What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
Lance is a lottery ticket/or insurance if Dak goes down. Do you know how easy it is to obtain a 4th round pick? Teams give them away. The Browns/Jets/Giants wish they made that trade.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Then they flip him for a pick.
No other team offered more than a 5th or 6th round pick when he had a cheap extra year on his deal. Now you'll be trying to trade a one year, $5 million guaranteed contract belonging to an injury-prone guy with bad tape who was QB3 on multiple teams in 2023. We need to forget about this dream. It's not going to happen.

CWR

Reaction score
No other team offered more than a 5th or 6th round pick when he had a cheap extra year on his deal. Now you'll be trying to trade a one year, $5 million guaranteed contract belonging to an injury-prone guy with bad tape who was QB3 on multiple teams in 2023. We need to forget about this dream. It's not going to happen.
No they will have to develop him to the point there is interest. I think I mentioned that prior.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
the plan is for him to learn this year and show progress in practice, show progress in film room about what he sees and recognition. subsequently you get off season to evaluate, specially in preseason next year. he has to show he can be better than Rush and then take over #2 spot. he can be a trade bait if he shows enough next year for another team desparate for a QB. If he shows enough and gains trust of coaches and Jerry, then he gets an extension.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Would give a 4th round pick all day to entertain the thought of a future developmental project at QB.
Lance is here to learn from Dak so that he might, might be able to take the reins someday, but he is a long way from that at this point.

oldcorvetteguy

Reaction score
Why didn't it make sense? The Cowboys had a 2nd round grade on him and used a late 4th to get him. He is still on his rookie deal so there is plenty of time to see if the light comes on for him or not. The plan is to wait and see what happens. Simple as that.

The Cowboys are going to extend Dak, we already know that will likely happen. He is 7 years older than Lance. If a few years if Dak gets hurt or retired Lance could step in. Maybe he will improve to the point of taking over for Dak.

Your second paragraph confuses me. Jerry doesn't believe in blowing up the roster. He thinks we are a contender, so why even consider that notion?
Why would anybody want him over Dak? Dak is playing great.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Overpay him to sit on the bench. Don't really see any other options.
Lance is a trade piece. Worst case. Teams are desperately seeking a Qb. The recent success of guys like Dobbs and Geno Smith helps Dallas & Trey Lance. If Dak exceeds expectations and we make a very deep run, Lance will become a hot trade target. Some team will think they can reboot him and find a scheme that fits him. I think he will get meaningful reps like the last game of the year after we cinch in a playoff spot and draft position. It will be his dress rehearsal for the other 16 plus teams not in the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah thats what I was trying to say. I know they didn't trade a 4th for a back up. He was there as a hedge and worst case scenario he can back up and develop then be flipped for a pick.
I agree they weren’t going to trade a fourth round pick for a backup QB. Dak had been regressing and they wanted to cover themselves in the event he continued to regress this season and they decided to move on from him. Even if things don’t go the way we want this season, he’ll be extended. He’s played too well not to be extended. If Lance can win the backup job next season, eventually he’s going to have to play at some point due to Dak being injured. If he can play well, it will increase his stock in the event we trade him.

Reactions: CWR

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I agree they weren’t going to trade a fourth round pick for a backup QB. Dak had been regressing and they wanted to cover themselves in the event he continued to regress this season and they decided to move on from him. Even if things don’t go the way we want this season, he’ll be extended. He’s played too well not to be extended. If Lance can win the backup job next season, eventually he’s going to have to play at some point due to Dak being injured. If he can play well, it will increase his stock in the event we trade him.
With his roster bonus he’ll cost Dallas over $5 million next season. Prescott is going to sign a new deal certainly over $55 million per, Rush is probably owed a couple of million if he’s still with the team. Lance pretty much has to be Dallas’ number two next season. If he can’t move ahead of Cooper Rush the demand for him won’t be a 4th round pick.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They think they got value for him because he was way over drafted. No way they do not extend Dak barring some major injury.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Maybe it lit a fire in Dak, if that's the case then it was well worth it

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
A 4th round pick isn’t very much to give.

They saw a QB that they had rated much higher than a 4th round pick, and decided to take a low round flyer. A guy that has some extenuating circumstances with the team that drafted him, and they wanted to give their guy (McCarthy) a shot to coach him up and see what can be made of Lance. McCarthy is very good with QB’s.

It was just an inexpensive opportunity to get a guy who is really talented and who plays the most important position in the game. It was a smart, low-risk / high-reward move. They were never going to play him until next training camp… unless the two guys in front of him gets hurt.