What is wrong with tanking?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i remember the days of the old southwest conference. arkansas and frank broyles. texas and coach royal.
Magic times, my friend, it was pure magic. AR against the state of Texas and doing a respectable job of recruiting in Texas.

I travelled AR at the time of The Great Shootout and was in NW AR the week of the game and it was unlike anytime I can recall in my life. You had to grow up in a place like AR to appreciate the hugeness of it all. If not for MS, we'd have ranked 50th in everything and the only thing we had going for us was our Hogs. The POTUS was coming to Fayetteville to award the National Championship and that's big doin's in my birth state.

I'd been married a year and was at my in laws house and my father in law was a huge Hogs fan and we spent game days and nights listening to the games like lives depended on it. After that game, we got in his truck and went up to the overlook over the AR river and cried like toddlers, so hard was that loss to take. Arkansans were in mourning for the rest of the season and it didn't even matter that we'd not dropped our #2 ranking after that loss, it was Texas. We had lost the biggest game in AR history to.....Texas.

Just 5 years earlier as my band was playing a party that night, we shut it down because the word was going out all over town, AR was beating Texas. We all listened to the end of that game end in a 14-13 win and cranked the amps back up and I want to tell you that was the closest I will ever come to knowing what if felt like to the American GI's liberating France and how thankful the ladies were. It was one of the most insane nights of my life.

That's how big it used to be to play Texas. So ingrained was the hatred that I still have it today and pull against them in every game but against OU because I like OK less after living there. Bedlam is this Saturday and I am so conflicted because one of them is going to win.

When Booger bought the team and rolled into Dallas, he really had two problems with the locals. Firing Landry was a problem but the real problem was this Arkansas hillbilly just bought our Cowboys and he's a loudmouth. The brown shoe had arrived at the formal dance to a lot of Dallas folks.

Longtime radio bud of mine was invited to one of the first media parties Booger had to ingratiate himself with them and he told me he'd never met a man so out of tune with people laughing at him or with him. It was more than obvious what he was trying to do but if he was going to open up the team to the media, they were walking right on in.

jnday

Reaction score
Ah...I see. So it's SO prevalent and known that you couldn't actually expend a little resource as to what YOU are referencing.

Look...I think I remember a few things about it. I'm probably more on YOUR side than not. But for the life of me I can't figure out why people would spend SO much time POSTING about it (post after post after post) and so little time showing legitimate references. SO that we're all looking at the same things.

Oh well..it's the internet. What can ya do?
Considering my history with the poster that I was arguing with, I am not going to waste my time providing him with information that most Cowbiy fans know. I googled it and the first video I looked at confirmed what I was saying. If he really wanted to know, he can do the same. Yeah, it is personal.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering my history with the poster that I was arguing with, I am not going to waste my time providing him with information that most Cowbiy fans know. I googled it and the first video I looked at confirmed what I was saying. If he really wanted to know, he can do the same. Yeah, it is personal.

I see. Can't say i blame ya much.

It is still my opinion if a claim is made...we should go ahead and get some sources too. But I also get it when people are contentious about it rather than cooperating.

JayFord

Reaction score
Who wants to tank? Why? Its not guaranteed the player you select high is going to make a difference

Have a strong scouting department and fill the rest of your holes with free agency

and if they werent good on their last team dont get them in free agency......if they’re playing on their 5th team and theyre not even 25 then they may not be the ones for this team

jnday

Reaction score
I see. Can't say i blame ya much.

It is still my opinion if a claim is made...we should go ahead and get some sources too. But I also get it when people are contentious about it rather than cooperating.
There are multiple interviews supporting my claims as several posters here have pointed out, but the poster in question would not admit he was wrong if Jimmy told him in person. If you notice, the poster didn’t question the other posters that stated the same information that I did. Sometimes it is better to let people simmer in their ignorance, if you know what I mean.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This whole thread is the idea of tanking. You do not outright tank until you're proven mathematically out of the playoffs. When that happens you get a feel of your roster and play everyone to see if they can help during the rebuild. We should only tank once the playoffs are out of reach. Which may not happen until mid December.
Tank only when were are mathematically out of the playoffs?
Really, old boy.
By that time you lose your chance for that 1-5 draft pick.
And we wind up picking No. 16 in the draft for another 8-8 season.
If I had money I'd put out a contract on you. And I don't mean a sports contract.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
What's wrong with match fixing?
Fixing a match serves no purpose for your future success. Its for cash, not a strategic move for draft picks.
Also, you do know, don't you, old fellow, that matches are one night events and NFL is 16 games?
And BOTH mach managers have to conspire.
In tanking in the NFL there is a one team effort and it is very subtle. So subtle that street lads like you would not even notice.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Fixing a match serves no purpose for your future success. Its for cash, not a strategic move for draft picks.
Also, you do know, don't you, old fellow, that matches are one night events and NFL is 16 games?
And BOTH mach managers have to conspire.
In tanking in the NFL there is a one team effort and it is very subtle. So subtle that street lads like you would not even notice.

