CZ POLL What is the max per year average contract amount you would offer Dak?

What is the max per year average contract amount you would offer Dak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
If he can play and is healthy and a top 10 qb this year I'd give him around 37 per next offseason

plymkr

Reaction score
A CowboysZone member should volunteer-and-tweet Tad about the poll here and set him off. I would do it myself but I am not on Twitter. :laugh:
Lol, I would love to see Tad's reaction to this. Sometimes I wonder if he's a member of this board and is reading all this. I think Skip Bayless is.

plymkr

Reaction score
Need to run those numbers over the next 3-4 years...or the length of Dak's expected contract term.
The numbers are much lower...especially Mahomes'
You know this is a good point. The report said Dak wanted to be paid "close to Mahomes". We interpret that as he wants 44 million. Mahomes contract is very back loaded.

So the question is does Dak demand to be in par with Mahomes first 5 years, which is a little more team friendly, or the last 5 years, which is back loaded and not team friendly. Or does Dak want to be on par with Mahomes APY.

But if you take Mahomes first 5 years, it's a fairly reasonable contract, from what I've read about it.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
That's more about the insane QB market where each contract is higher than the previous one. Doesn't make sense to me because not all starting QBs are created equal, but that's how it has been going for years now. Whoever is next line to get paid will get even more because teams are paying the best guy they have like he's the best guy in the league.

The only outlier has been Mahomes, but a few contracts from now the next guy will be approaching his numbers. Something has to give at some point. These contracts are team killers and few, if any, QBs can overcome the deficiencies around them (created by their own contract).
It has been a few seasons as well, but remember Wentz/Goff getting just below that total and were in the 33-34 range. Even those were team killing contracts, so not sure why Dak is "due" so to speak but do understand the QB contract inflation going on and needing to overpay to keep your own. That's where I range him just more from precedent/fairness as he is better than those two but not better than Wilson. Watson got more than Wilson too so it's happened since, etc. and likely going to happen again when they renew Allen in BUF.

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'd rather slightly overpay than let an above average at worst QB1 leave and potentially have nothing for years.

Kills me that people assume his ankle is gonna be just fine....Not a problem. :rolleyes:

Reality is.....nobody knows. Not even Dak. So why give him a salary cap crippling deal...for a player that you don't know what to expect?

Face it....he hasn't won squat....hasn't proven he is a winner. Hasn't proven he is worth 40 million a year. I'd let him walk.....I seriously doubt anyone would sign him long term. Not for the money he is asking for....and if he left....I doubt he makes that team better.

As far as I'm concerned....the media has been pushing this to see America's team fail. It's time to see the situation for what it is...and move on....find a real QB like Zack Wilson....and do what we have to do to secure the #2 pick.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Pardon me. Is it very populated on Mars?
Asking for a friend!

So my opinion gets a "way out there reference" in the form of a question.
hmmm....gotta diss or belittle varying / different opinions.
Nothing stated was untrue.
so
Tell your friend that him and Dak (Mr. respect) can pound sand.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
If we are playing market vs player rating etc I agreed with 35-39. If you say what’s the difference between that snd 40 it’s because he doesn’t deserve 40. He deserves about 36-37 in my book for being mid to low Top 10. Not sure why people think market for that is 40. As much as the market grows it also stagnates and owners will sit on their hands when the market gets too high. They’ve already seen the cap can go down. Does no one remember when RBs were getting paid? Ended quick

RoboQB

Reaction score
If the rules to this game match "The Price is Right", I bid one dollar.

Qcard

Reaction score
A CowboysZone member should volunteer-and-tweet Tad about the poll here and set him off. I would do it myself but I am not on Twitter. :laugh:
Will 39 posters leave if Prescott signs long term contract?:muttley:

RoboQB

Reaction score
Will 39 posters leave if Prescott signs long term contract?:muttley:

Only if you change your name to cancelQ... lol.
We'd all be bored to death in less than a week if everyone felt the same
about a player, a team, a sport, etc.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Why would I want my bonus contingent on dragging a garbage defense along for the ride?

