CFZ What is the culture and identity of our team?

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Break Jalen Hurts ribs! But doing it legally. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Championship!

How's that for culture and identity?
plated-hand.gif

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the team’s culture and identity is a great question. The fact that it is not easily identifiable concerns me.

When I think on this for a while, the only thing I can come up with is simple: The culture and identity of this team is essentially Micah Parsons. Without him, they have no chance. With him and everyone else playing at a high level, they can compete with anyone.

I know that’s somewhat lame but it’s hard to pin this team down. People saying we’re a running team who needs to control the clock are stuck in 2014. That’s not this team anymore.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Two things I heard lately that made me think about this - What is the culture and identity of this Cowboys Team?

I’m listening to the Audible book Gridiron Genius by Michael Lombardi where the former 30-year GM and Scout shares his stories working with Belichick, Al Davis, Bill Walsh, and others who created dynasties and winning franchises. In his chapter on Bill Walsh, he spells it out that leadership and culture change from the Head Coach is what matters the most instead of X’s and O’s or personality style. He uses the example of many ex-49ers coaches from George Siefert to Marty Mornhinwig who bombed after their 49ers careers because Owners and GMs wanted the WCO thinking that was the cure and no one gave Walsh the credit for changing the culture of the 49ers franchise. He told some horror stories of how bad the 49ers were in the 1970s, and some of the awful decisions they made, and how people easily forget what type of disaster Walsh inherited.

I’m not old enough to have seen the Landry culture change, but I did see the Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells versions, the two coaches I respect most, and Lombardi is right. It was a culture change more than anything that these men put into the team to make them successful again. They both inherited BAD franchises. And by the way, one of his other stories is being a consultant for the Rams one summer because Art Modell would not release him from his Brown’s contract. He wrote up a recommendation for Head Coach hiring. One section was about who he considered the most promising current assistant coaches and it’s a list of men who would go on to successful head coaching careers such as Andy Reid, Jon Gruden, Nick Saban. All except for one name which was Chan Gailey. But he dismissed it by saying there are many coaches who will fail in the Jerry Jones culture.

The other thing I listened to was the podcast Hangin’ With The Boys with Nate Newton and Jesse Holly. Their single question today was “What is the identity of this team?” Call him the big clown all you want, but Newton knows what makes a winning franchise. His complaint was the Cowboys were talking up a physical defense and a running offense and how they would continue this when Dak came back, but it’s like they almost forgot and Kellen/Dak are once again off to the races throwing the ball over and over. Both of the guys talked about what most of the fans probably feel which is this is a team that is always bogged down by inconsistency. We see them demolish a team like Minnesota and then choke to a Green Bay, or even almost blow it against the Giants who are missing several key starters.

They compare this team to Philly, especially with both teams playing Green Bay, and how Philly is able to shut down when necessary. Philly also has a questionable run defense but unlike our team, have managed to come through and close out the game when needed. Big Nate in particular is adamant that you are not a championship team unless you can do that. They asked if we are a team that other teams fear to play in the tourney and the consensus was no one is afraid. I also saw the same question asked on the ESPN morning show and they had the same opinion. San Francisco and Philadelphia are the picks for everyone, and no one thinks this team has improved enough to not be exposed once again in the playoffs by the 49ers.

So what is our team’s culture and/or identity? It’s hard to say that we are a physical team, a disciplined team or a consistent team. If the Cowboys beat the Eagles and Titans I may believe they are turning a corner that has stopped them for a long time now, but I’m still not sure I trust this team to go further than one round. I also agree with Lombardi’s take that the “Jerry Jones Culture” may doom us forever. Hollywood, overrate, media pandering, undermining, annointed coordinators, and the player’s buddy, not boss.

off to the races, how? game to game you have different GP and then in games especially with a lot of Penalties or team has weak backend, you exploit it or pass more..

we have strong run game but also a QB who can throw it when needed. we are 4-1, same as when rush was here, whats the complaint, what, the end of the GB game, maybe but NYG game 30 passes 38runs??

you cant just have the same GP every game and say we are "Just going to run it all game every game and succeed" doesn't work for the bears and our offense is MUCH improved since daks back, its balanced most games.

if you are playing behind the chains a lot, you have a lot of runs audibled to passes, get behind in games a few more passes, weak backend exploit it..the GP early on for NY was to expose their Backend and we got down and realized that it wasn't working early and their DL was pretty strong , we then got back to it in the 2nd half...

who cares about this alleged identity label, our Offense is far more explosive now and no need to run the ball 40 times game, every game. sure Moore needs to realize you need to lean on the run-in situations lie say GB when the defense starts to falter, maybe try to eat clock but in no way has this become Pass happy again.. that why i think OBJ is mistake, think about how much pressure Dak and Moore feel to get OBJ going in games, force the ball to him too much.

perspective,

4-1, scoring more points than the 4-1 stretch where we ran it more because Rush was limited.. why park your pass offense if its succeeding IE MN game? make zero sense.. No ones perfect but this defense faltered in the GB game or Daks 5-0 with top 5 offense and Ceedee lamb has become a true #1 , whats the problem.

