What is Dak's supposed "leverage"?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
What another team might pay him isn't leverage over Dallas. It may influence Dak's decision, but that's all.

The first two questions are:
Does Dallas want to retain him? If no, there is no leverage the player can apply. If yes, move to question 2.
At what price point both in terms of real dollars & cap flexibility? If Dallas's answer to those are less than Dak's alternatives, then Dak has options ..., but not leverage to change Dallas's viewpoint.

I would like to buy a fancy new vehicle but I have a price point I'm not willing to exceed. The fact that others might pay the price doesn't give the dealership leverage over me.
Overall you're correct except for one detail.... if the dealership has other buyers willing to pay then the dealership really doesn't even care about you. In fact if the dealership has too many buyers they will mark up the price of the car.

If Dallas already has made up their mind that Dak wont come back then yeah Dak really doesn't have any leverage in the situation. Maybe leverage isnt the right word to use here as we don't know the Cowboys intentions. Ultimately though Dak has zero reason to give any sort of discount to the Cowboys because he will have plenty of bidders in about 9 months from now. Similar to the car dealership that wont cut you a deal on the price because they have 10 other people wanting to come look at it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mr Prescott has no leverage, Only leverage is if he reaches the Championship game.
Hopefully you’re joking because you couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. :rolleyes: I’ve never seen a player that has more leverage than Dak. If he enters free agency, he’ll be the first $60 million QB. It’s going to be one heck of a bidding war.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Overall you're correct except for one detail.... if the dealership has other buyers willing to pay then the dealership really doesn't even care about you. In fact if the dealership has too many buyers they will mark up the price of the car.

If Dallas already has made up their mind that Dak wont come back then yeah Dak really doesn't have any leverage in the situation. Maybe leverage isnt the right word to use here as we don't know the Cowboys intentions. Ultimately though Dak has zero reason to give any sort of discount to the Cowboys because he will have plenty of bidders in about 9 months from now. Similar to the car dealership that wont cut you a deal on the price because they have 10 other people wanting to come look at it.
exactly what I am saying. Dak may have other options just like the dealership but they can't leverage me. I'm willing to understand that I won't get the product unless it's a deal I am comfortable with.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Don't a lot of teams do this? Move on, trade, whatever...a good player? Either age, contracts, what have you.

Not sure why people are freaking out about it being Dak.
Players retire. Players get traded. I don’t recall a productive 31 year old quarterback simply being told goodbye for nothing more than a compensatory third round draft choice in return. So, no, “a lot of teams” do not do this.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Hopefully you’re joking because you couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. :rolleyes: I’ve never seen a player that has more leverage than Dak. If he enters free agency, he’ll be the first $60 million QB. It’s going to be one heck of a bidding war.
Its just my opinion so I honest don't care what you think. I'm not paying Ferrari money for a Reliable Honda.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s just my opinion so I honest don't care what you think. I'm not paying Ferrari money for a Reliable Honda.
Don’t know how you came up with that opinion because it couldn’t be more skewed. No teams think the way you do. You won’t have a QB worth a crap these days if you don’t pay Ferrari money.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Players retire. Players get traded. I don’t recall a productive 31 year old quarterback simply being told goodbye for nothing more than a compensatory third round draft choice in return. So, no, “a lot of teams” do not do this.
Chargers let Brees become a FA and leave at age of 25\26.

But obviously no one wants to do that. Most would not give a no trade clause ensuring they have an out while still under contract. Only idiots give away the farm.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Spot on. Love him or hate him the Cowboys have been blessed to land a Dak Prescott in round 4 of the draft. Some teams would run him until the wheels fall off, others would trade him for a massive return....Neither is really a bad strategy depending on the situation. Letting a guy like this walk in free agency for the sweet 3rd round comp pick is just poor roster management.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s just my opinion so I honest don't care what you think. I'm not paying Ferrari money for a Reliable Honda.
Don’t know how you came up with that opinion because it couldn’t be more skewed. You won’t have a QB worth crap these days if you don’t pay Ferrari money.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Don’t know how you came up with that opinion because it couldn’t be more skewed. No teams think the way you do. You won’t have a QB worth a crap these days if you don’t pay Ferrari money.
Dak is not a Ferrari which is the problem, He is a Pontiac Fiero Ferrari kit car.......

Chasing6

Reaction score
He could win it all in Pittsburgh. They’ll support him with a solid defense. The Steelers have always been known for their defense. There’s going to be a huge bidding war if Dak enters free agency.
Dak will pick the team that gives him the best chance to win. He will not take the most money to go to the Raiders.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak is not a Ferrari which is the problem, He is a Pontiac Fiero Ferrari kit car.......
There’s only one true Ferrari at QB in the NFL. Most of the rest that are getting big money, including Dak are in the Mercedes/BMW range. Trevor Lawrence is more like a Pontiac Fiero and he’s the highest paid QB in the league along with Joe Burrow. If you don’t want to pay big money for a solid QB, you’re going be stuck with a Toyota or Honda and that may be dependable on the road, but not at QB in the NFL.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I keep reading about Dak supposedly having leverage in contract negotiations with the Cowboys, but what does he really have?
He has to be desirable for the Cowboys to want to sign him, but why should they want him back?
He has a proven record of choking in the biggest games every season.
Cooper Rush outplayed him when he came in during Dak's injury two years ago, going 5-1.
Dak single handedly cost the Cowboys the game versus the Packers last season in the playoffs, and cost McCarthy the win in his return to Green Bay the year before.
Dak promised to bring rings to the Cowboys with his last contract, but has consistently been the reason they don't win versus good teams and in the playoffs.
So what "leverage" does he supposedly have? He has a proven record of letting the Cowboys down every time they need him.
It would seem that he should be hoping and praying that Jerry is still gullible enough to give him another chance.
Supposed. :lmao:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak will pick the team that gives him the best chance to win. He will not take the most money to go to the Raiders.
You don’t know what he’s going to do. If someone offers him $60 million per he may sign regardless the team. Money talks. He’ll have his choice of several teams if he gets to free agency and money will be a big factor. If it wasn’t, he would probably have already been extended. It’s not like he hasn’t been given an offer.

Mikexike

Reaction score
There’s only one true Ferrari at QB in the NFL. Most of the rest that are getting big money, including Dak are in the Mercedes/BMW range. Trevor Lawrence is more like a Pontiac Fiero and he’s the highest paid QB in the league along with Joe Burrow. If you don’t want to pay big money for a solid QB, you’re going be stuck with a Toyota or Honda and that may be dependable on the road, but not at QB in the NFL.
Hopefully we have a full warranty with BMW DAK and not one out of factory warranty if he gets extended.

Chasing6

Reaction score
None of us have seen Trey Lance play. I'm keeping my powder dry until I see him on the field. I suspect they'll have to draft Dak's replacement.
Some of us don't need to see him play either.