Both of Dak's playoff losses came when the opponent scored 30+. The Cowboys have never won a playoff game when the opponent scored 30+.
your logic and analysis is flawed.
using that type logic means this last season GB, Rams , NO, Wash,KC, Pitt, all had garbage defenses, as they allowed 30 + in a playoff game and lost.
people blame the dallas defense, but the Dallas offense simply did not score enough to expect to win.

The 2016 game with GB was the exception, as Dallas did score 31.
But they only scored 3 in 1st , and 0 in the 3rd qtr! what if they had scored 6 in the first, and 3 in the 3rd? then GB could not have won with last second FG.

I looked at playoff scores, and teams that win score 30+ unless they are playing a weak offensive team then they dont need to score that much to win.

TB scored 30+ in all their playoff games and SB, so I guess all their opponents have a garbage defense like Dallas?

Bottom line is their is more to winning playoff games than just good or bad defense or offense. There are other factors.

catiii

Reaction score
Nyet! Do svidaniya Dak! NO..Buh Bye! That's my answer.

Flamma

Reaction score
The reason I said let him leave is only because Dallas isn't a very good team. A team that isn't very good and not a lot of cap space. So paying out a huge contract to any quarterback right now is pointless to me.

plymkr

Reaction score
your logic and analysis is flawed.
using that type logic means this last season GB, Rams , NO, Wash,KC, Pitt, all had garbage defenses, as they allowed 30 + in a playoff game and lost.

people blame the dallas defense, but the Dallas offense simply did not score enough to expect to win.

The 2016 game with GB was the exception, as Dallas did score 31.
But they only scored 3 in 1st , and 0 in the 3rd qtr! what if they had scored 6 in the first, and 3 in the 3rd? then GB could not have won with last second FG.

I looked at playoff scores, and teams that win score 30+ unless they are playing a weak offensive team then they dont need to score that much to win.

TB scored 30+ in all their playoff games and SB, so I guess all their opponents have a garbage defense like Dallas?

Bottom line is their is more to winning playoff games than just good or bad defense or offense. There are other factors.
I was on board with the Dallas philosophy of building the team to score points and then the defense can sit back and play with a lead. This season shattered that thinking for me and it also shattered the idea that we need a all pro at QB to win it all. Before Dak got hurt we still weren't getting it done against playoff teams due to our defense. I admit Dak played great but great QB play can not overcome a weak defense that can't stop anyone or get turnovers. This super bowl with Tampa Bay proved that even more. They were harassing Mahomes all night and Brady is the GOAT and all but he didn't play lights out. He played well but the defense won that game for TB.

What I don't get is how does the Cowboys front office not see this. We've had above average to great QB play from Romo and Prescott and still averaged 8-8 seasons. I know there are anti Romo fans and the anti Dak fans. Both of those QB's have played at a pro bowl level or at the top of the NFC QB levels. They've both had their share of choke jobs and bad games but overall if you think we have had bad QB play from Romo and Prescott than you've seriously got an agenda against both of them or one of them. How Jerry and Jerry jr don't see this is the maddening part for me. We've had good to great QB play and poor defenses for 15 years now and we've been an average team. Maybe time to change philosophies.

When Dallas won it's first super bowl in the early 90's we had the #1 defense in the league. People don't give the respect that the Bills deserve. The K-gun offense was pretty explosive and we shut them down. We got what, 7 turnovers in that '92 super bowl. In the 93 super bowl we were losing at half time till Leon Lett stripped the ball from Thurman Thomas and James "Drive By" Washington (I still love his nickname) took it back for a TD. Then we got the momentum and Emmitt destroyed them. But again the defense got the turnover and it was ball game from then on. I won't even get to how the defense shut down Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Ricky Watters, Brent Jones and Steve Young to get to the super bowls.

My point is, what in the world is Jerry not seeing. He saw the winning formula and has stubbornly moved away from it. Defense wins championships.

I like Dak as a person, as a player, I feel he's a top 4-7 QB. I am not anti Dak. What I feel needs to happen now and it wont happen if we make this signing, especially at 44 million APY, is we need a philosophy change. We need to win in the trenches.

I may be wrong and I hope I am but I don't think we can fix the trenches with just the draft, unless we hit every single pick. So I'm scared we'll make this signing and put the whole team on Dak's shoulders and have a sorry, soft, spineless defense and then complain that Dak can't get us to the playoffs, or win in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.