What if we had resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper's contract?

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Just wondering how different everybody’s opinion would be right now if we resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper’s deal to go along with what we have done in free agency? Seems like 2 huge holes could have been filled easily while still adding some young talent to this roster in the draft. I feel like the optimism would be 100% increased right about now.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Just wondering how different everybody’s opinion would be right now if we resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper’s deal to go along with what we have done in free agency? Seems like 2 huge holes could have been filled easily while still adding some young talent to this roster in the draft. I feel like the optimism would be 100% increased right about now.

Didnt the 2021 team show that it wasn't good enough for a SB? Coop not worth $22m and Gregory disappeared second half of the season.....oh and we needed a rest on the CAP, rather than kick it down the alley.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
are you referring to Washington? because the only other talent we added was our own talent

Mookie

Reaction score
WRs tend to fade quickly, look at Michael Thomas, OBJ, Julio, all of them were top receivers just a few seasons ago, and Cooper wasn't even as good as any of them. Wise decision to look for help elsewhere.

Gregory singlehandedly cost is the Niners game, dude was tackling offensive linemen after the whistle on a 3rd down. His indiscipline should not be rewarded. If anything I'd say the team is in a better position, Lamb, Gallup and Washington are great weapons, and if we draft somebody to replace Wilson then all is good!

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

But then we couldn't have afforded Watkins.

We made the right move.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Didnt the 2021 team show that it wasn't good enough for a SB? Coop not worth $22m and Gregory disappeared second half of the season.....oh and we needed a rest on the CAP, rather than kick it down the alley.
No.

Being good enough for a SB and going to and winning one are 2 very different things.

GB was good enough for a SB
KC was good enough for a SB
TB was good enough for a SB
SF was good enough for a SB
CIN was good enough for a SB
Buf was good enough for a SB
Dal was good enough for a SB
Ten was good enough for a SB

Only LAR won a SB.

CWR

Reaction score
WRs tend to fade quickly, look at Michael Thomas, OBJ, Julio, all of them were top receivers just a few seasons ago, and Cooper wasn't even as good as any of them. Wise decision to look for help elsewhere.

Gregory singlehandedly cost is the Niners game, dude was tackling offensive linemen after the whistle on a 3rd down. His indiscipline should not be rewarded. If anything I'd say the team is in a better position, Lamb, Gallup and Washington are great weapons, and if we draft somebody to replace Wilson then all is good!

Hes 27, I don't believe his rapid decline is imminent yet.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By trading Cooper and not signing Gregory.
They were able to sign 3 FA’s as well keep a core group of around 6 to 8 of their own FAs for depth. Plus Gallup. Plus sign Schultz to his tag.

That is around 10 or so player vs. 2 players.

I think they did well. Plus they still have a lot of cap room left, and will get $10 million more for the rookies draft come June 1st from Collins. A player that has not given anything much over the past 2 years.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No.

Being good enough for a SB and going to and winning one are 2 very different things.

Only LAR won a SB.

Does the R in LAR mean the LA Refs? :muttley:

Proof

Reaction score
No.

Only LAR won a SB.

he said dallas wasn't good enough. so why would there be excitement to trot out the same not good enough roster.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he said dallas wasn't good enough. so why would there be excitement to trot out the same not good enough roster.

The roster was good enough to get them to where they were.
So why not keep most of it together, continuity. Then build and add to that. Right now it’s is about equal.
So add a few mid level FAs and have a good draft.

Why tear it down only to take a chance to rebuild but then be worse off.
So going into TC there are not a lot of new players needing a learning curve.

Then again, TB went into the season with pretty much the entire team in tact, with I believe their entire starting line up back. They did not fair much better, but they did make it to the playoffs.
No reason Dallas can’t do the same. Back to Back seasons of playoffs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
with them it was more personal than actual play, skill, ability......that's jerry for you

Proof

Reaction score
The roster was good enough to get them to where they were.
So why not keep most of it together, continuity. Then build and add to that. Right now it’s is about equal.
So add a few mid level FAs and have a good draft.

Why tear it down only to take a chance to rebuild but then be worse off.
So going into TC there are not a lot of new players needing a learning curve.

Then again, TB went into the season with pretty much the entire team in tact, with I believe their entire starting line up back. They did not fair much better, but they did make it to the playoffs.
No reason Dallas can’t do the same. Back to Back seasons of playoffs.

i was just clarifying his point. i don’t have any expectations good or bad. they’re certainly not equal at this point though

CWR

Reaction score
I agree, but he still couldn't top 900 yards as a #1 receiver in a passing era, with a top offense, in the longest season in the history of the NFL. I'm not saying he's bad, I just don't think he was that elite to deserve $20M. I'm glad he's gone tbh.

He's not blameless, but being 32nd in targets is a travesty for a WR making 20 million.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m sure the Cowboys did everything they could with Cooper’s contract to try and make it work under the cap. It seems like a majority of the fans wanted to move on from him. He was being trashed a lot during the season. A lot of fans on this board wanted to move on from most of our good players except for Parsons and Diggs because they’re on their rookie deals. Fans here don’t seem to want to pay anyone. Gregory was also being trashed during the season due to some costly penalties. I don’t think the mood here would’ve changed a whole lot had we kept both players. It’s been good riddance to both from many fans, especially to Gregory due to some of his Twitter comments and the lack of loyalty he showed by pulling the rug out from under the team.