Do Fans feel this NEED for an identoy..we paly strong defsne most games but need to clean up the run defsne, the offsne can do both equally an dgames will dictate the run /pass balance.,

Just win 4-1 close top 5-0 sicne daks return, says thats happenig..

this is what needs to be fixed Penatlys, that it we can beat anyone if we dont have 10-14 penaties..you can not pay agauint the beter teams with those penaltys..its chages the pay calls and makes iot much more dicut to finish drives..

blueblood70

Reaction score
That might be what you want the identity to be but it’s not what we do. At no stage this season have we controlled the clock and dominated time in possession.

IMO our offensive identity is all about creating imbalances. It seems like we’re always doing something whether it’s flexing out the RB, using multiple TE’s, play action, option reads or some other mechanism. Everything seems to be about finding a clever wrinkle that pushes/pulls on the defense to get a reliable look. This is in stark contrast to Garrett who never got cute, there was a few simple choices, you new what was coming (Witten Y-Option, Dez back shoulder, Murray/Zeke between the tackles, Beasley pivot/whip route), he’d just try and out execute.

Anyway, once we get a look we like we don’t let go of it. Instead, we play no huddle/hurry up offense trying to extract maximum value.

might want to look over to the other side, hard to win TOP and control anything when the RUN d is allows the other offense to have long drives and eat clock..its not our Run offense that creating many of those TOP clock imbalances. its the defense's, I know they've been teflon here, not allowed to be critical blame the offense as usual in Dallas, but go see those games 3-4 where they got ran over, umm TOP was lopsided mores on from our defense lack of ability to stop the run., period.. Our offense has been pretty balanced most games.. sorry but you dont park your run offense and plan to run it 40 times game every game no matter what, what kind of GP is that ? LOL 4-1 nearly 5-0 only reason we are not 5-0 is on the defense..

key to our playoff run is better run defense, limit penalty's to a under 6. penalties has killed this team's identity more often then not.,., we have a lot, a ton of one score games agent better teams or in the playoffs. all goes back to not being able to slow the run(see rams 18 game), and 14 penalty's in the 9er game i mean paying behind the chains effects play calls and severely hurts your chances, we basically gave that game away and only lost by 6

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Our identify is Micah. And Micah taking over the game is the formula. 9ers and Eagles don’t have that.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It seems to me that the culture is in a transitional phase, moving in the right direction towards a more "we ain't done crap yet" attitude and away from the "SB here we come" attitude after some early season success.

It's nice to not hear reports of defensive units naming themselves without having accomplished anything, and to not see the weekly fashion shots of players strutting across the tarmac in their fashion statement getups.

It's nice to read about the team seeming sincerely ticked off about losing instead of the "golly gee, we'll get em next time" generic crap.

Coaching style-wise I'd say we're trending towards more balance with a heaping helping of aggressiveness.

From my perch, this team comes across as having the best attitude of any team since Parcells, by a longshot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No team has a more pronounced and specific identity than the Dallas Cowboys because that is orchestrated by the owner.

This is America’s Team, champion of ratings and revenue, the two most important qualities to the owner.

The identity drifts down to the players who are all proud to be Dallas Cowboys.

Reaction score
Two things I heard lately that made me think about this - What is the culture and identity of this Cowboys Team?

I’m listening to the Audible book Gridiron Genius by Michael Lombardi where the former 30-year GM and Scout shares his stories working with Belichick, Al Davis, Bill Walsh, and others who created dynasties and winning franchises. In his chapter on Bill Walsh, he spells it out that leadership and culture change from the Head Coach is what matters the most instead of X’s and O’s or personality style. He uses the example of many ex-49ers coaches from George Siefert to Marty Mornhinwig who bombed after their 49ers careers because Owners and GMs wanted the WCO thinking that was the cure and no one gave Walsh the credit for changing the culture of the 49ers franchise. He told some horror stories of how bad the 49ers were in the 1970s, and some of the awful decisions they made, and how people easily forget what type of disaster Walsh inherited.

I’m not old enough to have seen the Landry culture change, but I did see the Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells versions, the two coaches I respect most, and Lombardi is right. It was a culture change more than anything that these men put into the team to make them successful again. They both inherited BAD franchises. And by the way, one of his other stories is being a consultant for the Rams one summer because Art Modell would not release him from his Brown’s contract. He wrote up a recommendation for Head Coach hiring. One section was about who he considered the most promising current assistant coaches and it’s a list of men who would go on to successful head coaching careers such as Andy Reid, Jon Gruden, Nick Saban. All except for one name which was Chan Gailey. But he dismissed it by saying there are many coaches who will fail in the Jerry Jones culture.

