What in the world is going on with this front office?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I think they are sick of seeing dak. Jerry said f him, I give him books and he refuses to read, so now he gets to learn on his own. shrugs, about time Jer.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am not one to overreact or make quick judgement, but what in the world is our front office trying to accomplish this offseason and why is MM and the rest of the coaching staff allowing it to happen?

-First, they either have to extend Dak or trade him before the draft. They cannot trade or franchise him after this season. Worst case scenario, he departs via fa next offseason and the team has nothing to show for it outside of shedding is contract.

-I understand their free agent philosophy, but how many starters have they already lost, without replacing any of them except Lve with Kendricks? Pollard, Biaz, Tyron, Armstrong, Hankins, Gilmore. That's 6 starters, with zero replacements. They already have less draft picks this year due to the Lance trade, where do they expect to replace these players?

-I have heard enough about them crying about needing to resign Lamb/Parsons. They have plenty of cap space and have the ability to create space as much as possible. Just look at the Eagles, they keep on spending even after Hurts was extended. Maybe stop resigning average players on your team like a Malik Hooker for example. Giving Zack Martin that extension at his age was insane.
First of all, we're eight days into free agency and no team has finalized or rosters or filled every hole..

let's be clear here and I keep saying this yes you're overreacting,

they're gonna wait till after the draft then see where they have true needs instead of getting redundant players, I know you should not have desperation and be full of need in the draft so you feel like they should fill it in free agency there are hundreds of players still available in free agency. tell me every team that's completely changed or replaced all their starters and are ready for game one???

Just because some teams have made more moves doesn't mean they're ready. There's so many more players that are gonna be cut or traded after the draft and it roster cut downs that there's plenty of time to build the roster and by the way saying they haven't replaced them they have there were dudes on this team already that if the draft or freezes doesn't go the way they want we've already talked about it they got guys on the offensive line that I believe if you slide Tyler out the left tackle you can probably use Hoffman and bass and with enough snaps this offseason to get on the same page I don't think we're gonna lose that much Tyler our center was very replaceable hankins was getting old this Tuesday one year contract guy moving from team to team we'll find another one of those guys so there's two starters right there on the offensive line that is replaced even if we don't do another thing because if you think some other free agent that's out there is more of a guarantee than using some players that were already in the system and on this team that showed some promise along with also we have Richards, then you're being snowed under and bamboozled thinking you have to make a move a big move and fill every one of your holes in the 1st 10 days of free agency last time I checked there's six months left before the season starts and there's plenty of players out there plenty of moves to be made I think they wanna see what they can do in the draft and then Phil what true holes they feel they have left with other free agents or a trade or two they brought in cooks and Gilmore last offseason with trades not free agency not with the draft those moves can still be made for other players and these other guys are still available Gilmore ohh and by the way if you think Tony Pollard was a big loss you might want to look around the league he's a dime a dozen literally overrated and overpaid last year.... In my opinion I think Rico was the better player if they would have used him more like they used Pollard and then use Pollard like he should have been used in the first place we would have been a better running team last year but because of what they paid Pollard I guess they felt he should be the starter I mean some fan base thinks that he was but I'm saying that Tony was overrated dude overpaid under delivered not a big loss...

A lot of those players you've mentioned are replaced I mean Armstrong you're really worried about our #3 rotation we have Sam Williams and some other guys that can take his snaps right away I mean I forgot to mention Fowler these guys were fringe players that were either drafted or brought in late in free agency none of them worked tier one free agents or great as rookies they were brought along and they can still do the same thing I don't know what all the worry is literally this is only 10 days into the process nowhere even near the draft or what can be done before game one hell what can be done all the way up to the trade deadline like we did with amari Cooper literally turned the whole season around with the trade deadline we were three and five finished ten and six went to the second round of the playoffs this is a long process people this is a marathon not a Sprint and I'm not saying that to defend the front office I really don't care what they do I'm saying this as a person who watches the NFL there are teams out there that haven't even finish solidifying some of their most important areas like offensive line that would be the Buffalo Bills and the Ravens...

