What in the world is going on with this front office?

Flamma

Reaction score
Which is why I'm not counting on diggs to be diggs til the 26 season, anything we get from him this season is a bonus,much like Pollard.
We'll see if you're right or not. But Diggs is a bit different as he had 4-5 months more time to heal.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We went from we like our guys to we don't like our guys and we don't like your guys either.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Get yourself in a spot to make a serious playoff run…..then leave yourself short on the field and justify it by being satisfied that you didn’t pay A+ prices for B- players.

Nice angle Stevie.

Not only can’t recognize that it won’t work, but boasts over how great it is.

Infuriating.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Get yourself in a spot to make a serious playoff run…..then leave yourself short on the field and justify it by being satisfied that you didn’t pay A+ prices for B- players.

Nice angle Stevie.

Not only can’t recognize that it won’t work, but boasts over how great it is.

Infuriating.
Jerry is infatuated with comp picks and comp calculations. So signing legit free agents is off limits.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
That's ridiculous it's one thing to say it might take the first half of the season to get back on track but you think it's gonna take two full years it does not take most players 2 full years to get back on track just because Michael gallop never came back around he was already a fringe #3 but played like a #2 at times he was never great so his fall wasn't as bad as people wanna make it out to be and Terrence Steele got better at the end of the year but there's a lot of guys around the NFL what's the receiver that got hurt at the same time as Gallup didn't he get close to 1000 yards coming back off the same surgery that happened around the same time and he at least put up a solid season...

I mean I have to literally read that twice 2026 you think we have to wait two years for him to be back that's ridiculous just about everybody around the NFL usually only takes half a season to start trusting the repair and being themselves it doesn't really have anything that's truly physical it's more mental and them trusting that they can run normally cut normally and they stop thinking about it that usually only takes the first six months... Have you had guys like Adrian Peterson didn't miss a beat lots of guys come back and they're normal their first season back even people and I know it wasn't an ACL thought Prescott was gonna have a big set back and he had one of his best years that's a pro in 2021 after his surgery...

I'll give you he might be rusty and not very confident the first six games or so but let's not be so ridiculous and say 2026...:facepalm: o_O :popcorn:
Some players never fully recover mentally. No team in the contemporary NFL puts a “rusty” CB on the field.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Some players never fully recover mentally. No team in the contemporary NFL puts a “rusty” CB on the field.
He will be just fine.

But let's draft another one. Just make sure he can tackle, because teams are going to be running all over us next year.

quickccc

Reaction score
I am not one to overreact or make quick judgement, but what in the world is our front office trying to accomplish this offseason and why is MM and the rest of the coaching staff allowing it to happen?

-First, they either have to extend Dak or trade him before the draft. They cannot trade or franchise him after this season. Worst case scenario, he departs via fa next offseason and the team has nothing to show for it outside of shedding is contract.

-I understand their free agent philosophy, but how many starters have they already lost, without replacing any of them except Lve with Kendricks? Pollard, Biaz, Tyron, Armstrong, Hankins, Gilmore. That's 6 starters, with zero replacements. They already have less draft picks this year due to the Lance trade, where do they expect to replace these players?

-I have heard enough about them crying about needing to resign Lamb/Parsons. They have plenty of cap space and have the ability to create space as much as possible. Just look at the Eagles, they keep on spending even after Hurts was extended. Maybe stop resigning average players on your team like a Malik Hooker for example. Giving Zack Martin that extension at his age was insane.

Thanks for Sharing .....

I dunno why we are constantly tongue lagging over Dak being traded, his current and future huge contracts, being cut or hitting free agency. Is this just entertainment value or mass confusion ?
He is gonna get his money that he wants, And its not gonna be a home “ friendly deal “discount

- You think Cowboys, who had all world trouble even coming close to acquiring a legit starting QB
And avoided some very near disasters ..ala Johnny Manziel,.. Paxton Lynch, Conner Cook.. etc.

and to a QB who finished 2nd in the entire NFL in league MVP voting
(yes even over Mahomes, .Brock Purdy, ..Goff, .Tua… etc.) gonna even chance letting Prescott go ?
2nd place MVP voting may not meant much to disgruntled Cowboys fans, but it’s a shout out among NFL peers, coaches.