The other thing I listened to was the podcast Hangin’ With The Boys with Nate Newton and Jesse Holly. Their single question today was “What is the identity of this team?” Call him the big clown all you want, but Newton knows what makes a winning franchise. His complaint was the Cowboys were talking up a physical defense and a running offense and how they would continue this when Dak came back, but it’s like they almost forgot and Kellen/Dak are once again off to the races throwing the ball over and over. Both of the guys talked about what most of the fans probably feel which is this is a team that is always bogged down by inconsistency. We see them demolish a team like Minnesota and then choke to a Green Bay, or even almost blow it against the Giants who are missing several key starters.

They compare this team to Philly, especially with both teams playing Green Bay, and how Philly is able to shut down when necessary. Philly also has a questionable run defense but unlike our team, have managed to come through and close out the game when needed. Big Nate in particular is adamant that you are not a championship team unless you can do that. They asked if we are a team that other teams fear to play in the tourney and the consensus was no one is afraid. I also saw the same question asked on the ESPN morning show and they had the same opinion. San Francisco and Philadelphia are the picks for everyone, and no one thinks this team has improved enough to not be exposed once again in the playoffs by the 49ers.

So what is our team’s culture and/or identity? It’s hard to say that we are a physical team, a disciplined team or a consistent team. If the Cowboys beat the Eagles and Titans I may believe they are turning a corner that has stopped them for a long time now, but I’m still not sure I trust this team to go further than one round. I also agree with Lombardi’s take that the “Jerry Jones Culture” may doom us forever. Hollywood, overrate, media pandering, undermining, annointed coordinators, and the player’s buddy, not boss.
Relentless defense.
Strong running game. Play action off of that.

That's it.

Reaction score
No team has a more pronounced and specific identity than the Dallas Cowboys because that is orchestrated by the owner.

This is America’s Team, champion of ratings and revenue, the two most important qualities to the owner.

That's off the field, marketing, mumbo jumbo. Stuff like selling jerseys doesn't actually win games. I'm not interested in an identity that lines Jerry's pockets.

I have zero interest in that

Reaction score
One of Lombardi’s other key points on great Head Coaches is no matter how complex the issue, they knew how to communicate it to the players. I think I failed that one here.

But he did have a great piece on how each legendary coach had a specific style - Parcells and his off-beat metaphors, Belichick and his video replays on what happens if you choose to ignore what we’re telling you - but same message, and always command the rooms.
This is the complication in Dallas. A head coach can't truly due his job without Jerry/Stephen sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. It is why Parcells quit and, to a lesser extent, Jimmy too

Reaction score

Nate Newton is correct.

Nobody fears playing Dallas in the playoffs. In fact, the Eagles and 49ers would relish it.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
No identity for this team yet.
Postseason wins and playoff success creates your identity. Not something this team has on its resume’ at this point

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Pass pass pass pass run pass pass penalty penalty penalty pass run run pass penalty penalty flag go for it on 4th down

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that as long as Jerry is leading this team and setting the tone and not a strong head coach, it will be difficult for this team to have post season success.
Yep, this aparent obsession to be entertaining, maybe resulting in our going to a pass orientated game rather than run first (though the run appears to suit the roster), coupled with the overall propensity to keep us in contention (over the all-in approach).
I can understand those that say Jerry is more interested in money than rings.

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yep, this aparent obsession to be entertaining, maybe resulting in our going to a pass orientated game rather than run first (which appears to suit tge roster, coupled with the overall propensity to keep us in contention (over the all-in approach).
I can understand those that say Jerry is more interested in money than rings.
This Team's personality takes on the face of the Franchise which is Jerry.
I would rather that personality be of a strong tough minded coach like Jimmy or Parcells.
That is more likely to result in a strong post season run.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This Team's personality takes on the face of the Franchise which is Jerry.
I would rather that personality be of a strong tough minded coach like Jimmy or Parcells.
That is more likely to result in a strong post season run.
Yep, and the continual interference: Gregory signing, Zeke snaps (no coach would of limited Tony's snaps last year), media interviews.
We just aren't football first..

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What is the culture and identity of this Cowboys Team?
The culture and many of the players, become just like the owner.
They prioritize money, attention, being glorified, being popular, big egos, overconfident.
They dont have a strong work ethic, they tend to talk alot, and think they can just show up and play,
and they will win.

They prefer the cake, which is all the above, but want the icing which is winning a SB, but they dont
want to work or sacrifice for it. Their true desire to win it all is secondary to money and glory.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sad but true. This is the core philosophy of this franchise starting at the top and filtering all the way down to the last member of the practice squad.

The already tough job of being the HC of America’s Team is made much harder by the need for that coach to be the hard taskmaster who can somehow demand and motivate excellence out of a team that is told they are special by its owner merely by having a star on their helmet. It’s the cultural baggage that must be overcome every season.