What is your current faith in Dak?

RoboQB

Reaction score
It seems to me, being forced to either give an extension to a QB that has proven not to be a difference maker, or,
ride out the last contract year at $55M+ would qualify
as "handcuffed".

But hey, some goof calling the backup QB "Trance"
every chance he gets seems to think that's an uneducated take... smh

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak is being paid, at this point, $29 million dollars between now and the end if the 2024 season. The cap hit in deference to his contract is the result of the Dallas Cowboys’ FO managing his contract. How is that Dak’s fault? He does not make decisions managing player compensation for the Cowboys.
His insistence on a 4 year deal has a good bit to do with it. The FO are idiots, but Dak's nose isn't clean in this. He went for market value. Fine, he earned it. Handicapping the team's financial flexibility though? I was all in with the kid until that contract was signed, and now we're seeing the negative impact such a contract can cause.

Chasing6

Reaction score
His insistence on a 4 year deal has a good bit to do with it. The FO are idiots, but Dak's nose isn't clean in this. He went for market value. Fine, he earned it. Handicapping the team's financial flexibility though? I was all in with the kid until that contract was signed, and now we're seeing the negative impact such a contract can cause.
Asking for market value is greedy all of a sudden?

He signed a 4 year $160M contract. That is an average of $40M a year. Restructuring kicked the can down the road. If Dak was making $40M this year, no one would be complaining.

hopemsu

Reaction score
0% faith in Dak. Man needs a team that is stacked and it won't happen with him being paid a quarter of the cap.
like the chiefs defense was this year, allowing just 24 points in a game 3 times, and losing 2 of them. If you dont have a defense that can get critical stops or be depended on.. i dont care if the 5 greatest qbs combine DNA and impregnate the same girl that had a father that was the 6th greatest qb of all time, that qb isnt going to win anything without a defense. and neither has mahomes or brady without a defense.

Last edited:

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Asking for market value is greedy all of a sudden?

He signed a 4 year $160M contract. That is an average of $40M a year. Restructuring kicked the can down the road. If Dak was making $40M this year, no one would be complaining.
I just said he earned market value. The issue was and has always been the length of that contract. Look at the contracts Mahommes and Hurts signed. Longer term, more flexibility, and oddly enough, more success on the field.

I'm not complaining about Dak's $60m this year. The team needs to balance the books and taking that hit now makes alot of sense, with the departure of several starters. The fact that this was predictable and avoidable is what gets me. If he signs a 5 year deal or longer, the window of opportunity is open longer. That window closed in Dallas against Green Bay.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I just said he earned market value. The issue was and has always been the length of that contract. Look at the contracts Mahommes and Hurts signed. Longer term, more flexibility, and oddly enough, more success on the field.

I'm not complaining about Dak's $60m this year. The team needs to balance the books and taking that hit now makes alot of sense, with the departure of several starters. The fact that this was predictable and avoidable is what gets me. If he signs a 5 year deal or longer, the window of opportunity is open longer. That window closed in Dallas against Green Bay.
For whatever reason Jerry likes to procrastinate. I would not surprise me at all if he tries to re-sign Dak at end of next season.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
As a Dak "supporter" that now has doubts, all I can say is he is one of the most difficult players to judge in Cowboys history.

We have all seen him perform at an elite level. And if you look subjectively at his career, since late in 2018 he has maintained his status as a top ten, oftentimes top 5, quarterback in the NFL.

But as a fan base, we are all starved for a Super Bowl. And the easiest place to place the blame is with the quarterback. Now, we cannot deny Dak has (generally) played poorly in the postseason. But in a weird coincidence, every playoff game Dallas has lost with Dak has ALSO featured horrible play from multiple players/units on the team. For example, the Packers game. Yes, Dak was very bad. But even if he was playing well, I don't see the Cowboys winning that game. The Packers had tight ends running free downfield uncovered. They could have picked their point total that day.

So overall on a 1-10 scale I would put my faith in Dak at a 5. Because while I still see him as a quarterback CAPABLE of getting this team a Super Bowl, I do not see him as a guy that can, right now, elevate a flawed roster well enough to do it.

Now, can the Cowboys surround him with the type of team that win a Super Bowl with Dak? No, because they have proven they cannot do this since 1996. Remember, this title drought dates back to when Dak was what, four years old? Let's not pretend the good old days will return once he's gone.

Because the good old days were LONG GONE before Dak even got here anyway.

pitt33

Reaction score
The stats show the Cowboys don’t win many games when they can’t stop the run, especially when they give up 150+. We’re not giving our pass rush much of an opportunity to get sacks and turnovers which is what we need to win especially in postseason. Dak has had his issues in postseason but our defense is the main problem. Our best defensive performances during the regular season don’t show up in the playoffs. We save our worst defensive performances for the playoffs. Our best defensive player who will be looking for a record defensive contract has only one sack and 4 QB hits in four playoff games. He’s been a no show in the playoffs along with everyone else on the defensive side.
The defense held the 49er’s to 19 points in 2023.

