What if Dak was a Free Agent?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
No, I'd say he did improve. His timing was better, he was leading his receivers, and he was even throwing before they were open on occasion.
The better teams caused regression at times, IMO, but even Brady loses some of his shine under pressure, and it's probably better to regress under pressure than to just do it randomly.
I know you won't be as good all the time against better teams. If you thought that's what I'm saying my bad. I'm saying he didn't really seem to have many good games against good teams. Well two games but I think you should be like he was against bums but at least be 50/50 against better teams not dang near a whole different player on a consistent basis. That's my problem with him.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know you won't be as good all the time against better teams. If you thought that's what I'm saying my bad. I'm saying he didn't really seem to have many good games against good teams. Well two games but I think you should be like he was against bums but at least be 50/50 against better teams not dang near a whole different player on a consistent basis. That's my problem with him.
I agree, and while he was hot garbage a few times, there were also games in which he was good enough to win, if our defense, ST, and a few others hadn't hung us out to dry. I think he probably played well enough against the better teams to win about half those games...not by much, but a W is a W.
Let's see how he does under new management, and if he doesn't show at least 25% improvement (however you'd gauge that) then I might give up on his ever being able to elevate the team around him, which in my eyes is what a good QB should do.

willia451

Reaction score
This board had the same types of discussions about Romo over and over and over again.

And what we said was Romo and Witten's careers were ruined by Jason Garrett's game day incompetence, lack of adjustments, and bad game plans and Jerry's incessant meddling with the players and coaches.

And some were worried the same dynamic was playing out with Dak and Zeke.

Well. Now we have a proven HC like MM. He's bringing in his own staff of proven coaches. And player evaluations have already started. Jerry seems to be backing off for the time being at least.

Dak has all the tools necessary to have deep playoff success with the right coaching staff and a decent supporting cast.

And that's another thing. That is the exact same thing almost everyone said about Romo.

I say sign Dak and stop all the hand wringing. Things have changed. Let's let go of the past and move forward.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If the Cowboys did not tag Dak and he became an Unrestricted Free Agent, many people believe he would be the #1 free agent on the market.

Here are a couple of articles about the concept, but there are others and there are media (not Cowboys media or fans) that believe Dak would get 40M per on the open market.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/12/05/first-glance-at-the-top-2020-free-agents/25/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nts-in-2020-two-quarterbacks-lead-way-for-now
Is Dak a super start like Brady or Wilson? No
Is Dak a franchise QB that many teams would love to have and would pay dearly for as a free agent at age 27, even with his faults? YES

Dallas fans are the absolute worst when it comes to labeling players over a few games or even a few bad plays instead of looking at the whole picture.
We have great WRs who drop passes at an alarming rate, and this year at terrible times on 3rd down, but we express minor annoyance and move on, focused on their potential, but when Dak misses 2-3 wide open receivers in a game, the hatred and exaggerations about his ability is completely off the hook.

The bottom line is when the team wins, fans focus on the good and merely mention the negative. When the team loses, fans focus on the negative and look to blame someone for losing. Anyone watching football saw Brady and Brees and Rogers play awful at times, but somehow those teams found ways to win games. When those teams lost games, Brady, Brees, and Rogers were all on the slide. Win, and fans love them again.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I agree, and while he was hot garbage a few times, there were also games in which he was good enough to win, if our defense, ST, and a few others hadn't hung us out to dry. I think he probably played well enough against the better teams to win about half those games...not by much, but a W is a W.
Let's see how he does under new management, and if he doesn't show at least 25% improvement (however you'd gauge that) then I might give up on his ever being able to elevate the team around him, which in my eyes is what a good QB should do.
He played good in the Vikings game and the first eagles game. The saints game nope, GB nope, NE nope, chicago nope, second eagles game nope, bills game nope. That's 2 outta 7 which IMO isn't good. Maybe you think he played better in more games but if you do that's where we will disagree. I think his stat padding numbers tell you he played better but when those games were in the balance he didn't do enough in 5 outta 7 games. That's not good.

shabazz

Reaction score
41vZGDYzxXL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

blueblood70

Reaction score
Thanks! He never dawned on me because he's not very good.
well I believe that poster was trying to convey if player like Tannehill can switch teams or even a Teddy Bridgwater who were average at best at their prior stops but look a lot better in different system with better coaching..

so instead of paying dak another average to above average QB 35mil go grab a Mariotta or similar for 19mil and with our offense ie Zeke/pollard, Oline and new staff we might not lose much..add improved STs and defense with the extra cash, well... ?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He played good in the Vikings game and the first eagles game. The saints game nope, GB nope, NE nope, chicago nope, second eagles game nope, bills game nope. That's 2 outta 7 which IMO isn't good. Maybe you think he played better in more games but if you do that's where we will disagree. I think his stat padding numbers tell you he played better but when those games were in the balance he didn't do enough in 5 outta 7 games. That's not good.
I don't pay attention to the stats for exactly that reason. I just remember coming away from several games thinking, "He didn't win it for us, but he didn't necessarily lose it for us either."

csirl

Reaction score
Can we get a countdown clock to when Daks free agency begins?

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
I came to the same conclusion several times. There are several times when DP did cost the team the game as well.

That’s why consistency for DP is an accurate and major criticism that I will never argue against.

DP has stretches of games where he plays well and plays like a star and later has stretches where things go downhill really fast whether it’s because of him directly or everything else (teammates, coaching, etc).

I don't pay attention to the stats for exactly that reason. I just remember coming away from several games thinking, "He didn't win it for us, but he didn't necessarily lose it for us either."

shabazz

Reaction score

My frustration has been in the Saints, Patriots, and last Eagles game in which the defense played above their heads but the offense let us down in scoring 10 points are less. Definitely not all Daks fault but he should shoulder some of the blame. 4th season in the league and its time to overcome this by now. and to be fair Zeke has gone AWOL in game but we already paid him.

A potential massive contract should be for a Qb that can overcome these types of games and thats why I want to see if MM can effect this type of change. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My frustration has been in the Saints, Patriots, and last Eagles game in which the defense played above their heads but the offense let us down in scoring 10 points are less. Definitely not all Daks fault but he should shoulder some of the blame. 4th season in the league and its time to overcome this by now. and to be fair Zeke has gone AWOL in game but we already paid him.

A potential massive contract should be for a Qb that can overcome these types of games and thats why I want to see if MM can effect this type of change. I'm cautiously optimistic.
100% agreed. For him to get a record breaking...or nearly... contract, he needs to be able to elevate the players around him somewhat consistently.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Either Mariota or Bridgewater, heck, maybe even Carr could all provide similar play to Dak for far less money.

Maybe we'll go 7-9 instead of 8-8 and miss the playoffs. At least it won't come as much of a cost.

That's the spirit.. :facepalm: Or maybe ... just maybe we get our near 5,000 yard passer better coaching/scheme and overall better team personnel and... attempt to improve?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Not many young starting QBs end up as a FA.
Regardless of how good anyone thinks they.
Young starters are a commodity

If you look at the contracts for Alex Smith, Foles and Kirk Cousins you can argue that any starting caliber QB is a commodity.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I never pay attention to just stats but when you have 160 yards with 5/6 minutes to go then end up with 320 something by the end of the game like the Chicago game you just have to call a stat padder a stat padder. I guess we look at QB differently because all those games I felt he missed too many easy passes and when you want to be paid as top 5 that's the standard I'm holding him to.

Philmonroe

Reaction score

Do you think Zeke would play better if teams weren't closer to the line because they don't believe in Dak beating you through the air consistently?