What is the plan to upgrade this roster?

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
Here is the plan....Pray!!!!!
A5pkFPX.png

RS12

Reaction score
What is the plan to upgrade this roster?

Osmosis.

RoboQB

Reaction score
He was a very important player for the Cowboys but the point I’m making is you build great teams through the draft. One player doesn’t make a great team or a great unit it takes several players. Haley only put up 10 sacks his first two seasons with the Cowboys but he was very disruptive which opened up our pass rush. Having to account for him gave us a fierce pass rush. We had a number of players that put up sacks. I’m not one of those who believes we would have never won a Super Bowl without Charles Haley.

SF ended up winning the Super Bowl in 94 without him and we were more talented than they were. No question Haley made us even better but what made those great teams was the great drafts we had. Ware put up a lot more sacks than Charles Haley ever did but we had very few good things because we didn’t have many good players around him.

Hey, bring it up with Coach Johnson. We needed a legit pass rusher to reach the top, so Jimmy went out and got one.
The rest is history.

You should be tarred and feathered for bringing up that SF Super Bowl. How dare you kick the dust
off that painful memory.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Hey, bring it up with Coach Johnson. We needed a legit pass rusher to reach the top, so Jimmy went out and got one.
The rest is history.

You should be tarred and feathered for bringing up that SF Super Bowl. How dare you kick the dust
off that painful memory.

Jimmy gave Haley a lot of credit as did Jerry but I’ve never heard either one of them say the Cowboys wouldn’t have won any of those Super Bowls without Haley. I’m not saying they never said it, I’m saying I never heard them say it. Haley only put up 3.5 sacks in 6 playoff games and 3 SB’s for the Cowboys. The San Francisco loss in the NFC title game in 94 showed that it takes a total team effort to win. Turnovers killed us in that game.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Jimmy gave Haley a lot of credit as did Jerry but I’ve never heard either one of them say the Cowboys wouldn’t have won any of those Super Bowls without Haley. I’m not saying they never said it, I’m saying I never heard them say it. Haley only put up 3.5 sacks in 6 playoff games and 3 SB’s for the Cowboys. The San Francisco loss in the NFC title game in 94 showed that it takes a total team effort to win. Turnovers killed us in that game.

Wow. I can't believe you've never heard that. I think both of them have said it over the years.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
One of the curious aspects of this offseason so far is that it is not very clear what this FO’s strategy is to upgrade this roster in areas that were clearly problems last year. I’m sure it will be much clearer by late April.

I like the idea of not overpaying for high priced mediocre talent as many teams seem to have done this offseason. I like putting more emphasis on having a quality draft. But if there are no FAs signed that can help this team now, it puts enormous pressure on the draft having immediate impact. That’s not impossible, but it puts all eggs in one basket.

And I’m not saying yet that this front office is blowing it, I’m just curious what they seem to be counting on to upgrade this roster.

Thoughts?
No-Planning.jpg

DandyDon52

Reaction score
But players take time to develop so we’re never really drastically improving.

By the time one crop is developed 5 other holes have popped up.

We have to stop skipping Free Agency. Plain and simple.

Dallas could go sign Suh, somehow land Earl Thomas, trade up for Roquan and it just changes EVERYTHING Instantly all good points the only problem with free agency is the Jones boys aren't you good at it so if you pick the wrong players and pay them a lot of money then you're kind of wasting time and money. Also I'm a tad you only use free agency do you get a team to the point that they can make a Super Bowl run until then you just used the draft so either the Cowboys think they're not a Superbowl team yet which would make sense not doing anything in free agency or they just don't want to use free agency at all

But they would rather have a team that flirts with mediocrity or can be a little better or worse then that then gets exposed in the playoffs because of lack of talent and a coach that forces them to win their 1 on 1s and does nothing schematically.
all good point s I think I came should wait until they're ready for a Super Bowl run to use free agency in a big way there's no point in spending money if you don't think you can make a spin a Super Bowl run

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One of the curious aspects of this offseason so far is that it is not very clear what this FO’s strategy is to upgrade this roster in areas that were clearly problems last year. I’m sure it will be much clearer by late April.

I like the idea of not overpaying for high priced mediocre talent as many teams seem to have done this offseason. I like putting more emphasis on having a quality draft. But if there are no FAs signed that can help this team now, it puts enormous pressure on the draft having immediate impact. That’s not impossible, but it puts all eggs in one basket.

And I’m not saying yet that this front office is blowing it, I’m just curious what they seem to be counting on to upgrade this roster.

