What is Romo's record against winning teams?

rangers71

Reaction score
I love the idiots who say Romo is a loser and can't win bg games so it makes him a terrible quarterback. I guess in today's NFL there are only 6 good quarterbacks because there are only 6 that have won the Super Bowl. Take oout Manning and we are down to 5. Man what are the Charegers thinking by running Rivers out there every week? I mean he hasn't won anything so I guess he is a freaking loser and they should go with Billy Volek. Oh but wait he can't be that good because he couldn't beat out Steve Mcnair at Tennesee who obviously is a loser because he isn't smart enough to throw the ball into the end zone on the last play of the game in the Super Bowl allowing his reciever to get tackled at the one foot line. Hell I guess Norv should just start throwing games because they could draft Andrew Luck who is the next great QB because Stanford has won the last 3 BCS championships. Oh wait they haven't eve won the Pac 10 championship so he sucks too.

shockandroll

Reaction score
STSINAZ;4113577 said:
HOSTILE...please...you have probably been wrong 50 times on this forum since you started...you pointing out a few things about me is a joke...so i guess you think that romo is in the same universe as troy? is that why you jumped in? who in their right mind would compare the two? i just cant believe someone has...am i in the twilight zone right now? I think I am....romo is who he is....very average when you look at it all....i am done with this subject...cant believe people actually kept going with it! romo=poor mans danny white.....aikman=roger....get it...thats what it is...reality

Denial works well for you. Nobody is comparing Romo to Troy except you, imo. People are just pointing out that when Aikman's team was not the best in the NFL, he did not win. Troy was clearly a better QB than Romo, but Romo is much better than average. Team wins and losses are not just on the QB.

What happened to Troy's leadership the first two games Emmitt sat out? Oh yeah, he lost both games. What happened when Irvin had to retire? Troy lost. As great as Troy was, he needed a great team to win in the playoffs.

gbrittain

Reaction score
rangers71;4113602 said:
I love the idiots who say Romo is a loser and can't win bg games so it makes him a terrible quarterback. I guess in today's NFL there are only 6 good quarterbacks because there are only 6 that have won the Super Bowl. Take oout Manning and we are down to 5. Man what are the Charegers thinking by running Rivers out there every week? I mean he hasn't won anything so I guess he is a freaking loser and they should go with Billy Volek. Oh but wait he can't be that good because he couldn't beat out Steve Mcnair at Tennesee who obviously is a loser because he isn't smart enough to throw the ball into the end zone on the last play of the game in the Super Bowl allowing his reciever to get tackled at the one foot line. Hell I guess Norv should just start throwing games because they could draft Andrew Luck who is the next great QB because Stanford has won the last 3 BCS championships. Oh wait they haven't eve won the Pac 10 championship so he sucks too.

The absurdity of it all is that apparently all Dallas needs to do is to get rid of Romo and bring in not just a HOF caliber QB but one who can win Super Bowls.

A Marino, Fouts, Tarketon, or Moon won't do! :laugh2:

Sounds easy to me. While we are at it we should go ahead and get another Demarcus Ware to play on the other side.

How about ordering up another Emmitt Smith too...that would be nice.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
STSINAZ;4113577 said:
HOSTILE...please...you have probably been wrong 50 times on this forum since you started...you pointing out a few things about me is a joke...
No, you pointing a self righteous finger ("no clue about football," remember) at anyone is the joke. I will never stop laughing at you huddling in your office telling us something was happening and giving us a timeline. Has that 5 minutes happened yet?

so i guess you think that romo is in the same universe as troy? is that why you jumped in? who in their right mind would compare the two? i just cant believe someone has...am i in the twilight zone right now? I think I am....romo is who he is....very average when you look at it all....i am done with this subject...cant believe people actually kept going with it! romo=poor mans danny white.....aikman=roger....get it...thats what it is...reality
I guess if you wanted to know this you could read my posts about it rather than to assume something because your feelings are hurt and miss the mark badly. My commentary had nothing to do with Romo or Aikman.

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
Somewhat related, since it goes to Romo's ability win games:

From the media release posted in another thread:

Among quarterbacks with at least 30 career road starts who started
their career in the Super Bowl era, Romo owns the third-best road
winning percentage:

Player Winning % Record

Joe Montana .753 61-20
Tom Brady .694 50-22
Tony Romo .645 20-11
Roger Staubach .655 36-19

According to my math though, Romo is just behind Staubach, not just ahead... but hey, the company he keeps is impressive!

DFWJC

Reaction score
jimnabby;4112608 said:
You know, you can do your own research.

Also, I don't quite know what your point is. All QBs and teams would have a better record against bad teams than against good ones, right?

Oh what the hell, here are the numbers. This is for every game Tony's started through last season. Teams are classed as winning or losing based on their record in non-Cowboys games (so if we beat a team that finishes 8-8, they went 8-7 in their other games and fall on the "winners" side). Four games are dropped out - we split with an 8-8 WAS in 2008 and an 8-8 PHI in 2007.

