What I hope to see for the rest of FA from the Cowboys

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, we all want to see the front office change their philosophy of just building through the draft and paying their own, but it is not happening this offseason. Based on past history, we know the team likes to cover their holes with low cost veteran talent prior to the draft and they are willing to bring back players already in their program. My hope for the rest of free agency would look like this:

Players I try to resign

-Tyron Smith-find a way to come to a middle ground, perhaps an incentive laden contract based on playing time. This would cover a huge hole at the position at least for another season.

-Stephon Gilmore-we have no idea how Trevon Diggs will look year 1 post acl injury. Gilmore is a good insurance policy that would allow Diggs to work back in slowly. It also gives more time to develop a young prospect like Scott at the position.

-Jonathan Hankins-team invested a 1st rd pick for his eventual replacement, but Mazi just isn't ready. Not only on the field, but he has to put on all that weight he lost during the season. Who knows what happened there, but he was drafted to be a run stopper, anything else was gravy.

Outside Free Agents

-RB-Dalvin Cook, Foreman, Harris, Hunts, Edwards-Helarie are all unsigned. They all are quality veterans that should come cheap and work well as a tandem with any running back the team decides to draft. Yes, they will definitely draft one this year.

-DE-team just lost a ton of depth to Washington in Armstrong/Fowler, which makes them awfully thin at the position. Remember they are looking for another weakside pass rusher, such names available: Carl Lawson, Ngakoue, Barnett, Ogbah.

-Center-team doesn't want to have to force a pick in the draft. Not a great free agent class, but a player like Bozeman from Carolina, McGovern from the Jets. Could also bring back Conner Williams.

-More depth at LB/DT-probably just wishful thinking on my part.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I just hope they finish what they started because this has been textbook team building.
What have they started? Jerry's obnoxious 'look at me and my wealth' yacht is still out in the Bahamas, with Jerry most likely on board. In the meantime it looks like Stephen and Charlotte are sitting around with their thumbs up their butts. So I ask again, what have they started?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Yes, we all want to see the front office change their philosophy of just building through the draft and paying their own, but it is not happening this offseason. Based on past history, we know the team likes to cover their holes with low cost veteran talent prior to the draft and they are willing to bring back players already in their program. My hope for the rest of free agency would look like this:

Players I try to resign

-Tyron Smith-find a way to come to a middle ground, perhaps an incentive laden contract based on playing time. This would cover a huge hole at the position at least for another season.

-Stephon Gilmore-we have no idea how Trevon Diggs will look year 1 post acl injury. Gilmore is a good insurance policy that would allow Diggs to work back in slowly. It also gives more time to develop a young prospect like Scott at the position.

-Jonathan Hankins-team invested a 1st rd pick for his eventual replacement, but Mazi just isn't ready. Not only on the field, but he has to put on all that weight he lost during the season. Who knows what happened there, but he was drafted to be a run stopper, anything else was gravy.
I'm with you on all 3 of these.
Tyron 1 year incentive laden
Hankins 1 year because we ignored the position and I have no faith in Mazi being a FT player
Gilmore is more than an insurance policy. You run Diggs, Bland and Gilmore out there for a good part of the game and it will really make things tough on an offense. 1 year deal with bonuses split over 2 years for cap purposes. Not sure how much he would want

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Players I try to resign

Outside Free Agents

-RB-Dalvin Cook, Foreman, Harris, Hunts, Edwards-Helarie are all unsigned. They all are quality veterans that should come cheap and work well as a tandem with any running back the team decides to draft. Yes, they will definitely draft one this year.

-DE-team just lost a ton of depth to Washington in Armstrong/Fowler, which makes them awfully thin at the position. Remember they are looking for another weakside pass rusher, such names available: Carl Lawson, Ngakoue, Barnett, Ogbah.

-Center-team doesn't want to have to force a pick in the draft. Not a great free agent class, but a player like Bozeman from Carolina, McGovern from the Jets. Could also bring back Conner Williams.

-More depth at LB/DT-probably just wishful thinking on my part.
Yannick is a name I think Zimmer had him in Minnesota

shabazz

Reaction score
They are just gonna get bodies to fill open spaces.....I hope to God that non of out great fellow fans aren't expecting anything meaningful this season.....

WE RUNNING IT BACK
WE ALL IN

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree on all three players returning and I think there's a good chance they will. At least a couple of them.......the fact they are still unsigned tells me their market isn't what they had hoped.
I think they may be targeting a couple of RBs on other teams, and waiting for them to be released.
I will say IMO, MM has more input ( players he want) than we wanna believe.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
now that long snapper and special teams ace positions have been secured, the lesser-valued positions such as LT and C will just fall into place
It’s like re-living those “special teams drafts” over and over.

tm1119

Reaction score
Go get Cody Whitehair and D’Onta Foreman. That would at least not force us into drafting certain positions no matter what early.

Not so much a fan of Hankins, he hasn’t solved any problems - Benito Jones, Derrickk Nnadi, or Teair Tart would be a better signing, all are younger, and all should be cheap.

Carl Lawson would be great if you can get him for a cheap 1 year prove it deal. Romeo Okwara would be another decent DE signing. And another name…can we all not see Jerry bringing his pet Randy Gregory back home??

Creeper

Reaction score
You heard Stephen. He is waiting for other teams to cut players so he can swoop in and sign them. We went from shopping at K-Mart to shopping at the 2nd hand store.

morasp

Reaction score
Need someone to catch passes, take your pick.
Mike Williams
KJ Osborn
Tyler Boyd

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm with you on all 3 of these.
Tyron 1 year incentive laden
Hankins 1 year because we ignored the position and I have no faith in Mazi being a FT player
Gilmore is more than an insurance policy. You run Diggs, Bland and Gilmore out there for a good part of the game and it will really make things tough on an offense. 1 year deal with bonuses split over 2 years for cap purposes. Not sure how much he would want
It's a shame we didn't get the see the trio of Diggs, Gilmore, Bland last yr.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree on all three players returning and I think there's a good chance they will. At least a couple of them.......the fact they are still unsigned tells me their market isn't what they had hoped.
I think they may be targeting a couple of RBs on other teams, and waiting for them to be released.
I will say IMO, MM has more input ( players he want) than we wanna believe.
When we saw that they wouldn't go above 4 million for Moss, it tells us they are going with a new cap strategy for the position. No more paying top dollar, but having 2 low cost guys manning the position. I would kick the tires of Cook, he was good two years ago and they will be getting him at a huge discount. Add him with a good back in the draft and we are fine. By the way Zimmer knows all about the player on and off the field.

I am hopeful those 3 veterans I mention, all return on 1 yr deals. They not are only good bridge players, but they still have something left in the tank.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Go get Cody Whitehair and D’Onta Foreman. That would at least not force us into drafting certain positions no matter what early.

Not so much a fan of Hankins, he hasn’t solved any problems - Benito Jones, Derrickk Nnadi, or Teair Tart would be a better signing, all are younger, and all should be cheap.

Carl Lawson would be great if you can get him for a cheap 1 year prove it deal. Romeo Okwara would be another decent DE signing. And another name…can we all not see Jerry bringing his pet Randy Gregory back home??
At some point, we really need to do a deep dive where our run defense has it's biggest struggles. In my opinion, I saw more outside runs that gave us issues, then up the middle, but really have to look at the tape and the stats to prove that. No matter, still going to need a starting NT.