Thoughts?
mr Haze---- there are many of us cowboys fans that are convinced the cowboy managment lives in their own dream world of fantasy....yes sir the draft is a crap shoot..but the draft should be focused on much heavier than free-agency...we all get that...but good teams are active in free agency for the very reasons you gave...to shore up a few postions because every year the average team loses approximately 20% of its roaster to free agency and cutting and retirement...and a team cannot use only the draft to bring in that quantity of reinforcments year after year...cowboy managment seems to not be very mature in their thought processes....cowboys use to spend too much money on old players and free agents and we went into a deep hole...but now the immature thinking is...ok we got in trouble in free agency before so we wont do anything hardly but get bottom feeder players we end up cutting and adding to our dead money

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wow. I can't believe you've never heard that. I think both of them have said it over the years.

If you have any quotes would love to see exactly what they said. I remember Jimmy saying Haley helped put the Cowboys over the top but don’t recall either him or Jerry saying definitely that we wouldn’t have won any of those SB’s without him. However Troy Aikman did say that but can’t post the link here. It’s a banned site.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it was Jimmy that said we couldn't spell super bowl until we got Haley.

RT killed the 94 championship game. Erik Williams was out due to the car wreck. At some point LA was at RT but then got injured.

Healthy EW and the Cowboys likely win the Super Bowl that year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I thought it was Jimmy that said we couldn't spell super bowl until we got Haley.

I believe he said something to that effect. It’s possible Jerry said we couldn’t have one any of those Super Bowls without Haley to justify putting him in the ROH.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We’re going to fill in cracks with second tier FAs and then draft the ten guys, sign som CFAs and go to war. It’s not a mystery.

We did lose a couple of players we wanted to keep, though. Those have to be replaced from somewhere.

Yep, I agree...............this is the most likely course of events.

Sign some lower tier guys like maybe Flemming, then hit the draft hard and hope for the best.:D

Blackspider214

Reaction score
We’re probably the best drafting team in the NFL. If anybody can bank on primarily building through the draft, it’s us. We don’t spend big in FA because we draft so well and have to spend our cap space to resign our own guys. We have 10 picks. We’re going to move up a couple times and get some difference makers.

Please tell me this is satire and a joke...Right??

This team is still bad at drafting. Don't let some years here and there of 1st round picks fool you. The depth on this team is atrocious and its all because of bad drafting. The entire 2015 draft, players that should start being the core of this team, was an entire waste. That was the Byron Jones, Gregory and Chaz Green draft. a DB that isn't good at anything. A guy who never sees the field and one of the worst lineman in the NFL.

Taco Charlton instead of TJ Watt was terrible. Escobar with a 2nd rd pick. Jaylon Smith was moronic. Trading up for Claiborne.

This team has zero vision in the draft or free agency. Hence why we never win a thing.

Oh, we actually hit on a mid round LB who was pretty good for us. What did we do? Let him walk and create a big void in the middle of the defense.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Plus holes in free agency so we don't feel we have to reach for any position. Then, to a degree, draft for ability agnostic of position.

This has been the MO for 5 years or so with some success (spare me the no super bowl wins argument please).

How people are still confused by the model the Cowboys are trying to institute is beyond me. They tell you exactly what their plan is. Then they've diligently gone out and tried to execute on it. Every offseason though there is the same complaints and misunderstandings and questions and disdain.

Blows my mind.

The organization isn't perfect. But their plan is pretty transparent.

In all honestly however, Steven Jones did admit that they had to make some changes to their approach in free agency. When asked, he said "we have to do better obviously". This was after the media pointed out to him that there are only like 2 players currently on the team from their free agency signings the last 5 years and how signings like Nolan Carrol and Stephen Pea were horrible, they both didn't even finish the season.

So many fans took that quote, "we have to do better obviously" and extrapolated that to they were going to change their strategy and be more aggressive in free agency.

So its not as clear cut as you say, it was more than reasonable to assume some changes in their approach was coming.

kskboys

Reaction score

RT killed the 94 championship game. Erik Williams was out due to the car wreck. At some point LA was at RT but then got injured.

Healthy EW and the Cowboys likely win the Super Bowl that year.
Close. LA had an ankle injury before the game, and struggled through 3 qtrs before finally being removed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uh...voodoo?

The Texas Rangers once had the real life version of that player. Julio Franco was into some weird stuff with a weird entourage that might have included a witch Doctor.

I guess it worked because he played on a major league team at age 49. I think he played in Japan in his mid-fifties.