What has this franchise learned that makes us closer to a SB?

LittleD

Reaction score
Duh! FO loves their guys and loves the strategy employed for the last 7 years. What's not to like? Jerry gets richer, fans flock to games and buy his junk. Stephen gets to play owner and manager of the money.
What's not to like.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's always hope. Every team goes into the off season with hope.....even bad teams have hope, if this or that happens, we can win. In order to do something we've never done, we need to work harder than we ever have. That's the beauty of sport! Players and coaches always have hope and always try to justify it. Fans, not so much.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Regarding the Cap- it seems to me the teams at the top of SB contention- the rams, the Bucs, the ravens, the packers, etc- under the same cap rules we have- somehow don’t let its restrictions stand in the way of signing impactful FAs or putting together an excellent roster.

That’s the thing I wish this FO would learn- how to better utilize cap money to build a better roster. One of the problems for them is they overrate the players they draft and throw long term big money at them at contract time (Randy Gregory for example) and will not throw short term big money at someone they didn’t draft.
But the way the Cowboys uses the CAP is a cyclical: rinse, restructure, repeat. We kick the can until we end up with years of 'hell' ..... which in this cycle was to be 2022 and 2023.
This is where we've taken a different approach, drawn a line in the sand on contracts of platers that were good(ish), but weren't worth the large contracts.
With the available CAP, I would suggest we start with this younger roster and then make the in season trades (like the Rams)... this has always been a problem as we weren't willing to even trade 5th Rds and more importantly we had no CAP to take on the salary (thus increasing the prospect/ draft pick we'd to trade) .
I would caution that for this to happen we'd need a real GM not a bunch of Jones who've a literny of failed negotiations.

Aven8

Reaction score
There's always hope. Every team goes into the off season with hope.....even bad teams have hope, if this or that happens, we can win. In order to do something we've never done, we need to work harder than we ever have. That's the beauty of sport! Players and coaches always have hope and always try to justify it. Fans, not so much.

Right. Cincy was coming off a 4 win season and Zac Taylor was a lame duck.

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's what Jerry needs desperately to learn: For every shiny game changer, there is a blue collar grinder making the game changing plays possible.

W/ the Rams, it was big ol' Ashawn, who made what Donald does even more effective. Blue collar stuffer Greg Gaines helped also.

W/ Cincy, it was signing monstrous top 5 NT DJ Reader, who then made FA acquisitions Ogunjobi and Henrickson all that more effective, as well as Sam Hubbard, the ultimate plugger.

Jerry's WAR DADDY is just not going to be as effective until you put talent around him.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's what Jerry needs desperately to learn: For every shiny game changer, there is a blue collar grinder making the game changing plays possible.

W/ the Rams, it was big ol' Ashawn, who made what Donald does even more effective. Blue collar stuffer Greg Gaines helped also.

W/ Cincy, it was signing monstrous top 5 NT DJ Reader, who then made FA acquisitions Ogunjobi and Henrickson all that more effective, as well as Sam Hubbard, the ultimate plugger.

Jerry's WAR DADDY is just not going to be as effective until you put talent around him.
Excellent points!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We all want to see the Cowboys move to a place where they can compete for a SB or at least a conference championship for the first time in over a quarter century.

So two serious questions:
  1. What has this franchise (and its leadership) learned the last few years that makes us closer to a championship for the first time in 26 seasons?
  2. Is there anything that gives you confidence that this team will make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years?
I’m curious where fans are on this. I’m hoping to be convinced by a compelling argument. Otherwise it seems our hopes to break this cycle of 26 years rests squarely on the shoulders of Lady Luck.

If you are convinced otherwise, let me know why, lol.
OK, I think you have the wrong mindset. as fans, we want superbowls. expectations are that the organization and the ownership have the same goal, thus "learning", "adjusting" and "moving forward". However, non of that applies since the goal of the Cowboys and the ownership is not to win championships, its to be more valuable and make more money. Once you see that, once you understand that, then all the moves we make and have made, the past 20+ years make sense. The learn by adjusting on how to keep fans interested and make more money....we are a decent drafting team, who suck at FA and driven by the bottom line, increasing revenue, while cost is managed through salary cap. so "learn" that on an up cycle you can increase ticket prices, jersey prices and market them and cash in before the down cycle (inevitable).

