What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Niners just got a 4th for a bust who can't stay on the field.
It is certainly a mystifying move to me. Giving up a 4th for someone who could not help the team now? And while Lance is certainly a raw talent, you can’t develop a guy like that very quickly without meaningful playing time.

And the team is about to extend Dak’s contract…I just don’t see a strategic advantage in this trade. Maybe it will make sense later. Meanwhile the team needed immediate help at several positions at the trade deadline and we did nothing. It looks more like JJ playing fantasy football than some kind of strategic move.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If one is giving up here and now on a previously injured player who just wasn't team developed due to immediacy of their own time demands...a man is never a waste to bet upon and develop to fully applicable standards.

This veteran knows of plenty of good soldiers that even started out a criminal and then passed award of a Top Secret Classification. You really making fun of a man because he can be a target of ridicule? Not this soldier...

kskboys

Reaction score
It is certainly a mystifying move to me. Giving up a 4th for someone who could not help the team now? And while Lance is certainly a raw talent, you can’t develop a guy like that very quickly without meaningful playing time.

And the team is about to extend Dak’s contract…I just don’t see a strategic advantage in this trade. Maybe it will make sense later. Meanwhile the team needed immediate help at several positions at the trade deadline and we did nothing. It looks more like JJ playing fantasy football than some kind of strategic move.
In all likelihood, Trey Lance = Paxton Lynch. Small school players w/ athleticism and a big arm. Aside from a very occasional exception, this type player does not work out.

kskboys

Reaction score
If one is giving up here and now on a previously injured player who just wasn't team developed due to immediacy of their own time demands...a man is never a waste to bet upon and develop to fully applicable standards.

This veteran knows of plenty of good soldiers that even started out a criminal and then passed award of a Top Secret Classification. You really making fun of a man because he can be a target of ridicule? Not this soldier...
Wasn't developed? Inaccurate.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
Once we secure the best playoff position we can get, we should play him and see what happens. If he looks good, he could be a very valuable trading chip with all the teams in dire need of a QB.

CCBoy

Reaction score

That young quarterback is too stupid to pay attention just like Purdy, to learn from:

MVP candidate Brock Purdy earned 212 passing yards from yards gained after the catch last week. He kept things simple and let his playmakers take over. And Philadelphia obliged.

The 49ers also had heavy usage of multiple TE and multiple RB personnel groups. Their dynamic roster can win on the ground and through the air in these looks. Philadelphia struggled in these matchups because it was largely a pick-your-own-poison situation for them.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...hups-jake-ferguson-terence-steele-daron-bland

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Lance will earn his money for playing Hurts and Allen in practice the next two weeks.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wasn't developed? Inaccurate.
Not at all, smart guy...he had injured periods and other people were rushed in. Do YOU remember a Troy Aikman start where he almost asked to be traded and Jerry brought in an offensive coordinator to save ship? Carry on leadership and training expert. You da' man!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Lance will earn his money for playing Hurts and Allen in practice the next two weeks.
Ever grow in the sport, or watched growth actually occur for the Cowboys?

Roooty tooot tooot. Who wins Sunday? As if you are on the trail of the next failure for Dallas. What do you know about Mike Tomlin; New England's head coach; and Denver's head coach...show some real expert knowledge.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We have played 2 good teams this year and only scored 33 points in losing both games.

I guess we will see what Sunday even brings and this might sound harsh but so far the only script he has written is lighting up bad teams.
At this point in the season 20 out of 32 teams are at or below .500. The salary cap was added to help create parity and it is working exactly they way the want it to.

GM's and Owners can choose a strategy of being competitive every year or go all in, then tear all down and rebuild. Dallas has choose moving forward to be competitive every year.

It is really not hard to figure out.

reddyuta

Reaction score
best case he is our backup nest season.i am rooting for him,he ant be worse than Rush right?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point in the season 20 out of 32 teams are at or below .500. The salary cap was added to help create parity and it is working exactly they way the want it to.

GM's and Owners can choose a strategy of being competitive every year or go all in, then tear all down and rebuild. Dallas has choose moving forward to be competitive every year.

It is really not hard to figure out.
You think our strategy is working ? We haven’t chosen to be competitive. We lucked into 2 really good QBs. That’s the only difference between us and the Jets or Browns. Romo was an undrafted free agent and Dak we bumped into in round 4. Dak was actually not even our first choice of QB in round 4 of the 2016 draft, and he never would have played if Kellen Moore was healthy when Romo went down. Contrast that kind of luck with what happens in Washington or NY. There has been no plan or strategy here other than to build through the draft and resign as many of our own guys as possible.

We haven’t advanced beyond the NFC divisional playoff round since the 1995 season. So, being consistently competitive doesn’t cut it. You have to go all in once in a while.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Help me understand…how would zero playing time, zero exposure to the rest of the league make Trey Lance’s value go up? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

If he hasn’t played a down and there’s no film to evaluate any progress or digression this year, why would any team offer the Cowboys a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th round pick?

Maybe it becomes a good move at some point, but IMO at this time the Trey Lance trade is a mystery move more than a good move. Maybe you can shed some additional light.
Lance is under McCarthy’s tutelage. Lance is learning from some of the best, Shanahan and McCarthy. There are some teams desperate for QBs. A QB with name recognition will give fans confidence and sell tickets. Check out what is available in the draft at QB in the second and third round? Mostly projects.

Not playing Lance can actually increase his value. The unknown vs the known. If the Cowboys played Lance and he played poorly, then his value would drop. Lance’s value can’t drop if the Cowboys don’t play him. Other teams can only see potential.

Teams can also privately work him out before a trade. Teams would get much better data that way than a preseason game or mop up duty against scrubs in a meaningless end of the season game.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
Showcase him next preseason and hope for a 3nd Round pick from someone.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The anti Dak crowd is so unbelievably biased. I think they should wait to extend him. See how the playoffs pan out. That said if you don’t think his play this season hasn’t, bad teams or not, increased the chance of an extension you are nuts.
His play this year has nothing to do with getting an extension or not.

The decision on Dak getting an extension was made before the season started.

The only way he wasn't getting an extension is if Dak completely faltered this year and was so bad he got benched for Cooper.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Can anyone stand up and compare projected value for the Giant's current QB Tommy DeVito and what the Cowboys have in Lance. Stick to talents and their proven abilities to date. Not popularity clouded with pessimism.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You think our strategy is working ? We haven’t chosen to be competitive. We lucked into 2 really good QBs. That’s the only difference between us and the Jets or Browns. Romo was an undrafted free agent and Dak we bumped into in round 4. Dak was actually not even our first choice of QB in round 4 of the 2016 draft, and he never would have played if Kellen Moore was healthy when Romo went down. Contrast that kind of luck with what happens in Washington or NY. There has been no plan or strategy here other than to build through the draft and resign as many of our own guys as possible.

We haven’t advanced beyond the NFC divisional playoff round since the 1995 season. So, being consistently competitive doesn’t cut it. You have to go all in once in a whil

We haven’t advanced beyond the NFC divisional playoff round since the 1995 season. So, being consistently competitive doesn’t cut it. You have to go all in once in a while.
Working for who? It may not be what you want, but their recent strategy of trying to be consistent every year is working. The Jone's run their team the way they want to. 2021 12-5, 2022, 12-5, and this year most likely 12-5, if not better. I think they would say that is working.

Cowboys being Americas Team, the most watched and most valued - pretty sure they view that as success. They are not interested in going all in, getting in cap hell and then having to rebuild anymore.