What is your contract-years-remaining limit on player hold-outs?

blueblood70

Reaction score
You have the right after three years to ask for more money that's fine you can posture and hold out I'm OK with it before that no but you're offered fifty year options at $1,000,000 a game I expect you to suit up game one you can hold out you can posture all you want during camps and preseason games but then I'm flipping it back to to be on them and I will blame them if they're not there game one because they're making a lot of money and it's not a risk in my opinion the elite players get paid whether they get hurt or not Prescott's proof he got everything he wanted after he snapped his ankle..

Besides the fact everyone thinks that these players have the leverage they don't have the leverage they both were offered the 5th year options they could be franchise tagged they'll be on this team if the owners want to play hardball Prescott is a different situation and I believe his contracts holding the rest of these up but yeah sure I'm not gonna judge them for holding out but I will judge them hard if they're not suited up for game one under their current contracts which for those two players we're talking about is over $1,000,000 per game let it sink in $1,000,000 per game..

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m fine with them holding out anytime. Even rookies sometimes holdout. As long as they don’t mind paying the mandatory fines, so be it. Lamb is going to pocket 17 million this season; he should be at camp, even if he doesn’t participate in contact drills. I would refuse to negotiate further and make sure he knew that I’m more likely to franchise tag him after the season if he isn’t at camp. Come to camp, and we resume negotiations.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
That's a very fair argument, but the Cowboys aren't even coming close to winning super bowls with their current formula so do you let fear dictate the decision making process? Personally I think this team is good enough to at least contend for a playoff spot without Dak, even if they aren't truly super bowl contenders with a lesser QB.

Worst case scenario you let Dak walk and Micah wants traded....now you've freed up close to $100MM per year to spend and have a boat load of draft picks to restock with as you bring in a new HC with a new vision. There may be some pain associated with going that route, but it give me more hope than running it back year after year expecting different results.
Draft picks are more important than ever to teams because they offer cost control at a time compensation to star players is not under any one team’s control. The days of multiple draft picks in exchange for a star player are over. Taking on an expensive player while simultaneously forfeiting compensation cost control is taking one step forward and two steps back. No team would give up even one first round pick for Parsons, not anymore. If a team is willing to part with a top player for draft picks that’s the signal you don’t want to make the trade. There has to be a reason A team wants to move a star player. Every team has their own first in 2025. All but two have their 2nd. There’s a reason for that, too.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It always amazes me how so many fans are disgruntled by the wealth of the players and not the owners , league, sponsors , networks and everyone else involved .
We've talked about this before but lots of times it's about who specifically is getting the wealth. Can't look down on people earning 100's of times more than you so some turn to the "higher moral ground" arguments. If I were a player I'd wipe my tears with $20 bills, lol.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
While I’d agree with much of your thoughts, from the business side which I’d promise you is what our owners and most teams look at is it’s a much more lucrative position to have a playoff contender team than basically starting over looking for another Franchise QB.

There’s basically 2 types of teams in the NFL. One is looking for a Franchise QB and or trying to develop one and the others are trying to build around one best they can. Of course the greater the QB easier it is to build around .

I understand many fans have given up hope Dak can lead us further but it’s not an absolute certainty despite whatever conclusions they’ve come to.

And why I’d imagine regardless the disappointment and frustration we might have most FO’s are going to try and retain their Franchise QB.

There’s a very short list of teams who walk away from consistent playoff caliber Franchise QB’s because they come up short.
Historically speaking you're correct, but that is what bugs me so much about the NFL and it's suborness about QBs. Every year we see teams with JAG QBs getting to the post season, especially with the expanded playoffs. I really believe that the idea you have a franchise QB or you're looking for one is outdated. I think either you have an elite QB or you focus on developing and retaining the rest of your team. Having a middle of the pack QB making top money and sacrificing talent around them doesn't give you a better chance than going the Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay route of having a really good team with a low cost QB.

I certainly think Dak can win a championship, but I don't see how that happens with the Cowboys if they continue on the route they've gone this offseason. They simply cannot continue to pay the top of their roster more money, let the mid tier players walk, reject free agency, and expect to make the jump from 1st round playoff loss to superbowl. We look at 12 wins and think they are right there, just victims of bad playoff luck, but I don't think that is the case.

You're absolutely right though that the Cowboys are looking at this from a lets take the safe route to be in the hunt every year to maximize every dollar instead of lets take a risk to get over the hump. That's where fan frustration is coming from though....it just unfairly gets put on Dak, Micah, etc. instead of the stooges at the top who prioritize the $$$$$.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, in the rest of the world you have no legal basis. "Hold Out" ie, to not perform a job that you are under contract to perform is breach of contract.

Without regard to the law, a deal was made. Complete the deal and then you are free to pursue whatever you wish.
I’m sorry you feel that but contracts are made to be broken and are renegotiated . Fortunately no one is under ball and chains anymore.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We've talked about this before but lots of times it's about who specifically is getting the wealth. Can't look down on people earning 100's of times more than you so some turn to the "higher moral ground" arguments. If I were a player I'd wipe my tears with $20 bills, lol.
I have a philosophy why some fans take issue with athletes making their fortune while look the other way on actors, artist and entertainers for example. But the details and specifics of the discussion might not be allowed on this site.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Play out the contract you signed, and were ecstatic to get. Once that obligation is fulfilled then anything goes to negotiate the next contract.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I’m sorry you feel that but contracts are made to be broken and are renegotiated . Fortunately no one is under ball and chains anymore.
Can't agree with either of these statements. Contracts are literally not intended to be broken or renegotiated. I assure you that when we sign contracts in normal business we are very much looking at that as binding both parties until the contract expires.

