What I have difficulty with.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
1. Attacking the strength of the Opponents D repetitively.

Oakland is noted for showing against the run this season. Our best answer is to run left? According to the stats our avg. running left in the game was 2.5 yds, middle was 6.0 yds and right was 3.8 yds. Either our line isn't doing the job or we have become predictable to opposing defences.

I would have thought about the middle abit more.

2. When we have our "jumbo" package in for short yardage it helps to do the unexpected sometimes. Possibly a "naked" bootleg by Bledsoe with a pass to a guy like Campbell? Spears blocking up the middle while Jones goes left wasn't very creative on second down.

3. Some people aren't showing up. I point out specifically to Larry Allen who I felt picked the wrong assignment at times. Their blitzes were causing him problems.

4. Our play calling was very unimaginative. If the pressure was going to come so quick why didn't we work our routes shorter to fill in the vacated zones?

5. I'm not sure if our center position is stabilized yet. Lots of penetration in this game.

6. Against the most penalized team in the league we could not find ways to disrupt rhythm with hard counts and more two minute drills. It was obvious by the third quarter that it was our team that wasn't controlling the rhythm when the offence was on the field.

The positives came from the punter, the field goal kicker and a few Thompson runs. I hope it's better next week.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
I'm surprised we didn't run to the outside... at all!

...was considered suspect in the passing game. I'm surprised that Witten wasn't used more to open up the field for the others.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
David, I agree entirely about having Spears in the game. When he's in the game, based on what we've done, you know it's going to be a run. And from the 5-yard line, I thought we were a little too far out to try some plunge run up the middle.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Dale said:
David, I agree entirely about having Spears in the game. When he's in the game, based on what we've done, you know it's going to be a run. And from the 5-yard line, I thought we were a little too far out to try some plunge run up the middle.

I don't believe we are a 13-3 team this year. As a fan I want us to leave it all on the field and do everything possible to win.

I didn't have the stats during the game, but I felt the left side wasn't the answer for the majority of the game and when Kelly came shooting up the middle and turned Jones left.

While Bledsoe was running to the right after the handoff I thought why not a naked bootleg with a pass to Campbell? We made Robinson headline worthy the past two years with that type of a play. I'm not inspired by our play calling and I'm worried about the cohesion of our o-line.

I fear we may be predictable.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dale said:
I completely thought we were going play action when I saw the way we set up for the play. Witten or Campbell or tackle eligible or something like that. To run a plunge was just another in a long line of conservative play calls.