What has this franchise learned that makes us closer to a SB?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont care about the distractors, Ive been in the fan club before.
Now I am much wiser, age and compassion have something to do with the journey, so I will answer this brilliant post Bobhaze with respect.
Thats what we see taking place clearly within the last 2 drafts at this point, and began seeing in 2000.
That is JJ and SJ stepping off the gas and pressure with this scouting dept. I clearly see a pattern of WM being able to directly communicate with the DC and OC personally with a relationship that is "respected" and "directed" on draft day.
More respect to what McClays' board says, and sticking to it and creating alot of 1st contract talent battles.
Peeps can crack off on JJ and SJ all they want for historical laughs and likes, but for those that have been paying close attention the pattern is easily identifiable.
McClay has earned the respect and is this franchises' silent GM guru.
Well said…except the part about McClay being the silent GM. He’s great for his draft input. But has zero power to get the Jones boys to stop hurting this team with their weekly radio shows and endless preening for the cameras and notepads. If WMc could stop that, I would agree he was the silent GM.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Well said…except the part about McClay being the silent GM. He’s great for his draft input. But has zero power to get the Jones boys to stop hurting this team with their weekly radio shows and endless preening for the cameras and notepads. If WMc could stop that, I would agree he was the silent GM.
Thats exactly what I meant Bob, WM is very, very silent.
He is the brain, and JJ/SJ is the lips.

ICP

Reaction score
Seriously?! I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe they have learned anything other than stopping Jerry from chasing the shiny toy in the draft. There's still far too many areas they fail in for me to believe they are anywhere close to being a SB contender

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Seriously?! I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe they have learned anything other than stopping Jerry from chasing the shiny toy in the draft. There's still far too many areas they fail in for me to believe they are anywhere close to being a SB contender
What shiny toy did we chase in this draft?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We are competing for a Super Bowl. It’s just not very likely we’ll get there. Lol

Obviously there’s no reason for them to do anything different. Our franchise is a total success.

And they’ve learned that fans will take and continue supporting whatever they deliver. The rest is basic damage control 101.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
We all want to see the Cowboys move to a place where they can compete for a SB or at least a conference championship for the first time in over a quarter century.

So two serious questions:
  1. What has this franchise (and its leadership) learned the last few years that makes us closer to a championship for the first time in 26 seasons?
  2. Is there anything that gives you confidence that this team will make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years?
I’m curious where fans are on this. I’m hoping to be convinced by a compelling argument. Otherwise it seems our hopes to break this cycle of 26 years rests squarely on the shoulders of Lady Luck.

If you are convinced otherwise, let me know why, lol.
Since 1994 this franchise has learned....Nothing

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Apparently money buys endless chances at the NFL craps table. Money is the only thing giving them a chance to play NFL big shot. There’s not another organization in this league that would give any GM 26 chances.
The Cowboys fanbase continues giving them chance after chance, year after year.

The bigger question is what have the fans learned .

The Three Stooges “ Niagara Falls” skit comes to mind.
Slowly I turn, step by step, inch by inch…

kskboys

Reaction score
We all want to see the Cowboys move to a place where they can compete for a SB or at least a conference championship for the first time in over a quarter century.

1. What has this franchise (and its leadership) learned the last few years that makes us closer to a championship for the first time in 26 seasons?
  2. Is there anything that gives you confidence that this team will make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years?
I’m curious where fans are on this. I’m hoping to be convinced by a compelling argument. Otherwise it seems our hopes to break this cycle of 26 years rests squarely on the shoulders of Lady Luck.

Here is the difference: Osa, Golston, Ridgeway, Tyler Smith. We are now drafting big, tough guys who tend to play angry, as opposed to the previous philosophy of drafting ballet dancers and hoping they get strong enough.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm with most of you in that I feel like they've learned nothing. However, if I had to pick one..............

Dan Quinn gives me hope. His defense played well last year and he got a few shiny new toys this off-season. If the defense can take an extra step forward, they could be very dangerous.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
The FO has never had a clue how to win a SB, not since Jerry has owned the team. The last time we had a head coach who could lay the law, we won. Haven't won since. BP was the closest we ever had to Jerry relinquishing the spotlight since the glory years.