Signing contracts to perform a service has nothing in common with any situations in which "ball and chain" would have occurred.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Historically speaking you're correct, but that is what bugs me so much about the NFL and it's suborness about QBs. Every year we see teams with JAG QBs getting to the post season, especially with the expanded playoffs. I really believe that the idea you have a franchise QB or you're looking for one is outdated. I think either you have an elite QB or you focus on developing and retaining the rest of your team. Having a middle of the pack QB making top money and sacrificing talent around them doesn't give you a better chance than going the Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay route of having a really good team with a low cost QB.

I certainly think Dak can win a championship, but I don't see how that happens with the Cowboys if they continue on the route they've gone this offseason. They simply cannot continue to pay the top of their roster more money, let the mid tier players walk, reject free agency, and expect to make the jump from 1st round playoff loss to superbowl. We look at 12 wins and think they are right there, just victims of bad playoff luck, but I don't think that is the case.

You're absolutely right though that the Cowboys are looking at this from a lets take the safe route to be in the hunt every year to maximize every dollar instead of lets take a risk to get over the hump. That's where fan frustration is coming from though....it just unfairly gets put on Dak, Micah, etc. instead of the stooges at the top who prioritize the $$$$$.
That’s close to perfect.

I truly believe that Jerry honestly expects top of the line performance just because he is paying top money to a player…to the point where it’s more than they are capable of….and I also believe that’s why he currently feels as if Prescott owes him something for not delivering, while all it’s doing is holding up the entire path of the organization.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yes, and I whole heartedly agree than less than Elite QB’s shouldn’t be receiving Market Price contracts but it illustrates how important to NFL franchises how important it is to them this era. Not only on the field but at the box office becoming basically the face of their franchise .

Unfortunately there’s only a handful of Elite QB’s in the league at any given time. The rest of the league has to try and find as good a QB as possible and build around them. That’s the reality of the league. Franchise QB’s represent stability.

Otherwise you go years, maybe decades continuing to strike out in the draft before hitting on the next Elite QB. Not to mention the instabilities in FO’s and Coaching staffs. It’s simply not a feasible position to be in for Franchises being one of the bottom tier teams looking for a QB.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can't agree with either of these statements. Contracts are literally not intended to be broken or renegotiated. I assure you that when we sign contracts in normal business we are very much looking at that as binding both parties until the contract expires.

Signing contracts to perform a service has nothing in common with any situations in which "ball and chain" would have occurred.
Sure we are looking for them to be binding. Most aren’t willing to walk away if it means not getting paid. But personal services as such isn’t normal business.

We must remember the NFL has become the entertainment business. And breaking or renegotiating contracts is much more the norm than perhaps many realize.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No team would give up even one first round pick for Parsons, not anymore.
That may be the wildest take I've ever heard.

Brian Burns just went for 3 picks including a 2nd rounder
Chase Young a 3rd rounder
Sweat went for a 2nd rounder
Leonard Williams went for a 2nd and 5th rounder
Aaron Rodgers netted two 2nd rounders
Darren Waller a 3rd rounder
Sean Payton a 1st rounder
Calvin Ridley a 3rd and 5th
Chase Claypool a 2nd rounder
TJ Hockenson a 2nd rounder
Roquan Smith a 2nd rounder + 5th rounder + a player
Kadarius Toney a 3rd and 6th rounder
Christian McCaffrey a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounder
Deshaun Watson (3) 1st round picks + 3rd round, (2) 4th rounders
Devante Adams a 1st and 2nd rounder
Russell Wilson 3 players, 2 1sts and 2 2nd rounders
Khalil Mack a 2nd and 5th

These all happened within the last two seasons and you really think that a top, maybe THE top Edge player in football with multiple years of team control wont net even one 1st round draft pick? KC would give you a 1st round pick and laugh all the way to another super bowl.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I have a philosophy why some fans take issue with athletes making their fortune while look the other way on actors, artist and entertainers for example. But the details and specifics of the discussion might not be allowed on this site.
Like I said, we've talked about it before so I remember and 'tis true about it being a firebrand topic.

aikemirv

Reaction score
First, let me say I am all for players getting the most money they can because their careers are short and a fluke injury could end their career or a random injury could negatively impact their future earnings.

My question to everyone (and I am being serious, there is no agenda behind this), at what point do you think the player is wrong to hold out?

So, for example, Lamb is going into his final contract year, with one injury he is likely to get a sub-market value contract offer in 2025 or he has to play on a one-year-prove-it contract just to get back "in the contract game".

The risk is very obvious and that combined with him playing on a pre-defined rookie contract makes it understandable that he wants a new contract before taking the field.

What happens when a player holds out with 2 years remaining on their contract? For example, Parsons has 2 years remaining on his contract and let's say he decides to hold out. Is he justified?

If so, why not hold out with 3 years remaining? What about 4 years remaing, assuming they are playing on a 5-year or 4-year-with-5th-option contract?

Again, I have no agenda in asking this as I would like to hear what people think.
I am gonna say that it depends on a few things:

Was it your rookie contract where you were slotted and you have well outperformed?
How long was your contract and has the market change dramatically since you signed?
Did your production change dramatically since you signed
How many more contracts will you get and will you age out before you get to that point?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
When a player sucks they get cut as it should be. Think Fat Zeke.

When a player is underpaid they refuse to show up as it should be. Think Parsons.

Parsons getting paid 5 million this year is absurd. No way in the world should he show up.

The only question is what should the team do in response. What is best for the team.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The problem with this team is pathetic Jerry. He caved in to a fat old guard last year and made him the highest paid in the NFL only to watch him flop around like a beached whale. You gotta know when to resign and when to cut bait. We always resign. We never ever ever cut bait until it is far far far too late.