Flamma

Reaction score
At least Mazi will most likely be moved back to NT. Maybe he'll be competent there.
All this Mazi crap. Most DTs drafted don't show up in year 1 unless you're Aaron Donald. Lets see what he does in year 2 before we call him a bust. This shouldn't have to be explained.

Toro9

Reaction score
-I understand their free agent philosophy, but how many starters have they already lost, without replacing any of them except Lve with Kendricks? Pollard, Biaz, Tyron, Armstrong, Hankins, Gilmore. That's 6 starters, with zero replacements. They already have less draft picks this year due to the Lance trade, where do they expect to replace these players?
They think they can do it all through the draft, depth FAs and UDFAs. Their scouting dept is one of the better ones imo but they're not as good as they think they are.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I am not one to overreact or make quick judgement, but what in the world is our front office trying to accomplish this offseason and why is MM and the rest of the coaching staff allowing it to happen?

-First, they either have to extend Dak or trade him before the draft. They cannot trade or franchise him after this season. Worst case scenario, he departs via fa next offseason and the team has nothing to show for it outside of shedding is contract.

-I have heard enough about them crying about needing to resign Lamb/Parsons. They have plenty of cap space and have the ability to create space as much as possible. Just look at the Eagles, they keep on spending even after Hurts was extended. Maybe stop resigning average players on your team like a Malik Hooker for example. Giving Zack Martin that extension at his age was insane.
The front office is our most glaring weakness as a team, but sadly, one that will not get addressed until Jerry moves along.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They think they can do it all through the draft, depth FAs and UDFAs. Their scouting dept is one of the better ones imo but they're not as good as they think they are.
Last year's draft is looking awful at the moment, another bad one sets this team back years.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
First of all, we're eight days into free agency and no team has finalized or rosters or filled every hole..

they're gonna wait till after the draft then see where they have true needs instead of getting redundant players, I know you should not have desperation and be full of need in the draft so you feel like they should fill it in free agency there are hundreds of players still available in free agency. tell me every team that's completely changed or replaced all their starters and are ready for game one???

Just because some teams have made more moves doesn't mean they're ready. There's so many more players that are gonna be cut or traded after the draft and it roster cut downs that there's plenty of time to build the roster and by the way saying they haven't replaced them they have there were dudes on this team already that if the draft or freezes doesn't go the way they want we've already talked about it they got guys on the offensive line that I believe if you slide Tyler out the left tackle you can probably use Hoffman and bass and with enough snaps this offseason to get on the same page I don't think we're gonna lose that much Tyler our center was very replaceable hankins was getting old this Tuesday one year contract guy moving from team to team we'll find another one of those guys so there's two starters right there on the offensive line that is replaced even if we don't do another thing because if you think some other free agent that's out there is more of a guarantee than using some players that were already in the system and on this team that showed some promise along with also we have Richards, then you're being snowed under and bamboozled thinking you have to make a move a big move and fill every one of your holes in the 1st 10 days of free agency last time I checked there's six months left before the season starts and there's plenty of players out there plenty of moves to be made I think they wanna see what they can do in the draft and then Phil what true holes they feel they have left with other free agents or a trade or two they brought in cooks and Gilmore last offseason with trades not free agency not with the draft those moves can still be made for other players and these other guys are still available Gilmore ohh and by the way if you think Tony Pollard was a big loss you might want to look around the league he's a dime a dozen literally overrated and overpaid last year.... In my opinion I think Rico was the better player if they would have used him more like they used Pollard and then use Pollard like he should have been used in the first place we would have been a better running team last year but because of what they paid Pollard I guess they felt he should be the starter I mean some fan base thinks that he was but I'm saying that Tony was overrated dude overpaid under delivered not a big loss...

