What is Dak's supposed "leverage"?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players retire. Players get traded. I don’t recall a productive 31 year old quarterback simply being told goodbye for nothing more than a compensatory third round draft choice in return. So, no, “a lot of teams” do not do this.
Okay...i wasnt trying to be a know it all. It was a sincere question. No need for the attitude.
. I just see teams "move on". Lance a good example. Not sure what tampa gave for mayfield...he played well for them.

You can say dak is a million times better but we dont have much to show for it.
And no...not saying its all daks fault.
Just have to determine if even more money is worth it.
I dont buy the notion no other qb can get us as far as dak for years to come. Thats my real notion.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Hopefully we have a full warranty with BMW DAK and not one out of factory warranty if he gets extended.
Despite what’s happened in the playoffs, he’s been dependable. He’s had a deal with a lot of bumpy roads with this team but he’s been keeping us on track every season. He had to deal with coaching changes, inconsistent running games, no run defense and a team that leads the league in penalties almost every year. Tough to stay on the road with all that but he’s managed.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Okay...i wasnt trying to be a know it all. It was a sincere question. No need for the attitude.
. I just see teams "move on". Lance a good example. Not sure what tampa gave for mayfield...he played well for them.

You can say dak is a million times better but we dont have much to show for it.
And no...not saying its all daks fault.
Just have to determine if even more money is worth it.
I dont buy the notion no other qb can get us as far as dak for years to come. Thats my real notion.
3rd most wins since 2016.

shabazz

Reaction score
Dak is not a Ferrari which is the problem, He is a Pontiac Fiero Ferrari kit car.......
That's a bit harsh. I was thinking at least a Honda Prius.

But on the real though, in today's NFL doesn't every "above-average" Qb have leverage on NFL teams?

The demand is high and the supply is the lowest quality I've seen in years.

2 words.....Kirk Cousins

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I would just love to see what other teams would actually be willing to pay for Dak's services.

I personally think his value to other teams is overrated by many here. I'd expect something far closer to a Cousins type deal than a top of the market deal.

Neither Dak or the team has any real leverage.
You just need one owner as incompetent as Jerry to sign him to a mega deal, and there probably is one, but I agree not that many.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
I keep reading about Dak supposedly having leverage in contract negotiations with the Cowboys, but what does he really have?
He has to be desirable for the Cowboys to want to sign him, but why should they want him back?
He has a proven record of choking in the biggest games every season.
Cooper Rush outplayed him when he came in during Dak's injury two years ago, going 5-1.
Dak single handedly cost the Cowboys the game versus the Packers last season in the playoffs, and cost McCarthy the win in his return to Green Bay the year before.
Dak promised to bring rings to the Cowboys with his last contract, but has consistently been the reason they don't win versus good teams and in the playoffs.
So what "leverage" does he supposedly have? He has a proven record of letting the Cowboys down every time they need him.
It would seem that he should be hoping and praying that Jerry is still gullible enough to give him another chance.
Exactly spot on .

Those running their mouths about Dak having leverage fall into the following categories :

1. Todd France / Dak's PR TEAM : This is business and big money at play . I guarantee you several "posters" here are on France/Chokota payroll . Their job is to spread "fear" on no, we cant win without poor Dakky poo

2. Blind Homers

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's a bit harsh. I was thinking at least a Honda Prius.

But on the real though, in today's NFL doesn't every "above-average" Qb have leverage on NFL teams?

The demand is high and the supply is the lowest quality I've seen in years.

2 words.....Kirk Cousins
Well, whatever car Dak is, he has one really bad wheel bearing that can go out at any time.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Chargers let Brees become a FA and leave at age of 25\26.

But obviously no one wants to do that. Most would not give a no trade clause ensuring they have an out while still under contract. Only idiots give away the farm.
He had a torn labrum requiring surgery, a damaged rotator cuff, and had dislocated his shoulder. In addition, the Chargers had Philip Rivers on the roster going into his second season. They still offered Brees a five year deal.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The FO gave Dak a terrible contract, giving him a no-trade clause. Now the only way out is to let him walk and get nothing in return. He has never played commensurate to his salary, which would require him winning championships. So I say let him walk since that's the FO's only other option to giving him an extension. If the FO doesn't have the fortitude to follow through by doing this, then yes, he has all the leverage.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We all have been hanging out at the toilet bowl watching Chokota punt every time it counts . Name 1 signature win ? roll out the Tampa Bay game 8-9 ..... :laugh:
Hey, that's all his fans have. Did you know he beat Brady so bad that he had to retire! That has to mean something, I guess. lmao

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He had a torn labrum requiring surgery, a damaged rotator cuff, and had dislocated his shoulder. In addition, the Chargers had Philip Rivers on the roster going into his second season. They still offered Brees a five year deal.
Yes, they made poor player evaluation and had made up their mind to move on from a guy who had started to show signs of becoming a top tier QB. Thus the drafting of Rivers.

We are the opposite. We make poor player evaluations and refuse to move on from players who have shown they aren't an answer.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes, they made poor player evaluation and had made up their mind to move on from a guy who had started to show signs of becoming a top tier QB. Thus the drafting of Rivers.

We are the opposite. We make poor player evaluations and refuse to move on from players who have shown they aren't an answer.
Right or wrong at least the Chargers had a plan. GM Jethro does not have one.