- And look at the trend around the NFL, and how hard and so very desperate NFL teams are to acquire and secure just a legit starting NFL QB. (ala Kirk Cousins- coming off an torn Achilles Tendon) .. Steelers trading away1st round bust QB Kenny Pickett, signing washed up Russell Wilson .. trading for another 1st round bust Justin Fields …

- Dak was 2nd in MVP voting, and we’ve led the NFL in offensive yardage under two different play callers in Kellen and McCarthy, ..you think even Money Ball Stephen and Jerry gonna Let Dak go ..?

:huh:

Frankly I only understand or get the impression of their FA philosophy to be “ Money Ball “ approach (refers to Brad Pitt baseball movie) ..try to win a SB with a dirt cheap spending approach.

(late round pick trades ala Robert Quinn, Brandon Cooks, Gilmore,.. McClay draft genius, to which we tend to draft good one year, ..followed by disappointing draft class the very next year.

And we simply do not sign big name players to big name FA contracts. We usually re-sign our own big name vet FAs, but Tyron Smith (future HOF) was first outta the door.

Otherwise the FA vets we are simply not interested in re-signing to a significant deal,.. they become gone ala Conner Williams, Pollard, Armstrong, Hankins, Fowler, etc.

Amari Cooper was an usual trade away case.

With that 4th round pick per Trey Lance, they could easily re-acquire it from a trade down in the NFL draft – providing the idea player(s) they initially wanted are not there, and that opens a pathway to a trade down.

I have my own impressions in how/what will become of the Trey Lance acquistion and development, but maybe

My problem will be again be Stephen Cap Boy, and his conservative nature

Zack Martin was still playing at a high level,heading into his tail end of his career. For an interior that was still All pro and a leader that dollar nummber is not gonna hurt us.

However this current OL coach Solaris, and it’s RB coaches and this reach- scheme seems ill fit for Martin & crew; one of the continued issue with run game and RB use

is McCarthy and his asst. coaches, imo. And who knows how much it also plays into further struggle with a ACL recovering Steele.

It’s about Stephen, not “ All in “ Jerry. We’ll keep hearing “ Jerry this, Jerry that “ but these tight-wad, stingy FA strategy is about Stephen, ..not Jerry.

If it was Jeryr, we’d be buck wild ( and super deep in the red ) if it was left up to Jerry to lead. Jerry is gonna be in the know “ ..but imo, he’s clearly given the operational reins to

his son and heir apparent owner “ Cap Boy” Stephen.

quickccc

Reaction score
I am not one to overreact or make quick judgement, but what in the world is our front office trying to accomplish this offseason and why is MM and the rest of the coaching staff allowing it to happen?

-First, they either have to extend Dak or trade him before the draft. They cannot trade or franchise him after this season. Worst case scenario, he departs via fa next offseason and the team has nothing to show for it outside of shedding is contract.

-I understand their free agent philosophy, but how many starters have they already lost, without replacing any of them except Lve with Kendricks? Pollard, Biaz, Tyron, Armstrong, Hankins, Gilmore. That's 6 starters, with zero replacements. They already have less draft picks this year due to the Lance trade, where do they expect to replace these players?

-I have heard enough about them crying about needing to resign Lamb/Parsons. They have plenty of cap space and have the ability to create space as much as possible. Just look at the Eagles, they keep on spending even after Hurts was extended. Maybe stop resigning average players on your team like a Malik Hooker for example. Giving Zack Martin that extension at his age was insane.
Frankly I only understand or get the impression of their FA philosophy is to be “ Money Ball “ approach (refers to Brad Pitt baseball movie) ..try to win a SB with a dirt cheap spending approach.

- Late round pick trades ala Robert Quinn, Brandon Cooks, Gilmore,.. McClay draft genius, to which we tend to draft good one year, ..followed by disappointing draft class the very next year.

- And we simply do not sign big name players to big name FA contracts. We usually re-sign our own big name vet FAs, but Tyron Smith (future HOF) was first outta the door.

- Otherwise the FA vets we are simply not interested in re-signing to a significant deal,.. they become gone ala Conner Williams, Pollard, Armstrong, Hankins, Fowler, etc.

- With that 4th round pick per Trey Lance, they could easily re-acquire it from a trade down in the NFL draft – providing the idea player(s) they initially wanted are not there, and that opens a pathway to a trade down.
I have my own impressions in how/what will become of the Trey Lance acquistion and development, but maybe

- My problem. our problem,.. will be again be Stephen Cap Boy, and his conservative nature

Zack Martin was still playing at a high level,heading into his tail end of his career. For an interior that was still All pro and a leader that dollar nummber is not gonna hurt us.

