What if you get your wish (Garrett)

CCBoy

Reaction score
Nice personal attacks, totally warranted.

Forget Lombardis. I see a coach who has had lots of time to build a team in his image and that image has what, 2 playoff wins?

I'm ok with agreeing to disagree. I used to defend Garrett but I can't anymore. I'm ready to move on but that's just my opinion.

I see two NFC winningest teams in a single season...in the past four seasons.

In the playoffs, the Cowboys lost to Green Bay by a total sum of 7 points, (two games), and to a team lead by the biggest difference maker in the NFL - Rodgers. C'mon...not deserving?

Dez Bryant fell from grace; Tony Romo had multiple broken collar bones; Smith was lost at left tackle; and Zeke Elliott was unavailable for six games...nothing?

Difference makers depended upon were removed quite a bit.

Direction was regained and under Garrett, the defense grew back to respectable...after the offense achieved that status as well. That, since the lock out, and guided by Garrett, who made recent coaching changes as well for now.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I see two NFC winningest teams in a single season...in the past four seasons.

In the playoffs, the Cowboys lost to Green Bay by a total sum of 7 points, (two games), and to a team lead by the biggest difference maker in the NFL - Rodgers. C'mon...not deserving?

Dez Bryant fell from grace; Tony Romo had multiple broken collar bones; Smith was lost at left tackle; and Zeke Elliott was unavailable for six games...nothing?

Difference makers depended upon were removed quite a bit.

Direction was regained and under Garrett, the defense grew back to respectable...after the offense achieved that status as well. That, since the lock out, and guided by Garrett, who made recent coaching changes as well for now.

One of my biggest issues with Garrett is just how much he depends on his star players, and it has been that way for years. He doesn't elevate his players, his players elevate him. So he loses a stud like Tyron Smith and just watches helplessly while Green lets Atlanta blow up Dak, for example. The only exception to this that I can recall in Garrett's tenure is when Dak saved his butt in 2016. I think this is why they blow every playoff berth, as a talented roster is the norm in the playoffs, and isn't enough to win it all.

"Next man up" is just code for "I'm running the same exact concepts regardless of talent dropoff or different skill sets".

You also seem to focus a lot on the last few years. I think Marvin Lewis is the only coach in the last few decades with more years and equal or less success when it mattered.

Idk. I don't really want to get pulled into this argument. If you're happy with what we've gotten out of Garrett's tenure then I'm happy for you.

Last edited:

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
To answer the OP about who I would replace Garrett with, I have no idea. But I do know that Garrett hasn't taken us anywhere to be proud of in all his time and so I'm ready to give someone else a try.

It's like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but here we have "if it is broke, let's try to fix it, and worst case scenario it's still broke". Ya dig?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
What if some of you get your wish and Garrett is fired? Who do you want to realistically take his place?

Maybe the stars line up and The Hoodie decides to move on from New England without Brady. That would be best case but somewhat unlikely.

Lure Romo out of the booth? Something tells me that he is competitive enough that he might be tempted.

Richard? It's too early to tell at this point.

What is your "plan"?

Don't know all the options, but I'd be happy to sign Kris Richard.

CCBoy

Reaction score
One of my biggest issues with Garrett is just how much he depends on his star players, and it has been that way for years. He doesn't elevate his players, his players elevate him. So he loses a stud like Tyron Smith and just watches helplessly while Green lets Atlanta blow up Dak, for example. The only exception to this that I can recall in Garrett's tenure is when Dak saved his butt in 2016. I think this is why they blow every playoff berth, as a talented roster is the norm in the playoffs, and isn't enough to win it all.

"Next man up" is just code for "I'm running the same exact concepts regardless of talent dropoff or different skill sets".

You also seem to focus a lot on the last few years. I think Marvin Lewis is the only coach in the last few decades with more years and equal or less success when it mattered.

Idk. I don't really want to get pulled into this argument. If you're happy with what we've gotten out of Garrett's tenure then I'm happy for you.

There are a number of effective leadership styles that have success. Contrary to some of the on site opinions, there isn't just a go kick *** and get in line way to success. Respect has a lot to do with production, whether there is a demonstrated high intensity of match my pitch presented.

Bottom line, is whether or not players assume both the intensity levels and responsibility for initiative on the carpet, to make game affecting plays. Accountability is another area that influences play.

Schemes and coaches have both been changed on the current team...as players are now being instructed how to (1) identify potential (2) reinforced instincts that proven in game conditions to react with instinct, not a thought process. Youth is starting to be brought around to production...

myself, I'm going to stick with Jason Garrett now that change is fully involved with the team: talent, coach, and the most important ingredient - pride.

The talent now is spread between the offense and the defense...I'm watching and now blaming at this stage. Garrett has at least headed the winningest regular season team for two of the past four seasons. That does say a lot about leadership. No, that isn't a negative due to losing twice to Green Bay. Green Bay suddenly became a goat of the NFL?

I'm not buying an extreme either or scenario before just watching and rooting, sorry.

kskboys

Reaction score
Doesn't it depend on various factors. If the catch was a catch (it was) maybe we would have a SB victory by now.

There were two separate Dez catches that really gave us the bone if you know what I mean. What was Garrett supposed to do? Kill the UMP at the 50 yard line??

We have really been bent by calls over the past few years and that's not on Garrett.
We didn't have the D to go all the way.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
There are a number of effective leadership styles that have success. Contrary to some of the on site opinions, there isn't just a go kick *** and get in line way to success. Respect has a lot to do with production, whether there is a demonstrated high intensity of match my pitch presented.

Bottom line, is whether or not players assume both the intensity levels and responsibility for initiative on the carpet, to make game affecting plays. Accountability is another area that influences play.

Schemes and coaches have both been changed on the current team...as players are now being instructed how to (1) identify potential (2) reinforced instincts that proven in game conditions to react with instinct, not a thought process. Youth is starting to be brought around to production...

myself, I'm going to stick with Jason Garrett now that change is fully involved with the team: talent, coach, and the most important ingredient - pride.

The talent now is spread between the offense and the defense...I'm watching and now blaming at this stage. Garrett has at least headed the winningest regular season team for two of the past four seasons. That does say a lot about leadership. No, that isn't a negative due to losing twice to Green Bay. Green Bay suddenly became a goat of the NFL?

I'm not buying an extreme either or scenario before just watching and rooting, sorry.

I've been watching and rooting my whole life, I didn't come to my opinions in one offseason. I defended Garrett for a long time and finally changed my mind. I used to be on your side, now I'm not. Good talk though

CCBoy

Reaction score
I've been watching and rooting my whole life, I didn't come to my opinions in one offseason. I defended Garrett for a long time and finally changed my mind. I used to be on your side, now I'm not. Good talk though

I was a soldier...and I won't cohabitate with despair of any form.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Who is in a state of despair? I'm just ready to replace Garrett

The approach is...with a strong upcoming season unfolding, how does one act in combat if he is holding back to be negative?

Is football an aggressive profession?

Big_D

Reaction score
You know the coach sucks when fans are hoping for a replacement a week before the opener.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I have never been on board with Garrett. Didn't like the way he was hired as OC before the Head Coach and was none too pleased to see him get promoted. I'd be OK to see the team flounder for a year or two due to a coaching change. However, I would like to see a legit guy take the team over of which there are many good choices. Pleas don't throw Fisher or Cowher out there.