What if we had resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper's contract?

Praxit

Reaction score
..when a player starts mouthing, "Give me the Ball". Its not a good situation. Winning is collective effort, everyone contributes.

I dont think Moore had plays specifically for Coop. Do yer best to get open.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Just wondering how different everybody’s opinion would be right now if we resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper’s deal to go along with what we have done in free agency? Seems like 2 huge holes could have been filled easily while still adding some young talent to this roster in the draft. I feel like the optimism would be 100% increased right about now.

I'm not sure, I think we would hear complaints that all we did was maintain the status of things and would still be upset with no big acquisition. Then fans would complain about Gregory contract and label him the new worst contract when he produced 6 sacks over 12 games in 2022.

Dre11

Reaction score
Just wondering how different everybody’s opinion would be right now if we resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper’s deal to go along with what we have done in free agency? Seems like 2 huge holes could have been filled easily while still adding some young talent to this roster in the draft. I feel like the optimism would be 100% increased right about now.

Everybody would be still crying.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gregory was not worth the money they offered him ....... Cooper should be here but he made the ultimate mistake and hurt the Jones's feelings.

Blackrain

Reaction score
They would have disappointed us and made us sorry we signed them.
Both had become paycheck collectors

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I was mad at first but now after further review neither were worth the money. Both disappears a lot. Both get injured. What pissed me off is the fact we got pretty much nothing out of letting them go. I guess with Gergory they couldn't of foresaw him leaving. But then again? Our front office couldn't see a train coming from 2 foot away.

BermyStar

Reaction score
Truth is you would probably see and hear the negative whiners more still because they make the most noise regardless.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
he said dallas wasn't good enough. so why would there be excitement to trot out the same not good enough roster.
No, he suggested (with a question) 2021 proved they weren't good enough for a SB.

I answered the question and suggested it's a false premise.

morasp

Reaction score
I thought it was time to blow it up a little. We couldn't win a wild card game so let's shake things up just a bit. I don't mind Fowler he's pretty talented and now they're looking at Edge rushers in the draft which has quite a few of them this year. To be honest we almost overpaid for Gregory and I think it could be better that he's not signed. Lamb is a good WR and will be our WR1, Gallup is a proven WR2 and Brown had and Washington are both good WR3 WR4 options. They'll probably find someone in the draft to develop down the road.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would be fine with Cooper but not Gregory. I wanted him gone after how he presented himself in that playoff game. I wonder if the Bronco fans would like him laughing off penalties that cost his team?

I am glad he's gone, he was inconsistent and overrated and Fowler will play the run better.

Proof

Reaction score
No, he suggested (with a question) 2021 proved they weren't good enough for a SB.

I answered the question and suggested it's a false premise.

guess i’m confused. he said they weren’t good enough. and you proved that false by listing out a bunch of teams that were good enough but also lost. yeah that’s encouraging

75boyz

Reaction score
If the end answer your seeking is "Would Gregory and Cooper be improvements over the current RDE1 and WR1 slated to start this year then the answer is Yes.

They are better players than the current player that has replaced them.

Neither position has been improved but has declined.

Now...

Arriving at all the "proper contractual numbers based on each player's history and performance" is a separate discussion to itself.

jmo

cowboyec

Reaction score
the folks *****'n about not re-signing them would be *****'n that they are over-rated and over-paid.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

In some ways I want to agree with you. I remember posting a few days after that deflating loss in the Playoffs when everyone was burned that we should just given them one more chance and try and bring everyone back.

But I also think there has to be accountability when you fall apart like that not only in the big game but really, most of the big games all year, and especially the second half of the season. Something isn't right. Big Mac gets one year to prove it was the players, doesn't work this year, blame falls on the coach and we move on. Everyone already sees it.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

It still would have amounted to an offseason of “status quo” and “continuity!!”… Last year’s team was clearly not good enough to win anything other than the NFCE.

I don’t see how bringing back the same players would make any difference whatsoever.

Instead of “status quo”— we have now settled for “sub-status quo (with more cap space!!)”

GINeric

Reaction score
WRs tend to fade quickly, look at Michael Thomas, OBJ, Julio, all of them were top receivers just a few seasons ago, and Cooper wasn't even as good as any of them. Wise decision to look for help elsewhere.

Gregory singlehandedly cost is the Niners game, dude was tackling offensive linemen after the whistle on a 3rd down. His indiscipline should not be rewarded. If anything I'd say the team is in a better position, Lamb, Gallup and Washington are great weapons, and if we draft somebody to replace Wilson then all is good!

I actually think Julio could move to a Tight End roll and kill it!!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

It wouldn't be good enough. Other teams that were already better than us are working ot improve. At most, we were going to tread water in free agency. Instead, it appears that we may have gone back downstream some.

However, this was the way it was always going to be, so as fans, we should have been expecting it. The Joneses have followed this FA pattern for some time now.