However this current OL coach Solaris, and it’s RB coaches and this reach- scheme seems ill fit for Martin & crew; one of the continued issue with run game and RB use

is McCarthy and his asst. coaches, imo. And who knows how much it also plays into further struggle with a ACL recovering Steele.

It’s about Stephen, not “ All in “ Jerry. We’ll keep hearing “ Jerry this, Jerry that “ but these tight-wad, stingy FA strategy is about Stephen, ..not Jerry.

If it was Jeryr, we’d be buck wild ( and super deep in the red ) if it was left up to Jerry to lead. Jerry is gonna be in the know “ ..but imo, he’s clearly given the operational reins to

HungryLion

Reaction score
Only 5 starters need to be replaced rn. Diggs return makes up for Gilmore.

Hankins is being replaced by Mazi most likely.

DA is being replaced by Sam Williams.

Offensive replacements are more questionable but I’m pretty sure Tyler moves to LT.

My speculation is that our 1st round pick starts at C or LG. I think our 2nd or 3rd pick will start at RB sharing time with Rico.
5 starters is a lot of positions of need. You’re not going to get 5 players ready to start in the draft.

They’ll be lucky to get 2-3.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Thanks for Sharing .....

I dunno why we are constantly tongue lagging over Dak being traded, his current and future huge contracts, being cut or hitting free agency. Is this just entertainment value or mass confusion ?
He is gonna get his money that he wants, And its not gonna be a home “ friendly deal “discount

- You think Cowboys, who had all world trouble even coming close to acquiring a legit starting QB
And avoided some very near disasters ..ala Johnny Manziel,.. Paxton Lynch, Conner Cook.. etc.

and to a QB who finished 2nd in the entire NFL in league MVP voting
(yes even over Mahomes, .Brock Purdy, ..Goff, .Tua… etc.) gonna even chance letting Prescott go ?
2nd place MVP voting may not meant much to disgruntled Cowboys fans, but it’s a shout out among NFL peers, coaches.

- And look at the trend around the NFL, and how hard and so very desperate NFL teams are to acquire and secure just a legit starting NFL QB. (ala Kirk Cousins- coming off an torn Achilles Tendon) .. Steelers trading away1st round bust QB Kenny Pickett, signing washed up Russell Wilson .. trading for another 1st round bust Justin Fields …

- Dak was 2nd in MVP voting, and we’ve led the NFL in offensive yardage under two different play callers in Kellen and McCarthy, ..you think even Money Ball Stephen and Jerry gonna Let Dak go ..?

:huh:

Frankly I only understand or get the impression of their FA philosophy to be “ Money Ball “ approach (refers to Brad Pitt baseball movie) ..try to win a SB with a dirt cheap spending approach.

(late round pick trades ala Robert Quinn, Brandon Cooks, Gilmore,.. McClay draft genius, to which we tend to draft good one year, ..followed by disappointing draft class the very next year.

And we simply do not sign big name players to big name FA contracts. We usually re-sign our own big name vet FAs, but Tyron Smith (future HOF) was first outta the door.

Otherwise the FA vets we are simply not interested in re-signing to a significant deal,.. they become gone ala Conner Williams, Pollard, Armstrong, Hankins, Fowler, etc.

With that 4th round pick per Trey Lance, they could easily re-acquire it from a trade down in the NFL draft – providing the idea player(s) they initially wanted are not there, and that opens a pathway to a trade down.

My problem will be again be Stephen Cap Boy, and his conservative nature

You maybe correct, but Dak may not want to come back after this embarrassment of an off season.

He has enough money already. Can he win a SB in Dallas? Is Jethro even trying to?

Can he make more somewhere else?

Is there a team he could join that is actually trying to win?

Time will tell.

If I was Dak and GM Jethro tried to extend my contract before camp, after an abortion of an off season, I would say let's talk at the end of the season.

plasticman

Reaction score
It can't be easy.

On one hand, how do you compete when half your salary cap is going to go to 3-4 players?

On the other hand, how do you let go of two of the best players at their position, Lamb and Parsons?

On one hand, how do you give an elite level contract to a QB that is very good in the regular season but can't close the season on top?

On the other hand, what chance is there with any other eligible QB the Cowboy can get their hands on?

