CZ POLL What is the max per year average contract amount you would offer Dak?

What is the max per year average contract amount you would offer Dak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Reaction score
What I don't get is how some people can be comfortable at, say, $36m but not, say, $41m.

What exactly do people think the team is going to do with that $5m? Are we worried about having enough money for a kicker and punter? Someone please answer this for me. Difference-making players make $10m minimum.

That's true, in a vacuum. But you're 1) forgetting middle tier players which a team is mostly comprised of. You could be talking the difference between bottom feeding talent-wise and middle-tier. Also keep in mind the salary cap, other contracts and there's 53 active players on the roster. That 5 million on top of savings somewhere else might allow you to drop a middle tier player for a difference maker, but if Dak is being paid that 41 million, the talent potential drops.

It's extremely short-sighted to say "Sign him to whatever he wants and thinks he can get." He's not a generational talent that transforms a team. He shouldn't be paid like one. We've had years of seeing that he needs talent around him.
He's a good QB, but he's not going to do it without money spent on the rest of the team too.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
if you say 37 mil or less, maybe even the 39 mil, you are saying for him to leave, because he wont sign for less than 37, probably wont sign
for 39.
46 % are saying let him leave.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The only choice acceptable on the list was ‘let him leave’ for me.

I would like Dak back but I don’t think he can pass a physical until later in the season. My guess is he starts the season on PUP. I don’t see a team offering him the money he wants this year. Let him be a free agent and come back with his best offer. It will be nothing. At that point, Jerry and Dak talk about a salary for the second half of the year. Dak is then a FA in 2022 with the promise of no tag.

Cowboys prepare as if Dak won’t be available for the first 8 games. Also, begin preparations for Dak leaving in 2022. Cowboys take BPA in draft. If it is Pitts, then so be it. If it is a QBS, then so be it. I think a rookie can lead a team with a lot of weapons. I don’t think I need a top QB if I have Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Pollard, Pitts?, Jarwin , and Schultz. Go get Dalton and/or Winston and let them compete.

Dak and Zeke had 5 years and couldn’t get it done. Time to move on.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Since we are playing with monopoly money, sure I'd pay Dak $40M a year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What I don't get is how some people can be comfortable at, say, $36m but not, say, $41m.

What exactly do people think the team is going to do with that $5m? Are we worried about having enough money for a kicker and punter? Someone please answer this for me. Difference-making players make $10m minimum.
I have to agree. It’s just talking points.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I voted 35 to 39. As that is the going rate it seems, other than Mahomes. There is no way around it. The tag pays him in that range.
Even though I think that is too much for any QB. but it is the way of the NFL for now. So I am ok with that. Not my money.

However, there is a part of me that says, let him walk, get a comp pick, though a lowly 3rd. Draft a QB. But in the long run, would the team be better off. No one really knows, it is a gamble either way. But for 35 to 39 range and if a low cap hit the 1st few years. They can fix the defense, and Dak wins. So that is more known, than a rookie QB.

I am really just to the point, get it resolved one way or the other.
My thoughts exactly

Turk

Reaction score
Well run teams decide how much they are going to spend and stick to it. You try and say give me more or I will leave and they say 'Goodbye'

So those that keep bleating pay whatever it takes are morons.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Im not a fan of giving Dak 40 million , but that will be a bargain in just a few years

That's one point, which I and others have made before. For this team to compete for a SB, the defense has to get much better. Will a couple of rookies and a couple of free agents do that? And the cap this year is down, but what about next year? After months and months of Covid vaccines, you'd expect revenues to soar, because of the pent up demand for NFL football. Think about the post-WWII boom, pent up demand for housing, cars, clothes, even things like sugar and meat causes a boom like never seen since the "Roaring 20's", but that was a fictitious boom in a lot of ways, people and companies borrowing money they didn't have in hopes of making a killing in the market. The post WWII boom filled a real demand.

So suffer this year with Dak at $40 mil and the years after it could be much less painful in the years to come.

Of course Dak could fall on his face, or get hurt again, but that's an unknown. Depends on how much risk you want to take...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So I could choose $39 mil and it's okay, but choose $40 mil and it's not?

Gee, $1 million goes a long way these days still!

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Don't forget 20-point halftime deficits.
Also dont forget how did the defense played those first five games Dak started in 2020. The worst start in Cowboys history (Dak doesn't play on the defense).

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you suffer a catastrophic leg injury this man will cap your long term extension at 35 million a year.

He's not budging off that number.
I'm not saying he's worth it but the market is what it is. He'll likely get more.

Status
Not open for further replies.