A lot of those players you've mentioned are replaced I mean Armstrong you're really worried about our #3 rotation we have Sam Williams and some other guys that can take his snaps right away I mean I forgot to mention Fowler these guys were fringe players that were either drafted or brought in late in free agency none of them worked tier one free agents or great as rookies they were brought along and they can still do the same thing I don't know what all the worry is literally this is only 10 days into the process nowhere even near the draft or what can be done before game one hell what can be done all the way up to the trade deadline like we did with amari Cooper literally turned the whole season around with the trade deadline we were three and five finished ten and six went to the second round of the playoffs this is a long process people this is a marathon not a Sprint and I'm not saying that to defend the front office I really don't care what they do I'm saying this as a person who watches the NFL there are teams out there that haven't even finish solidifying some of their most important areas like offensive line that would be the Buffalo Bills and the Ravens...
When you lose multiple starters and there is nothing remaining in fa, there is a big problem. Let's also not forget they traded away their 4th rd pick this yr as well. When you say players like Sam Williams can play more snaps, he couldn't be trusted to do so in the past and was regulated to special teams where he was a penalty machine.

In the past, the front office at least signed, low level band-aid starter replacements, they haven't even done it this offseason. You say it's only 10 days post fa, but in years past they make most of their moves after the 1st week. This team is far worse today then it was at the end of last season and won't get much better!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The window has closed. They have to pay the bills. The dead money is killing this team.

Hard to see this team being relevant until 2026. They are rebuilding without saying that is what they are doing.

Which makes that loss to GB even more infuriating. Last year was their best shot to get something done— and they tripped over the starting line (again)
Yep, the window was last season with the possibility to 'go again' in 2024.
The GB game killed that opportunity. To go ALL-IN you need to be pretty certain, the fact that: Dak, Micah and CeeDee (amongst others) couldn't step up when it mattered has meant NO CHANCE of going again....so we've gone the next best option.... (somewhat) reset the CAP which can be done in 2025 (even if they choose to extend Dak and CeeDee).

kskboys

Reaction score
All this Mazi crap. Most DTs drafted don't show up in year 1 unless you're Aaron Donald. Lets see what he does in year 2 before we call him a bust. This shouldn't have to be explained.
DT's must have certain traits to be successful. This shouldn't have to be explained.

blueblood70

Reaction score
When you lose multiple starters and there is nothing remaining in fa, there is a big problem. Let's also not forget they traded away their 4th rd pick this yr as well. When you say players like Sam Williams can play more snaps, he couldn't be trusted to do so in the past and was regulated to special teams where he was a penalty machine.

In the past, the front office at least signed, low level band-aid starter replacements, they haven't even done it this offseason. You say it's only 10 days post fa, but in years past they make most of their moves after the 1st week. This team is far worse today then it was at the end of last season and won't get much better!
And when you say nothing that's your opinion there's hundreds of really good players still left some could be traded for and you're saying nothing so you're saying there's only good free agents in the first week of free agency that's it there's no other good players I'm telling you you're wrong and I'm telling you right now you're overreacting you say not to overreact I'm saying you're overreacting.. No Sam Williams maybe couldn't be trusted in your opinion but that doesn't mean given the opportunity he can't change maybe Mike Zimmer and maybe his growth as a human you know with age comes maturity it can happen so before you deem it a losing off season what is that word you all used a couple years ago historically bad offseason and somehow we went to the second round of the playoffs y'all are ridiculous y'all did not know how to judge an offseason because it only has just begun therefore it's incomplete to be determined and we will find out game one what kind of team we have then we can complain each game about how a better offseason could have maybe helped in that particular loss... But really this can't be judged until February you're judging this 10 days not even a full 10 real days it literally the 14th of March was literally opening free agent. Not the non tampering area and you're saying there's no players left???

That's hilarious dude you all are all infected with the same inpatient and overreaction gene maybe it's a virus, I realize that this disappointment in the playoff losses has created this environment but it's getting ridiculous earlier and earlier every year we predict doom and gloom that the offseason was a failure before it even really gets off the ground....

