What if we had resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper's contract?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
My biggest issue is that Dallas isn't really picking a direction. You like your guys? Fine, then keep them together. Don't like them? Well, blow it up. Don't restructure a bunch of contracts to put the burden on future years.

The direction Dallas has gone makes them a little worse both now AND later. Not sure anyone noticed but Dak now has a $49m cap hit next year and a $52m cap hit the following year. Dallas should have just swallowed the pill and rebuilt a little.

Mookie

Reaction score
He's not blameless, but being 32nd in targets is a travesty for a WR making 20 million.
That could actually be his fault too. I don't know I don't watch film, and I don't know football at that level, but some players get more open than others. If he was targeted so little then it's time to move on as well.

Reactions: CWR

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Just wondering how different everybody’s opinion would be right now if we resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper’s deal to go along with what we have done in free agency? Seems like 2 huge holes could have been filled easily while still adding some young talent to this roster in the draft. I feel like the optimism would be 100% increased right about now.

Rather have Cooper and Gregory than DLaw and Gallup.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My biggest issue is that Dallas isn't really picking a direction. You like your guys? Fine, then keep them together. Don't like them? Well, blow it up. Don't restructure a bunch of contracts to put the burden on future years.

They kept the low ceiling guys and lost the high ceiling guys.
DLaw, Gallup, Schultz
Gregory, Cooper, Collins

Which group has more talent? It's not even close.
And the money was the same, with the greater extension of guaranteed to the *less* talented group that we kept.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Just wondering how different everybody’s opinion would be right now if we resigned Gregory and reworked Cooper’s deal to go along with what we have done in free agency? Seems like 2 huge holes could have been filled easily while still adding some young talent to this roster in the draft. I feel like the optimism would be 100% increased right about now.
The same opinion when the Colts went 12-4 and loss in the first round at home. "Bad day. They have a solid team and can add young talent and a some good free agents. They're gonna win the division and go further in the playoffs learning from this lost".

Regarding being a Dallas Cowboys fan suffering first round lost disappointment, I also said this in 1976, "Cowboys are one player from the Super Bowl, Lord please let Roger Staubach and Cowboys get Tony Dorsett in the draft", and 1979 "Roger came off a big win vs the Skins, we are going to dominate 80's". The Dallas Cowboys won the Super Bowl 1977, Roger retired and the Cowboys went to 3 straight NFC Championship games in a row with Danny White (underrated Cowboys QB).

However this team is not the Dallas Cowboys. They are the Alrington Jonesboys. They give away good players, tick off good players to leave, and everyone that leaves seems to go to a Super Bowl. The Arlington Jonesboys are the New Orleans Saints of the 1970's and 80's "Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda"...

Motorola

Reaction score
I actually think Julio could move to a Tight End roll and kill it!!
Julio Jones is so done he couldn't stay on the field for an entire offensive drive - not even to run a decent decoy route. And this has been the case for his last three seasons.
Would be surprised is a team picks him up before the draft.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Didnt the 2021 team show that it wasn't good enough for a SB? Coop not worth $22m and Gregory disappeared second half of the season.....oh and we needed a rest on the CAP, rather than kick it down the alley.

Well Tank isn't worth the money were paying him either. Same with Zeke. Both players are not worth what they're getting.

Swagger

Reaction score
They should have kept both imo.

Cooper has been important for Prescott in the past - the problem was that he was not utilised enough even though he was open. That's on the QB, play calling and coaches.

Gregory is all geared up to have a monster season. He could easily have 14-15 sacks...but he has been a space cadet in the past and massively unreliable in terms of availability. Yet I still sign him as the signs point towards him having a career season.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Well Tank isn't worth the money were paying him either. Same with Zeke. Both players are not worth what they're getting.

Zeke goes next year, negative CAP lose if we cut him this year. DLaw accepted the restructured contract and the stats appear to show that we do better when he's on the field. We to make the decision Gallup or Coop, Gallup was the cheaper option, assuming the plan was to sign Gregory then we would be at about $0 CAP at the moment if he signed....$12m on Coop just wouldnt fit.

Tough decisions, but the CAP is real and at last we're trying to face it, rather than kick the can.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
... Dak still wouldn't get Coop the ball, resulting in sulking and passive-aggressive complaints about our quarterback and offense, meanwhile during the playoffs at a critical moment, Gregory would punch the opponent's offensive tackle, turning a fourth and five into a first down and a game-winning field goal and another early postseason exit by the Cowboys.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
guess i’m confused. he said they weren’t good enough. and you proved that false by listing out a bunch of teams that were good enough but also lost. yeah that’s encouraging

Reread his post. His assertion is flawed. All 2021 proved is that one bad game (or half) can send the best teams home.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I didn’t care about Randy that much because I figured we could upgrade the position in free agency.. but no. Cooper on the other hand was just dumb. Don’t over think it, we’re the new jags and Jets only the 8-8 version.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if we brought back more of this proven failure of a team? Would you feel better?

Proof

Reaction score
Reread his post. His assertion is flawed. All 2021 proved is that one bad game (or half) can send the best teams home.

lol. you watched the season and think we were a good team that was done in by a single bad game or half?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Well it looks like if we had resigned Gregory he would have hot boxed Jerry's suite and burned it down.

Sometimes you just got to let things play out before passing judgment.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
This question is easy. Plan A was to roll with the same team that wasn't good enough, but Cooper hurt Dak's feelings, and Gregory swerved. We wouldn't have been good enough under plan A, but now we are even worse. And there was never a plan to actually improve through FA, as we are seeing. We'd rather miss the playoffs altogether and stick to the every-other-year playoff plan.

So yeah, we would have complained either way.