The defense didn’t lose that game.

erod

Reaction score
The cake is baked. It's over. Cut bait and move on.

To do otherwise is just pretending.

He's awful when it matters most.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
For whatever reason Jerry likes to procrastinate. I would not surprise me at all if he tries to re-sign Dak at end of next season.
Guess it depends on how well Dak plays and how the team performs. I've been saying that if Dak proves he can win without a stacked roster, I'd welcome him back with open arms. I have my doubts, but would love to be proven wrong

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The defense held the 49er’s to 19 points in 2023.

The defense didn’t lose that game.
Never said the defense cost us the game. I was referring to the 2021 playoff game against SF when they ran the ball down our throat.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Guess it depends on how well Dak plays and how the team performs. I've been saying that if Dak proves he can win without a stacked roster, I'd welcome him back with open arms. I have my doubts, but would love to be proven wrong
I don't believe Dak can ever win when our defense gives up 200+ yards rushing. My guess is he would be 0 for infinity.

Please let me know what QB wins consistently in that situation?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't believe Dak can ever win when our defense gives up 200+ yards rushing. My guess is he would be 0 for infinity.

Please let me know what QB wins consistently in that situation?
How do ya reckon we pay for the players needed to stop the run? Idk if you've noticed, but our depth has been gutted this offseason, and it coincides with potential pay days for Dak and Lamb. Estimates are pushing $90m/year for those 2 players. Micah is likely to get another $30m/y next offseason and Diggs is making roughly $20m/y. That leaves around $110m to fill out the rest of the roster.

Dak needs a strong #2 receiver to thrive. Check out what happened when Dez and Cooper left. That's minimum $10-15m. Zach Martin is another $15m, roughly. What's Tyler Smith going to make, especially if he's moved to tackle? Terrence Steele is around $15m. Lawrence is pushing $20m/y. Do you see what I'm getting at? None of this is accounting for the fact that we have next to nobody along either line, or a starting RB. At a $60m price tag, Dak is going to need to carry less talented teams than he's accustomed to. That hasn't ended well in the past. That's why I need to see it to get back on board.

To answer your question: who did Mahommes have on offense outside of Kelce last season? Brady made it work with Gronk, Welker and Edelman. What does a prime Brady do with the 2023 Cowboys roster? His only notable RB throughout his 20+ year career was an old Corey Dillon. Those guys also took team friendly deals to accumulate and keep talent, the opposite of what we've seen from Dak and his agent. Point being, if you want to talk about talent deficits, look at where the money is going and tell me how you'd fix it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
How do ya reckon we pay for the players needed to stop the run? Idk if you've noticed, but our depth has been gutted this offseason, and it coincides with potential pay days for Dak and Lamb. Estimates are pushing $90m/year for those 2 players. Micah is likely to get another $30m/y next offseason and Diggs is making roughly $20m/y. That leaves around $110m to fill out the rest of the roster.

Dak needs a strong #2 receiver to thrive. Check out what happened when Dez and Cooper left. That's minimum $10-15m. Zach Martin is another $15m, roughly. What's Tyler Smith going to make, especially if he's moved to tackle? Terrence Steele is around $15m. Lawrence is pushing $20m/y. Do you see what I'm getting at? None of this is accounting for the fact that we have next to nobody along either line, or a starting RB. At a $60m price tag, Dak is going to need to carry less talented teams than he's accustomed to. That hasn't ended well in the past. That's why I need to see it to get back on board.

To answer your question: who did Mahommes have on offense outside of Kelce last season? Brady made it work with Gronk, Welker and Edelman. What does a prime Brady do with the 2023 Cowboys roster? His only notable RB throughout his 20+ year career was an old Corey Dillon. Those guys also took team friendly deals to accumulate and keep talent, the opposite of what we've seen from Dak and his agent. Point being, if you want to talk about talent deficits, look at where the money is going and tell me how you'd fix it.
Dak needs 5 # 1 WR's to keep up with our defense against good teams.

Good teams take away a $30M WR. They neutralize a $30M pass rusher. What are we left to work with to win a game against a good team?

NE would rather have 4 # 2's than a #1 and 3 # 4's.

# 1 CB vs # 2 WR = loss none factor
# 2 CB vs # 2 WR = tie
# 3 CB vs # 2 WR = win
# 4 CB vs # 2 WR = exploitation

This is how NE Belichick and Brady dominated.

This is how you win as a TEAM.

GM Jethro wants flash, stats and records more than he wants to win a SB.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
GIkJLZpaQAEADsw.jpg

This right here is why you don't make Dak Prescott the highest payed anything in the NFL. When it comes down to it he isn't going to beat anyone with his arm. When the team needs him to win a game with his passing he does what he does best - CRAPPING THE BED.
Guy has one of the absolute worse percentages of ANY QB in the league when his team doesn’t have a 100 yard rusher. He’s worse that Andy Dalton and plenty of bottom feeders.