As for this season, no, I have no confidence we will make the playoffs. We had a multitude of problems last season, couldn't beat good teams, and we are worse now than we were then.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
My bad, after rereading I see where I misinterpreted you.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

As with most of the fans here , I am not convinced the team management gets anything.

But, I think may be the coaches have realized we need a sound OL, read Run blocking OL to have a viable running game without which this QB cannot function at best and trying to get the pieces ( though cheap )

Also in Defense they have realized they need physical players who plays with passion to stop opponents. ( But they havent started spending much capital on this yet)

It needs to be seen if some players absence will be a plus and if the rookies can step up and deliver. If the QB gets brain enhancement ( by coaching or study ,whatever) and sees the field quickly let the ball go and trust WR to make plays , it will be good in the long run. He cant be waiting to see separation before letting the ball go. Thats what killed us last year in the 2nd half.

Not bashing Dak , but just pointing out that we need certain things for him to function to best of his abilities .

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

It was inevitable that we would be worse this year. Last year lots of cheap players in contract years outplaying their contracts. This year we spent more to keep them or waved them bye bye. Either way, it's less ammo for this year.

plymkr

Reaction score

1. Nothing. And what I base that on is our approach to FA. I do have some flicker of hope that the release of Collins and Cooper mixed with the restructure of DLaw, maybe just maybe they are seeing that over paying for under production is not working out for them.

2. I don't have any confidence about a playoff run much less a super bowl. They've given me no confidence. I do have a flicker of hope that in any given year a team can gel and get healthy and hot at the right time. With that the players may over come and win despite poor coaching and poor culture. It happened in '95.

So I have realistic expectations but hope that anything can happen so I'll watch. But my expectations are low and if we fly through the NFC east and make the playoffs I won't allow myself to get excited until we actually show up for a playoff game. 2016, 2021 really hurt and I don't want to set myself up for more pain.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

They've learnt that by continually being in CAP trouble you end up filling the roster with dumpster diving JAG's and kicking the can. They've reset the CAP and with a couple of decent drafts is a decent foundation to build upon.

Unfortunately, this isnt going to help in the immediate future (2022), but the CAP 'carry-over' would mean our 2023 CAP will at last be in a decent place. .....the problem is that Stephen's not the boy to spend it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They've learnt that by continually being in CAP trouble you end up filling the roster with dumpster diving JAG's and kicking the can. They've reset the CAP and with a couple of decent drafts is a decent foundation to build upon.

Unfortunately, this isnt going to help in the immediate future (2022), but the CAP 'carry-over' would mean our 2023 CAP will at last be in a decent place. .....the problem is that Stephen's not the boy to spend it.
Regarding the Cap- it seems to me the teams at the top of SB contention- the rams, the Bucs, the ravens, the packers, etc- under the same cap rules we have- somehow don’t let its restrictions stand in the way of signing impactful FAs or putting together an excellent roster.

That’s the thing I wish this FO would learn- how to better utilize cap money to build a better roster. One of the problems for them is they overrate the players they draft and throw long term big money at them at contract time (Randy Gregory for example) and will not throw short term big money at someone they didn’t draft.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regarding the Cap- it seems to me the teams at the top of SB contention- the rams, the Bucs, the ravens, the packers, etc- under the same cap rules we have- somehow don’t let its restrictions stand in the way of signing impactful FAs or putting together an excellent roster.

That’s the thing I wish this FO would learn- how to better utilize cap money to build a better roster. One of the problems for them is they overrate the players they draft and throw long term big money at them at contract time (Randy Gregory for example) and will not throw short term big money at someone they didn’t draft.
Comedy of errors and bad player assessment.

Preoccupied

Reaction score

1. Sack any head coach in less than 6 years (JG). Ensure we maximise business in all avenues regardless of team performance. (Which JJ is very good at, I wish he was very good at the latter too).
2. Yes