All regular season starts:
vs. Winners: 15-11, 0.577 Win %
vs. Losers: 22-8, 0.733

All starts, including postseason:
vs. Winners: 16-14, 0.533 Win %
vs. Losers: 22-8, 0.733

All reg. season starts through 2009 (skipping the abomination that was last season):
vs. Winners: 15-10, 0.600
vs. Losers: 21-5, 0.808

All starts through 2009, including postseason:
vs. Winners: 16-13, 0.551
vs. Losers: 21-5, 0.808

So, the Romo-led Cowboys have dominated bad teams and more than held their own with good teams. Again, did you expect anything different, given their overall 40-24 record?
crickets................:laugh2:

LOBO7

Reaction score
shockandroll;4112947 said:
Brilliant post. You're obviously a Romo lover and can't admit he's not perfect, lol. The key thing you posted is just like the pick against the Jets, time is running out, the defense smells blood and of course Dez was hurt. Stupid decision by Romo to throw to Dez but the odds greatly increase for him to fail in that situation.

The best QB's have also failed in that situation, Manning ended his last SB with a pick if memory serves. Romo did not lose the lead in the 4th if memory serves there as well.

I think our ST's and defense have a worse track record in the "clutch" than Romo does the last 6 years.

Perfect, thats exactly right. Romo gives the team a chance almost every game. Every QB will drop one now and then. None of them are undefeated.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
burmafrd;4115107 said:

I'll be the first to admit maybe I personally overreacted to Sunday night's disaster. However, that last paragraph is pretty telling in that he does seem to be getting worse not better late in close games. I think we all just see a guy who tantalizes us with such potential that it's a huge letdown when he makes bonehead decisions. All Cowboys fans want him to succeed I am sure, it's simply a case of wanting better from him especially in big games.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
STSINAZ;4112504 said:
lets have it and then post the record against losing teams....will tell you all you need to know. i dont care about his stats...quarterbacks are supposed to win...however you need to do that...he is either a winner or a loser...right now he is not a winner...bottom line...will he get over the hump...i dont know...

How bout looking at the team's record against teams with winning records.

How bout looking at how the defense has played against top ranked offenses.

How bout looking at how special teams have played against top teams.

You do realize it is a team sport? If our special teams didnt let the punt get blocked we win the game. You do see how Ws and Ls can be misleading without looking at how each unit performed overall. Now if the defense played great and special teams played great and the offense sucked, then you can look at the QB. But even then, was the ints off tipped passes that was not his fault, was the line not giving the QB time to throw, were recievers running the wrong route?

You do realize it is much more complicated than 1 person out of 45 getting all the blame or all the glory, right?

shockandroll

Reaction score
Since Troy was brought into this, let's let him settle it for us. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ets-in-first-place?module=HP11_headline_stack

Former Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman has joined the debate over Tony Romo's performancein last Sunday's Cowboys-Jets game, and the three-time Super Bowl winner camedown on the side of-- you guessed it -- the current Cowboys quarterback.

"Here’s the problem I have with theway people react to Tony: Tony’s the reason why the expectations are what they are," Aikman told Dallas' KTCK AMon Thursday, via the DallasMorning News.

"And if it weren’t for him, there would be no expectations. Yet when he plays greatthrough three and a half quarters, the reason they’re in the game or leadingthe game is because Tony’s playing really great. And then you have a bad play that hurts your team, and they act like he’s the reason they lost. They don’t remember, 'No, he’s the reason we were beating the team that we really had noexpectations of beating.'"

Romo looked awful in the fourth quarter ofthe Jets game, fumbling on New York's 2-yard line and throwing an easyinterception to Darrelle Revis to letthe Jets steal a come-from-behind win after trailing by 14 points in the fourthquarter.

In the days since, several analystsin the media have piled on, while a few have agreed with Aikman thatRomo is still one of the team's best players.
"I know a lot of people who watchedthe game, and even Tony himself, felt really good about the way he’dplayed," Aikman said. "And then he just made a couple of mistakes.That happens. I think when it happens for a quarterback, you just move on andget ready for the next game."

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
shockandroll;4115775 said:
Since Troy was brought into this, let's let him settle it for us. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ets-in-first-place?module=HP11_headline_stack

Former Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman has joined the debate over Tony Romo's performancein last Sunday's Cowboys-Jets game, and the three-time Super Bowl winner camedown on the side of-- you guessed it -- the current Cowboys quarterback.

"Here’s the problem I have with theway people react to Tony: Tony’s the reason why the expectations are what they are," Aikman told Dallas' KTCK AMon Thursday, via the DallasMorning News.

"And if it weren’t for him, there would be no expectations. Yet when he plays greatthrough three and a half quarters, the reason they’re in the game or leadingthe game is because Tony’s playing really great. And then you have a bad play that hurts your team, and they act like he’s the reason they lost. They don’t remember, 'No, he’s the reason we were beating the team that we really had noexpectations of beating.'"