I mean at least you usually wait until like minicamp or an OTA or maybe training camp to start complaining because they literally are not done again you can make trades we did it with cooks and Gilmore and brought over hankins those are all players you're saying you wish you had back well they brought those players in via trade, not free agency not the draft, there are all opportunities are still open to finish building this team before game one...Trades, draft, Left over Fas UDFAs etc etc ertc

here's the big problem you are mistaking the first seven days of free agency where the biggest names with the biggest deals are taken off the board you think that those are the best players in the NFL when rosters have 53 players plus a practice squad mostly all built not with those names that were already taken those are just pieces most of which we didn't need or want overpriced running backs definitely not we didn't need a quarterback you take all those moves off the board and again I asked somebody else this and they wouldn't post it how many premier nose tackles were there actually available not the ones who resigned with their teams but the ones who are actually available did the Cowboys didn't pursue like how many of them were there pure true nose tackles available in the 1st 10 days of free agency right now or again since the 14 that's signed to a new team as a true free agent?? That goes for a lot of these moves I know what we really wanted as a fan base but a lot of those are the same types we said you shouldn't waste time or money on ie RBs...

Relax there's plenty of time to build this roster up and again we could talk in February of how the offseason wasn't good enough but right now way way early overreaction I like how you said that in your first line that you're not trying to overreact but yet you are... Somehow there's like 1000 players in the NFL and you think that the 1st 10 days of free agency all the good ones are gone to build a good roster...

kskboys

Reaction score
No, they're forced to due to no salary cap space. We had to hustle just to get enough room to sign our own draft picks.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The front office is our most glaring weakness as a team, but sadly, one that will not get addressed until Jerry moves along.
Looking at it objectively, if the Jones' had any footballing acumin then they'd realise that this is the perfect time to change GM....no pressure as we've limited expectation with the soft build 2024, no long CAP killing contracts to manoeuvre, star players to extend/trade and build around.
Maybe, just maybe, there's some acceptance that the attempt at 2023 (which for them, with Cooks and Gilmore, was ALL-In)....just highlighted they need someone else.
Written with a straight face, in an alternate world.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

A team that wants to build through the draft should probably retain as many draft picks as possible. What do you suggest the Cowboys trade for players to improve the roster? Like Dallas, Philly got smoked in the first round of the playoffs. They won one less game than Dallas. Now, like Dallas they have to put together a roster for the 2024 season. How is it they have signed more free agents to replace the ones they’ve lost, have more cap space and have more draft picks in this year’s draft? And the same can be said of the 49ers, who won more games than Dallas and did not lose in the first round of the playoffs. Green Bay and Detroit have felt compelled to assess their rosters and make acquisitions they feel are prudent. These are all teams intent on returning to the playoffs this season. And you think the Cowboys will go the trade route to improve like they did getting Gilmore last season, and he’s a free agent they don’t seem to want to re-sign…after one season! If Cowboys fans want to indicate some angst in deference to the upcoming season I believe it’s justified. I applaud your fidelity to blind optimism, but the sky may actually be falling this time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A team that wants to build through the draft should probably retain as many draft picks as possible. What do you suggest the Cowboys trade for players to improve the roster? Like Dallas, Philly got smoked in the first round of the playoffs. They won one less game than Dallas. Now, like Dallas they have to put together a roster for the 2024 season. How is it they have signed more free agents to replace the ones they’ve lost, have more cap space and have more draft picks in this year’s draft? And the same can be said of the 49ers, who won more games than Dallas and did not lose in the first round of the playoffs. Green Bay and Detroit have felt compelled to assess their rosters and make acquisitions they feel are prudent. These are all teams intent on returning to the playoffs this season. And you think the Cowboys will go the trade route to improve like they did getting Gilmore last season, and he’s a free agent they don’t seem to want to re-sign…after one season! If Cowboys fans want to indicate some angst in deference to the upcoming season I believe it’s justified. I applaud your fidelity to blind optimism, but the sky may actually be falling this time.
First of all, that's not what I said I said use every Ave. ,

there are hundreds of free agents still available, they have all options available except for the bigger name free agents for the bigger money that happened in the first eight days.....