Wait a minute English....let's look at that idea....many sports have tournaments where the result of one round determines their opponent in the next round. As a result, by losing a match, a team can face an easier opponent in the next round, making them more likely to win.

....a National Football League team has also been accused of throwing its final regular-season game in an attempt to "choose" its possible opponent in the subsequent playoffs. An alleged example of this was when the San Francisco 49ers, who had clinched a playoff berth, lost their regular-season finale in 1988 to the Los Angeles Rams, thereby knocking the New York Giants (who had defeated the 49ers in the playoffs in both 1985 and 1986, also injuring 49er quarterback Joe Montana in the latter year's game) out of the postseason on tiebreakers; after the game, Giants quarterback Phil Simms angrily accused the 49ers of "laying down like dogs."

Members of four badminton teams from China, Indonesia and South Korea were ejected from the women's doubles tournament for intentionally losing matches to allow better pairings in the knockout stages of the competition. In what the BBC called a “night of shame,” players made simple errors throughout the match, despite booing and jeering from the crowd, and warnings from the match umpire and tournament referee to cease and desist. The Badminton World Federation found the four pairs gulity of “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and “conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport.”

...during Euro 2004 the Czech Republic rested nearly all of its starters from the first two group matches for the final group match against Germany. Since the Czechs had already clinched first place in the group, this move was seen to have the potential to allow Germany a better chance get the win they needed to advance at the expense of the winner of the NetherlandsLatvia game. As it happened, the Czechs' decision to field a "weaker" side did not matter since the Czechs won the match anyway to eliminate the Germans.

There are definite penalties in soccer such as being relegated to a lower tier, loss of revenue, and television appearances.

This is not like when Landry's Cowboys loss to the lowly Cardinals knowing the loss didn't affect the standing or play-off position. Those type losses where the greater opponent loses to the less are more like sumo where intricacies of Japanese culture, which include subordination of individual gain to the greater good and knowing how to read a situation without the exchange of words (I know my opponent's score, he needs help, and I should automatically give it to him).

kskboys

Reaction score
Who wants to tank? Why? Its not guaranteed the player you select high is going to make a difference

Have a strong scouting department and fill the rest of your holes with free agency

and if they werent good on their last team dont get them in free agency......if they’re playing on their 5th team and theyre not even 25 then they may not be the ones for this team
Soo, you're just as happy drafting 28 as drafting 2nd? Same quality of players? You have one very strange way of perceiving this.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was easy for Jimmy to tank. He traded Walker for players that could become draft picks if they didn’t stick with the team. Of course he wanted the draft picks instead of the subpar players , so those players didn’t stick and Jimmy got the draft picks that he wanted.
Yeah actually cheated. Refused to play players for more draft picks. Tainted season. Don’t want to repeat

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Wait a minute English....let's look at that idea....many sports have tournaments where the result of one round determines their opponent in the next round. As a result, by losing a match, a team can face an easier opponent in the next round, making them more likely to win.

....a National Football League team has also been accused of throwing its final regular-season game in an attempt to "choose" its possible opponent in the subsequent playoffs. An alleged example of this was when the San Francisco 49ers, who had clinched a playoff berth, lost their regular-season finale in 1988 to the Los Angeles Rams, thereby knocking the New York Giants (who had defeated the 49ers in the playoffs in both 1985 and 1986, also injuring 49er quarterback Joe Montana in the latter year's game) out of the postseason on tiebreakers; after the game, Giants quarterback Phil Simms angrily accused the 49ers of "laying down like dogs."

Members of four badminton teams from China, Indonesia and South Korea were ejected from the women's doubles tournament for intentionally losing matches to allow better pairings in the knockout stages of the competition. In what the BBC called a “night of shame,” players made simple errors throughout the match, despite booing and jeering from the crowd, and warnings from the match umpire and tournament referee to cease and desist. The Badminton World Federation found the four pairs gulity of “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and “conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport.”

...during Euro 2004 the Czech Republic rested nearly all of its starters from the first two group matches for the final group match against Germany. Since the Czechs had already clinched first place in the group, this move was seen to have the potential to allow Germany a better chance get the win they needed to advance at the expense of the winner of the NetherlandsLatvia game. As it happened, the Czechs' decision to field a "weaker" side did not matter since the Czechs won the match anyway to eliminate the Germans.

There are definite penalties in soccer such as being relegated to a lower tier, loss of revenue, and television appearances.

This is not like when Landry's Cowboys loss to the lowly Cardinals knowing the loss didn't affect the standing or play-off position. Those type losses where the greater opponent loses to the less are more like sumo where intricacies of Japanese culture, which include subordination of individual gain to the greater good and knowing how to read a situation without the exchange of words (I know my opponent's score, he needs help, and I should automatically give it to him).

Logic and plausibility exceed your reach, Gary.
As if I care about badminton and fùtbol ....
What a gaslighting maroon, govnor!