Romo looked awful in the fourth quarter ofthe Jets game, fumbling on New York's 2-yard line and throwing an easyinterception to Darrelle Revis to letthe Jets steal a come-from-behind win after trailing by 14 points in the fourthquarter.

In the days since, several analystsin the media have piled on, while a few have agreed with Aikman thatRomo is still one of the team's best players.
"I know a lot of people who watchedthe game, and even Tony himself, felt really good about the way he’dplayed," Aikman said. "And then he just made a couple of mistakes.That happens. I think when it happens for a quarterback, you just move on andget ready for the next game."

HOW DARE YOU TARNISH TEH LASTING IMAGE OF OUR HEROES BY MAKING THEM SEEM LIKE THEY SUPPORT A CHOKERD LIKE ROMOED!!!1

Calvin_%26_Hobbes_-_Calvin.png

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
shockandroll;4115775 said:
"Yet when he plays greatthrough three and a half quarters, the reason they’re in the game or leadingthe game is because Tony’s playing really great. And then you have a bad play that hurts your team, and they act like he’s the reason they lost. They don’t remember, 'No, he’s the reason we were beating the team that we really had noexpectations of beating.'"

People really don't seem to get this part of what Aikman is saying. They just implode when Romo makes a mistake, but don't give any credit to the fact that he's one of the main reasons we're in a position where a mistake counts.

I guess it would almost be better for him if he was just a middle of the pack or mediocre quarterback. We wouldn't be in games, there wouldn't be any expectation for winning or expectations of competing and all of us would be still eagerly hoping the Cowboys would stumble upon the next Aikman.

Romo's a top-10 QB in this league because he can put us in position to win. That certainly doesn't mean we're always going to win, but I'll take a QB who can give us that chance than one who gives us no chance.

TheDoctor

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I kind of wish Romo would get traded to another team just so Cowboy fans will realize that maybe...JUST maybe he was never the fault all along.

shockandroll

Reaction score
gimmesix;4115897 said:
People really don't seem to get this part of what Aikman is saying. They just implode when Romo makes a mistake, but don't give any credit to the fact that he's one of the main reasons we're in a position where a mistake counts.

I guess it would almost be better for him if he was just a middle of the pack or mediocre quarterback. We wouldn't be in games, there wouldn't be any expectation for winning or expectations of competing and all of us would be still eagerly hoping the Cowboys would stumble upon the next Aikman.

Romo's a top-10 QB in this league because he can put us in position to win. That certainly doesn't mean we're always going to win, but I'll take a QB who can give us that chance than one who gives us no chance.

No doubt. Can you imagine if our defense and ST's played as good as Romo against the Jets? I think our D was improved from last year and considering the banged up corners did great. But the Jets are not supposed to be a great offensive team, they are a great defensive team and Romo carved them up.

If our defense played at Romo's level, they'd have 3 INT's, 4 FF's and have only allowed 10 points.

The overwhelming knock on Romo continues to be he is not good enough to overcome the rest of the teams deficiencies, imo. He's certainly had his share of crappy games, but imagine if we had a Ravens defense who shut other teams down and got the ball back when Romo did make a mistake?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheDoctor;4115908 said:
I hate to say it but I kind of wish Romo would get traded to another team just so Cowboy fans will realize that maybe...JUST maybe he was never the fault all along.
Bite your tongue. I know what you are saying, but don't let fools control the thinking.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
shockandroll;4115981 said:
No doubt. Can you imagine if our defense and ST's played as good as Romo against the Jets? I think our D was improved from last year and considering the banged up corners did great. But the Jets are not supposed to be a great offensive team, they are a great defensive team and Romo carved them up.

If our defense played at Romo's level, they'd have 3 INT's, 4 FF's and have only allowed 10 points.

The overwhelming knock on Romo continues to be he is not good enough to overcome the rest of the teams deficiencies, imo. He's certainly had his share of crappy games, but imagine if we had a Ravens defense who shut other teams down and got the ball back when Romo did make a mistake?

Oh, wouldn't that be so nice if DeMarcus Ware could tell Romo, "Just give us ten points" like Ray Lewis has allegedly told his offense over the years?

We'd be a dynasty by now. And that's why ROFLsberger isn't impressive. We know it's all about his defense. He's a schmuck.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
shockandroll;4115981 said:
He's certainly had his share of crappy games, but imagine if we had a Ravens defense who shut other teams down and got the ball back when Romo did make a mistake?

IMO, Romo would make less mistakes with that kind of defense because he wouldn't need to take as many risks, especially at the end of games.

However, I thought our defense was fine against the Jets. Ten points came off turnovers, with seven directly attributed to the blocked punt. To me, that's the biggest mistake Dallas had Sunday because it was simply a missed assignment.