there are so many free agents left out there that you can easily fill your holes after the draft and still be competitive and still yes get to the playoffs... Why is it I always gotta hear about the Eagles or the Niners or now the lions which by the way is a joke they haven't done anything yet this is a one year thing for them we'll see what they do over the next five years... But let's talk about Kansas City the last three years show me all the big name free agents they signed in the first eight days of free agency show me how they built their roster full of high-priced free agents and then we can talk because last I checked they won a Super Bowl with a running back by committee led by a seventh round running back they also used a wide receiver by committee they also used a well built roster with good depth that was found through undrafted free agents and the draft and whatever other free agents that were left that were not in the first eight days of free agency frenzy... So we're gonna talk about a team that has won back-to-back Super Bowls that beat the teams you're talking about they did it more like the Cowboys have done it yes they have probably a better coaching staff and a slightly better quarterback they can get away with doing it I get that's gonna be the next response but you talk about all the teams that are losing to a team that has not been that aggressive in free agency they signed their own players and they built a team that one a Super Bowl without being aggressive in the first eight days of free agency.... I mean I could be wrong but show me the last three off seasons for the Kansas City Chiefs in free agency the 1st 10 days of free agency... Show me all those moves they made...

you act like every team needed to finish this whole process in the first eight days or they're doomed and I'm tired of hearing about it so move on agree to disagree we will never be on the same page!!

I get it you're frustrated but nobody builds a team in the first eight days, you could talk about our competitors all you want but I don't care I've literally don't care what they're doing all I care about is results...

so we could talk about this next February when we have the full results to discus,

I'm not talking about this anymore with y'all,

yeah I don't get it you think they should have made a bunch of moves in the first eight days and that there's no time left and there's no good players left,

so there's no debating it you think it's over before it really has got traction, the offseason process to build the roster is barely eight days old with six months left, if you don't get it I won't be able to get through to you so let's stop talking move the Frick on!!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Shorter answer is we need to look at the Kansas City Chiefs and the New England Patriots because they're the ones who are the only ones consistently winning a Super Bowls and last I checked when they were doing so they were not the most aggressive teams in free agency, they did not get involved in the first seven days of free agency and bring over the biggest names and build their roster they actually did it the opposite, they did it more like the Cowboys and I get it they probably had better coaching staff slightly better quarterbacks but in fact they did not do what the Rams Eagles and 49ers did and they're the ones who are winning all the Super bowls which you'll keep bringing up the runner ups or the ones not lifting Lombardi's...

Games are not typically built in the 1st 10 days of free agency there are hundreds of free agents still out there, there are players who still going to be released, then there's the draft, then there are trades and then they're undrafted free agents there are lots of opportunity still left but you all lack act like it's only done in the 1st 10 days is the barometer for the whole season OK Nostradamus I disagree we can agree to disagree...

OK tell me this take the day to go out and show me every transaction that was made by all 32 teams of bringing in players from outside of their organization in free agency and then tell me how many players are actually on all the rosters and tell me how it's just a drop in the bucket these moves well I don't disagree with it and I wished our front office was a little more aggressive are barely even on the radar for what all teams actually need to finish building their rosters....

Most of the NFL are doing it like the Dallas Cowboys they are gonna draft after the draft they're gonna fill in the rest of the roster in a variety of ways..