Every move we make during the down years (cycle) is to find the one or two or three stars that will put the cowboys kind of back on the map and bring fans and their interests back. we were #1 team in home game attendance last year. instead of finding, signing and making the right moves in FA, we made money moves. and raised ticket prices by average of 18%....we have 3 of the top 20 jersey sales. cooper was no longer up high in Jersey sales, was making a lot of money and thus he is gone....he was not worth the investment any longer....they learned, they learned they can milk the fans in the up cycle, then ride the wave during the low cycle (and we know its coming) and find the one or two stars, maybe make a splash FA signing to bring interest back.

just look at the past 20+ years and you clearly see the cycle. we are on the up cycle, prices going up, jersey's selling like hot cakes and cash in while you can....in a couple of years, down cycle is coming. list of excuses. Jerry saying, he will not stand for this and the cowboys fans deserve better than this, blah blah blah.... its inevitable.

we are not winning the superbowl in Jerry's life time or Stephen's for that matter. it has to be a lottery win like luck for it to happen. I am not counting on it, neither do I see it happening with how things are done in Cowboys organization.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all want to see the Cowboys move to a place where they can compete for a SB or at least a conference championship for the first time in over a quarter century.

1. What has this franchise (and its leadership) learned the last few years that makes us closer to a championship for the first time in 26 seasons?
  2. Is there anything that gives you confidence that this team will make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years?
I’m curious where fans are on this. I’m hoping to be convinced by a compelling argument. Otherwise it seems our hopes to break this cycle of 26 years rests squarely on the shoulders of Lady Luck.

We have learned that blind squirrels do not find nuts...........ever......... but can still accumulate lots of stuff they bump into.

kskboys

Reaction score
MM and/or Quinn have the right ideas. Have no idea if they'll be able to complete the process and bring it all together.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, I think you have the wrong mindset. as fans, we want superbowls. expectations are that the organization and the ownership have the same goal, thus "learning", "adjusting" and "moving forward". However, non of that applies since the goal of the Cowboys and the ownership is not to win championships, its to be more valuable and make more money. Once you see that, once you understand that, then all the moves we make and have made, the past 20+ years make sense. The learn by adjusting on how to keep fans interested and make more money....we are a decent drafting team, who suck at FA and driven by the bottom line, increasing revenue, while cost is managed through salary cap. so "learn" that on an up cycle you can increase ticket prices, jersey prices and market them and cash in before the down cycle (inevitable).

Every move we make during the down years (cycle) is to find the one or two or three stars that will put the cowboys kind of back on the map and bring fans and their interests back. we were #1 team in home game attendance last year. instead of finding, signing and making the right moves in FA, we made money moves. and raised ticket prices by average of 18%....we have 3 of the top 20 jersey sales. cooper was no longer up high in Jersey sales, was making a lot of money and thus he is gone....he was not worth the investment any longer....they learned, they learned they can milk the fans in the up cycle, then ride the wave during the low cycle (and we know its coming) and find the one or two stars, maybe make a splash FA signing to bring interest back.

just look at the past 20+ years and you clearly see the cycle. we are on the up cycle, prices going up, jersey's selling like hot cakes and cash in while you can....in a couple of years, down cycle is coming. list of excuses. Jerry saying, he will not stand for this and the cowboys fans deserve better than this, blah blah blah.... its inevitable.

we are not winning the superbowl in Jerry's life time or Stephen's for that matter. it has to be a lottery win like luck for it to happen. I am not counting on it, neither do I see it happening with how things are done in Cowboys organization.
Well said. A very astute summary of the last two decades.

kskboys

Reaction score
They have learned nothing.
Of course, but they appear to be letting Quinn get what he wants. So, possibly stepping out of the way. No more Kelvins and Gavins and Jaylons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JBS

Reaction score
They learned that they weren’t tough enough. Let’s draft a few tough guys and that’ll win us a super bowl!!!!

idiots

kskboys

Reaction score
They learned that they weren’t tough enough. Let’s draft a few tough guys and that’ll win us a super bowl!!!!

idiots
Spot on.

No idea if it'll be enough, but the philosophy has changed a bit.

Wonder who's responsible for the Joseph pick? If it was Quinn, I'd be surprised.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe they learned MM is not their guy but are betting on early fail and promoting Quinn. The contrast between MM and Quinn was obvious from TC to the end of the season. But it's hard to fire a HC who made the playoffs. However a couple poor showings early and it'll happen.

kskboys

Reaction score
I believe they learned MM is not their guy but are betting on early fail and promoting Quinn. The contrast between MM and Quinn was obvious from TC to the end of the season. But it's hard to fire a HC who made the playoffs. However a couple poor showings early and it'll happen.
Not sure why that is a definite conclusion at this point.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

You can be the smartest guy in the room... but like Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

No amount of "Learning," can take the place of having Reggie White lined up for you rushing the QB.