It is going to take some excellent management to resolve these issues successfully.....I wouldn't count on it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think it's more about Dak taking less, which isn't going to happen, especially with his agent.
Why would Dak take less to play on a crappy team this year?
Maybe Dak takes less in exchange for Jerry mortgaging the future to build a team now.
That's why, if a win-win deal were to be made, it needed to be made *before* free agency.
But Stephen has signaled that they don't intend for a deal to be made before training camp, meaning that this entire offseason we won't be improving the team in free agency.
I'm sure they can read the room on Dak and his free agent as well as anyone. Dak and his agent aren't in the discount game. Maybe they'll play out the year behind a bad team. Maybe they'll push for a trade. The latter seems the more reasonable path for them, to at least explore the options to lock in a big contract this year instead of risking injury or poor performance.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The OP asks what is going on with the front office . . . obviously, not much. Both Jerry and Son, Stephen are perfectly content to remain content. Being rich and stagnant, while getting attention they'd never command otherwise is their claim to fame. They do love getting attention, though!

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
My problem. our problem,.. will be again be Stephen Cap Boy, and his conservative nature
Playing with that comment.....which I agree with. When was the time (using hindsight) to take that risk? Last year, we drafted for need Mazi and a blocking TE to help the running game, then Diggs out after GM2 and LVE GM5.
Now the ALL-IN move that was potentially on the table was Henry (for with our late pick would probably have meant us trading away a 1stRD pick).
Looking at how the GB game panned out, Henry wouldnt have made a difference as our first two drives went down as Dak twice threw 2 balls for No Gain to end both drives.......14-0 GAME OVER. We'd be worse off than we are now
Yes, I agree, ive no confidence in the 'same 'ole' attitude and YES we need an independent GM that's got repercussions for his actions......but sometimes you have to accept that you need to build the near certainty, before you pull the trigger.
My hope is, reset the CAP in 2024, employ a GM with a decent chance: in limited payroll commitment, decent CAP availability, talent and choices as to how to proceed.

offlimits

Reaction score
It's pretty clear they believe their window closed last year. They keep saying they are going to extend Dak, but this is the first time I'm not sure if they mean it. I mean Jerry is too old for a complete rebuild -- it wouldn't shock me to see them sell the team after next year and they are just absorbing the worst of the Dak contract now so that the team is more sellable. Also wouldn't shock me to see them take another mid-round QB this draft.
Dallas Cowboys Inc. is the Jones family business. A Jones family member will run this franchise long past our expiration dates.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
For the last 30 years, the Jones's have turned a multimillion dollar franchise into a multi billion dollar franchise. Why would anyone think that they would change a single thing?

Lesson #1 and only 1:
"If it don't make dollars then it don't make sense"
Err the Cowboys would have been a multi-billion dollar franchise regardless who owned us during the last 30 years.

The Jones' really get too much credit

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You know....I didn't start believing that until this offseason. I don't think winning is the Joneses #1 priority. Their brand seems to be more important.
and people think there are no hills in Dallas.
The stink always rolls down the hill from the FO - Coaches - Players - fans unfortunately that fuel it.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would think this will work.

Replace Hankins with Mazi, a guy that looked like a bust last year. But now he's going to start and be an upgrade?

Replace Armstrong and Fowler with Sam Williams? Sam Williams was part of the rotation last year. So who is replacing Armstrong and Fowler?

On offense replace Tyron and Biadasz with Bass and Hoffman or high draft pick. I think we will draft OL in the first, but would then likely have to fill the other starting position with either Bass/Hoffman. Drafting a guard in the later rounds? When was the last time that worked? We've drafted several OL on day 3 the last few years and none have panned out...Ball, Farniok, Waletzko.

Replace Pollard with I suppose a 2nd or 3rd rounder, otherwise it's Dowdle/Deuce or a jag.

Gallup being replaced by Tolbert, but Tolbert was in the rotation last year and a no show in year 1.

The only position we actually have tried to fill is replacing LVE with Kendricks. The rest is just having guys who were lower on the depth chart move up, in some cases despite showing anything yet. And then the draft, where any given year you are lucky to get 2 starters, and even then they may not be immediate starters. Otherwise it's looking at UDFA, street FA''s/waiver wire, and/or trading future draft picks to rent an aging player for a year or two.
They are ready to unleash our beastly 2nd team, they have been secretly developing.