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
First of all, that's not what I said I said use every Ave. ,

there are hundreds of free agents still available, they have all options available except for the bigger name free agents for the bigger money that happened in the first eight days.....

there are so many free agents left out there that you can easily fill your holes after the draft and still be competitive and still yes get to the playoffs... Why is it I always gotta hear about the Eagles or the Niners or now the lions which by the way is a joke they haven't done anything yet this is a one year thing for them we'll see what they do over the next five years... But let's talk about Kansas City the last three years show me all the big name free agents they signed in the first eight days of free agency show me how they built their roster full of high-priced free agents and then we can talk because last I checked they won a Super Bowl with a running back by committee led by a seventh round running back they also used a wide receiver by committee they also used a well built roster with good depth that was found through undrafted free agents and the draft and whatever other free agents that were left that were not in the first eight days of free agency frenzy... So we're gonna talk about a team that has won back-to-back Super Bowls that beat the teams you're talking about they did it more like the Cowboys have done it yes they have probably a better coaching staff and a slightly better quarterback they can get away with doing it I get that's gonna be the next response but you talk about all the teams that are losing to a team that has not been that aggressive in free agency they signed their own players and they built a team that one a Super Bowl without being aggressive in the first eight days of free agency.... I mean I could be wrong but show me the last three off seasons for the Kansas City Chiefs in free agency the 1st 10 days of free agency... Show me all those moves they made...

you act like every team needed to finish this whole process in the first eight days or they're doomed and I'm tired of hearing about it so move on agree to disagree we will never be on the same page!!

I get it you're frustrated but nobody builds a team in the first eight days, you could talk about our competitors all you want but I don't care I've literally don't care what they're doing all I care about is results...

so we could talk about this next February when we have the full results to discus,

I'm not talking about this anymore with y'all,

yeah I don't get it you think they should have made a bunch of moves in the first eight days and that there's no time left and there's no good players left,

so there's no debating it you think it's over before it really has got traction, the offseason process to build the roster is barely eight days old with six months left, if you don't get it I won't be able to get through to you so let's stop talking move the Frick on!!!
Actually, yes, teams do acquire players in the first 8 days of free agency if they’re proactive enough to know what they’re trying to do and want to secure the services of particular free agents before another team does. So it is prudent to sign players early. Compare that to a team that can’t even make up it’s mind on its own starting quarterback.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They're not trying to win. That's for sure.

I think they're trying to drive Dak to agree to a trade.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Actually, yes, teams do acquire players in the first 8 days of free agency if they’re proactive enough to know what they’re trying to do and want to secure the services of particular free agents before another team does. So it is prudent to sign players early. Compare that to a team that can’t even make up it’s mind on its own starting quarterback.
Yes 32 teams may have made 16 moves, I mean how many free agents that we could have used literally taking away all quarterbacks and running backs, how many moves were made by 32 teams in the first eight days?? I can tell you its literally is a drop in the bucket compared to a 32 team league that probably has 1000 players in it and literally every team still has holes there are very little moves compared to all the actual moves that will be made before game one by every team...

we can't make up our own mind about starting quarterback? that would be like half the league, we actually have ours for 2024, so it's already settled we're talking about the future but lots of players play the last year of their contracts,

but again the way too soon crowd doesn't even know Prescott could get an extension the week before game one we're talking about 8 days in the free agency and you think that it's all over because we didn't make a move for a big name for big money and again got to take out all the running backs because this place is all hypocrites at its best because they said don't overpay for an older aging running backs or running backs on 2nd contracts, dime dozen crowd nopw has changed lol

we also don't need a quarterback, so take all those moves away and how many actual moves by the other 31 teams were made in free agency, how many outside free agents were brought into the other 31 teams??

We are set at quarterback for 2024 that's all that matters.... But again I'm gonna reiterate for the last time we are eight days in to the new league year in free agency and you trying to tell me that there's no shot at signing more of our own free agents bringing back some of our own players and building a roster that's competitive and that's gonna make the playoffs this year is ridiculous again way too soon to be making blanket comments like that because you don't know the future I heard this same crap with the historically bad offseason a couple years back and we made it to the second round of the playoffs that's pretty damn good for having a historically bad offseason.... No that would be a outsiders opinion of what's going on inside the star that nobody knows what's gonna come of this roster until we start playing games.....