What has this franchise learned that makes us closer to a SB?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all want to see the Cowboys move to a place where they can compete for a SB or at least a conference championship for the first time in over a quarter century.

So two serious questions:
  1. What has this franchise (and its leadership) learned the last few years that makes us closer to a championship for the first time in 26 seasons?
  2. Is there anything that gives you confidence that this team will make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years?
I’m curious where fans are on this. I’m hoping to be convinced by a compelling argument. Otherwise it seems our hopes to break this cycle of 26 years rests squarely on the shoulders of Lady Luck.

If you are convinced otherwise, let me know why, lol.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
We all want to see the Cowboys move to a place where they can compete for a SB or at least a conference championship for the first time in over a quarter century.

1. What has this franchise (and its leadership) learned the last few years that makes us closer to a championship for the first time in 26 seasons?
  2. Is there anything that gives you confidence that this team will make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years?
I’m curious where fans are on this. I’m hoping to be convinced by a compelling argument. Otherwise it seems our hopes to break this cycle of 26 years rests squarely on the shoulders of Lady Luck.

They've learned nothing.
They've decided to give the coaches, or McClay some leverage on the personalities of this Draft and that's about it.
They are wrong. They are arrogant and they are still reactive because they have no knowledge enough to be forward thinking.

It stinks.

I'll still be here though. I won't spend a cent towards them, nor give them TV ratings, but... dangit...

Why did Jerry Jones have to buy my team?!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is nothing for them to learn. Except how to get over their stubbornness. They already know what to do.
Thing is they don’t change to get it done. That is the stubborn FO.

As to confidence, it is not in the FO.
However, if they follow will MCClay bringing in players, and they do have some decent coaches, though need a few changes.
And they are getting better players, that is enough for me that they can repeat as division champs and go further in the playoffs.
Another year under the same staff and schemes will help more than many feel right now.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I actually, feel better these days about our team. They are drafting better, with purpose in mind. Not saying they are guru's.

Its not always logical or recognizable, but at least they aren't drafting 3 more TE's.

I think for first time in while, we can get to playoffs back to back. Though the conundrum remains, they get real stupid when they need to smarten up. ;)..

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score

I wouldn’t say that I have confidence that we’ll make the playoffs back to back, but I have hope because first of all they expanded the number of teams in the playoffs last year. Secondly we play in the NFC Least.

Then we lose in the first round.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Every defense that has been top 5 over a three year span was big and physical. We are transitioning ourselves to be a big and physical defense.

Dak needs 100 yards on the ground to win. From the highlights I've seen of Tyler Smith he'll be a better run blocker than C.Williams. With the subtraction of Cooper our WR's will be better run blockers. When we won 13 games in 2016 Dak was throwing for about 232 yards a game. Our WR's core may not be as good as they were, but if we can run effectively we don't need them to gain 300 a game.

If you add those two things together we could be a better team than last year. A stronger defense and a better run game are exactly what we need. We won six games in a row last year, because we were gaining almost 200 a game on the ground. If we can get back to that, then we'd be unstoppable.

Shultz still sucks, but they are starting to get the picture. One more off-season and we'll be ready.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I see nothing from this front office outside of their drafting prowess that gives me any hope whatsoever.
We have amateurs running our front office
Which puts us at a disadvantage.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

1. Nothing. If Jerry & Stephen could figure it out it wouldn't take 3 decades.
2. No. Best we can hope for is to catch lightning in a bottle for a season, in spite of Jerry & Stephen.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every defense that has been top 5 over a three year span was big and physical. We are transitioning ourselves to be a big and physical defense.

Dak needs 100 yards on the ground to win. From the highlights I've seen of Tyler Smith he'll be a better run blocker than C.Williams. With the subtraction of Cooper our WR's will be better run blockers. When we won 13 games in 2016 Dak was throwing for about 232 yards a game. Our WR's core may not be as good as they were, but if we can run effectively we don't need them to gain 300 a game.

If you add those two things together we could be a better team than last year. A stronger defense and a better run game are exactly what we need. We won six games in a row last year, because we were gaining almost 200 a game on the ground. If we can get back to that, then we'd be unstoppable.

Shultz still sucks, but they are starting to get the picture. One more off-season and we'll be ready.
Anything our franchise leaders have learned that gives you confidence?

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
They have renamed Rd 2 of the draft the "reach for a star" round. That aside, they haven't learned a thing except how to spend the yacht loads of money Jerry continues to be sitting on. All we have learned is that as Jerry goes more coocoo for Cocoa Puffs, Jr has become big man on campus, and that is not a good thing....ending our hopes for the team hiring a real GM of Foot Ops

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Nothing. If Jerry & Stephen could figure it out it wouldn't take 3 decades.
2. No. Best we can hope for is to catch lightning in a bottle for a season, in spite of Jerry & Stephen.
Apparently money buys endless chances at the NFL craps table. Money is the only thing giving them a chance to play NFL big shot. There’s not another organization in this league that would give any GM 26 chances.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

I dont care about the distractors, Ive been in the fan club before.
Now I am much wiser, age and compassion have something to do with the journey, so I will answer this brilliant post Bobhaze with respect.
Thats what we see taking place clearly within the last 2 drafts at this point, and began seeing in 2000.
That is JJ and SJ stepping off the gas and pressure with this scouting dept. I clearly see a pattern of WM being able to directly communicate with the DC and OC personally with a relationship that is "respected" and "directed" on draft day.
More respect to what McClays' board says, and sticking to it and creating alot of 1st contract talent battles.
Peeps can crack off on JJ and SJ all they want for historical laughs and likes, but for those that have been paying close attention the pattern is easily identifiable.
McClay has earned the respect and is this franchises' silent GM guru.