 seasons were not the result of what we had at QB and this year is definitely reflecting that. And people who didn't understand that are surprised that we can't win without him.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
With a healthy Romo and Dez, etc. That would put us at 4-12. What changes happen if any? There will be no excuses with a healthy team.

Honestly, I think Romo should sell his soul to the devil for this yars Super Bowl win.

Jerry can then finally get his soul back from sbxxx.

Then all is well.... In my world!

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I would prefer that Jerry hire a GM.

If I were Jerry, I would "promote" Garrett to GM for the fine job he has done over the years. That saves face and would potentially eliminate two problems depending on the staff that the new GM hires.

Aven8

Reaction score
fire the entire coaching staff. get rid of a few players, revisit the scouting dept. as their success rate in rounds 2-7 is abysmal...I mean abysmal.

Ok I'm satisfied with this as this is what I would do. You can close the thread now!

ufcrules1

Reaction score

My opinion of Romo hasn't changed. Sure, when you take Romo out and put in players like Cassel or Weeden you are going to have a huge fall off because he is way better than them, no surprise there. Also, I think we have plenty of good players and are improved, for sure on the Oline. So you're right that the team has improved... however, the coaching and decision making from the top has not for the most part and because of that, it would take a miracle for the team to do anything special. Last year, that miracle was an amazing run game behind an amazing Oline.

With regards to the 8-8 years, what is the point? Wouldn't it be better to be 4-12 and have a top 5 draft pick? At the end of the day, even with a bunch of top draft picks we would still fail because of the coaching/front office.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to be 4-12 and have a top 5 draft pick? At the end of the day, even with a bunch of top draft picks we would still fail because of the coaching/front office.
No, it wouldn't be. And you answered your own question as to why it wouldn't be. As for the amazing offensive line, how many of those guys go back to the Pro Bowl this year?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
No, it wouldn't be. And you answered your own question as to why it wouldn't be. As for the amazing offensive line, how many of those guys go back to the Pro Bowl this year?

I guess it wouldn't matter if we were 8-8 or 4-12, even if we draft good players the team will still suck overall due to the ownership and coaching.. so yeah, I did answer my own question.. I was thinking out loud when typing it. Not sure how many on the oline will get voted into the pro-bowl but that doesn't mean they aren't pro-bowl caliber players either. This team has plenty of talent on it.. just no clear direction as usual.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
This team has plenty of talent on it.. just no clear direction as usual.
The talent we have is concentrated in too few positions, so bad match ups and key injuries are always potential problems, particularly against well-coached teams.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
The talent we have is concentrated in too few positions, so bad match ups and key injuries are always potential problems, particularly against well-coached teams.

Hey, whatever you want to think is fine. It has been going on for 20 years. Nothing new. We scratch our heads from year to year not being able to pinpoint the exact problem... Some years we point to the oline, some the dline, some the QB, some the receivers, some the RB's, some the special teams, etc. It is a circus and it is that way because of who runs the team. It's clear as day. We have a nut running the team who has a bunch of money and it has lead to ongoing misery for the fan base and it won't stop until he and his son are gone.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Hey, whatever you want to think is fine. It has been going on for 20 years. Nothing new. We scratch our heads from year to year not being able to pinpoint the exact problem... Some years we point to the oline, some the dline, some the QB, some the receivers, some the RB's, some the special teams, etc. It is a circus and it is that way because of who runs the team. It's clear as day. We have a nut running the team who has a bunch of money and it has lead to ongoing misery for the fan base and it won't stop until he and his son are gone.

But how do like those 3 SB's? lol