What I think happened at 10

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CouchCoach, Apr 30, 2021.

1. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Well-Known Member

11,933 Messages
    16,119 Likes Received
    What info coming out? There was no rush on Parsons. If they were moving up for Parsons, why would they then pass on him at 10? That makes no sense at all. They were targeting the CBs and thats why they tried to move up. Parsons was plan C at best.

BoysfaninVegas likes this.
  2. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

8,842 Messages
    7,513 Likes Received
    Info from the PC and "insiders" like Fish.

The concern was slot 7 and 8. Once it got past there, they had wiggle room. Not that hard to understand.

3. atlantacowboy

11,933 Messages
    16,119 Likes Received
    There are reports that every team in the league liked him. Obviously we like him. In fact we like him so much that we passed on 3 extra picks including an extra first round pick to land him.

4. starfan1

starfan1 Well-Known Member

5,103 Messages
    4,446 Likes Received
    Because at 7 Detroit was one of the teams mocked and told to be interested in parsons along with WR. When Sewell dropped to them in changed the landscape a bit and as the 2 corners left board it also meant that Denver and Carolina who were also rumored to have some interest wasnt taking him .So if you have Slater and Parsons sitting there and you know Philly wants WR why not trade with them

It makes sense to me but Im not real upset they took Parsons.in fact Im excited. I wouldnt have been butthurt if it was a corner though. Fish who can full of shat said as such earlier and I think archer confirmed it

5. atlantacowboy

11,933 Messages
    16,119 Likes Received
    Parsons isn't worth passing on the mega trade offered by Chicago. We missed a great opportunity that the Giants were more than happy to accept.

6. FiveSuperBowls

FiveSuperBowls Well-Known Member

1,504 Messages
    1,294 Likes Received
    Yea, the grade is an A, but it is an A+ with the added third round pick. Some folks wanted the OL, I do not disagree, but there are too many needs on the defensive side of the ball as you stated.

The Parsons pick reminds me a little, just a little of the Diggs pick in that both picks help now and in the near future but were not NEEDS. So very smart picks in both years.

7. starfan1

starfan1 Well-Known Member

5,103 Messages
    4,446 Likes Received
    Ya I've yet to see actual correspondence as that actually happened but I can be on board with that thought process

8. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

13,814 Messages
    9,458 Likes Received
    @CouchCoach Emmitt Smith becoming a Cowboy was not according to Jimmy Johnson/Jerry plan. Thankfully, the Jets took Cowboys plan A player and the rest is history.

Just like in life, sometimes plan B, C, D, and E are better. Sometimes, even the unplanned plans are better.

9. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

5,146 Messages
    6,743 Likes Received
    My feelings are hurt? LOL.

10. Creeper

5,146 Messages
    6,743 Likes Received
    I don't know. No one knows for sure. But I am saying that the Cowboys make no sense if Parsons was their target. For one thing, they claim they tried to trade up to 6. That wasn't for Parsons. Because if it was then it was stupid, especially since they then traded down from 10 after the 2 CBs were gone. So that there tells us the CBs were higher on their target list than Parsons. The signs are all there. Parsons was not the target and Jerry was just blowing smoke up everyone's butts because he didn't get who he really wanted. I have no doubt the Parsons was high on their draft board, but don't tell me he was their top defensive target. That is just total BS.

11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

4,466 Messages
    3,549 Likes Received
    Not top defensive target, but top ranked defensive player. They may have had him ranked 1 on their board but that does not mean they planned to take him 1. They had the corner backs ranked lower but with a higher factor of need for that position.

Pentagruel and Jarv like this.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

58,935 Messages
    27,721 Likes Received
    I think what he said was that he was ranked higher on the teams Big Board but not on their own Draft Board. That's a needs thing. But if Parsons is rated that high on their Big Board, that's a little concerning to me.

13. Malhavoc

Malhavoc Well-Known Member

679 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Parsons in the top 5 no. Parsons in the top 10 yes. At least for me.

14. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

9,555 Messages
    31,005 Likes Received
    An excellent supposition of what happened and why. The Jones boys rarely seem to think past the next opportunity to sell jerseys.

I’m hard pressed to remember a time since Jerry took complete control of the draft when he cobbled a trade together involving big acquisitions of draft capital for future years. As you said, he seems either incapable or unwilling to consider long term value. I literally don’t think he’s capable of long term roster building.

BoysfaninVegas likes this.
  15. Creeper

5,146 Messages
    6,743 Likes Received
    Yes, this is what I am saying basically. But Jerry is acting like they pulled off some kind of draft coup by getting the guy they wanted all along. Parsons was a consolation pick.

16. Kingofholland

Kingofholland Well-Known Member

2,381 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    If the Giants selected Parsons, wonder if Slater would have been the pick or they trade down again.

17. mmohican29

mmohican29 Well-Known Member

6,098 Messages
    4,920 Likes Received
    This.

Cowboys are an underrated drafting team. I have noticed we are weak @ finding late round players but somehow do better than most in the UDFA market.

Seattle for example is flipped.

They draft poorly in high rounds but find incredible talent late and absolutely kill it in the UDFA market.

18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

4,466 Messages
    3,549 Likes Received
    Thats what Jerry does!

19. lk8701

lk8701 Well-Known Member

1,552 Messages
    3,470 Likes Received
    Parcells did it with the Browns. They traded up for Brady Quinn. We took Julius Jones then Marcus Spears the following year. It was bad trade since they passed on Stephen Jackson.

20. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

14,949 Messages
    17,211 Likes Received
    Probably shouldn’t have won those meaningless games down the stretch....