CZ POLL What is your confidence level of the Cowboys front office right now?

What is your confidence level of the Cowboys front office right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I voted "somewhat confident".

My rational:

Although a lot of angst is driven by current issues with the OL, the team has invested considerable draft capital in the offensive line over the decade.

Also, to their credit, the FO has clawed their way out of "cap hell". So kudos.

Overall, drafting has improved significantly.

These are all good "signs".

Where i lose confidence in the FO is contract management for players entering the window for their second contracts; Zeke, in particular, DLaw and Dak are good examples.

I don't even know how to categorize the Amari Cooper situation but to trade 1st round pick for Cooper, have him generally meet or exceed expectations and then trade him for a 5th rounder is mind-blowingly stupid.

While many aspects of draft management have improved, we still seem to reach for that "hidden gem", players that are superior athletes but less than stellar football players, and the arrogant belief that we can "coach 'em up".

Some good, some not so good but overall lacking a central strategy or theme.

Big_D

Reaction score
Jerry doesn’t inspire confidence? That’s a shocker!

barham

Reaction score
I have pulled for the Cowboys since I was going to college in the early 60s and watching them in the Cotton Bowl. Landry, Lilly, Meredith, Staubach, Aikman and their teammates had class. The Jones family has none. To those of you who are upset I suggest you do what what I do on Sunday. Ignore pro football and spend more time with your family. My grandkids are a lot more enjoyable and rewarding.

terra

Reaction score
Complete confidence. They provided talented players.

Maybe the DLine and Safety should have been addressed sooner. Maybe some of the contracts were a little hard to understand.

But we have some players. Jones Boys get too much hate.
Is that you Charlotte?

Sounds dumb enough.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The scouting department is as good as any in the league, and IMO we legitimately have an edge there vs the usual draft-pick dart throwing.

Free agent scouting is really poor. Jayron Kearse and Malik Hooker were finds last year, but the last 5 years as a whole have been abysmal.

When it comes to signing our own talent, we are abysmal. "Jerry's guys" like Zeke and Jaylon get inflated second contracts that they don't live up to, and malcontents like Amari Cooper and La'El get released even if their deals are very reasonable. Let me tell you, we could use the latter two right now. Those two guys alone are worth at least one game on our W/L record this year.

And blowing up the Gregory negotiation was classic Stephen - both sides were motivated to make that deal, the dollars were were worked out, and then Stephen pulls a shady used car salesman close and poisons the whole thing.

If Jerry and Stephen answered to an owner, he would have fired them years ago. Will McClay's shrewd drafting and some luck finding Dak and Romo are the reasons we are competitive every year, but Jerry and Stephen are the reasons why we never actually contend.

basel90

Reaction score
This FO is a textbook of what not to do for any sporting team especially football .
An old man with a 60s football mentality , run heavy convoluted scheme with a big ego , emphasis on financial business revenue from stars , over on field results , and consistent meddling in coaching decisions on and off the field . How can such a FO help a team win a super bowl ? Almost impossible. Major mayhem and accidents / disasters have to happen to other teams for this team to win .

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I honestly believe I could do a better job. @ least I'd try and field a winning team....as for Jerry...it's always been about padding his wallet.

plasticman

Reaction score
If Jerry was a real NFL General Manager, then he would have been fired at least 3 times by now.

His results post-Jimmy inspires the direct opposite of confidence, whatever that word happens to be....."dread", perhaps?

kevm3

Reaction score
You've already seen the results of the past quarter century. What has the FO changed in terms of policy or philosophy to make anyone think that things will be different this year? The only hope is Dan Quinn somehow creates one of the best defenses in the history of the league and we just shut everyone down.

reddyuta

Reaction score
wait till Jerry is dead,Stephen wont be able to go show his dumb face in public,he will be the most hated man in Dallas.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'll agree with you on DTs. That's bizarre. And the QB thing isn't that big a deal because they largely have gotten lucky with Romo and Dak. They also have invested 4 first rounders in 10 years on OL - Smith, Smith, Frederick, Martin - which I would say are vital positions, right?

Drafting isn't really their issue. Sure, they arent perfect but they don't suck at it. They fail in FA. They fail in admitting mistakes. They are too loyal to guys they drafted. I think they undervalue certain positions (DT) and overvalue others (TB). Those are my gripes.
Ooooh, no, drafting is a huge monstrous issue. It's not so much who they take, it's who they don't take. Although when you look at the multiple wasted 2nd rounders over the years, it's also often who they take. A team that has not problems w/ drafting does not take thug Kelvin Joseph in the 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.