What is your primary feeling about the Saints game?

JBond

Reaction score
My overwhelming sense about this week's game against the New Orleans Saints is Curiosity. I am not particularly afraid the Cowboys will lose the game, but simultaneously would not be totally shocked if they do.

The Cowboys are playing a capable team in their own home field, captained by a former 1st round pick Quarterback with winning experience in the NFL. Bridgewater has an 18-12 record as a starter in the NFL, and has thrown for more touchdowns than interceptions. This Saints team should have been the NFC representative in last year's Superbowl, so they have more talent than their injured QB. They are a legitimate contender, even with Brees sidelined, and Bridgewater starting in his place. And the Saints are very motivated to avenge the embarassing loss they experienced last year at the hands of a rising Dallas team.

On the other hand, the Cowboys ARE a rising team. And all indications from the team are that they are still on the rise, and are much better this year than last year's team that dealt the loss to the Saints. Despite the hand-wringing by some fans, outside a couple of garbage time touchdowns, the defense is giving up only 10 points per game during the competitive phase of the game, and the offense is putting up triple that amount. This would be a tough game for the Saints to win even with Drew Brees still in the lineup.

So, my predominant feeling going into Sunday is curiosity. I want to know just how good this Cowboys team really is. And it will also be illuminating to find out just how good this Saints team is. Are they still the team that was one blown pass interference call away from being in the Super Bowl? Are they still really the class of the National Football Conference? Or have the Cowboys eclipsed the Saints, as the odds makers in Las Vegas seem to believe?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Nice job OP.

I am hoping for a game breaking performance from Zeke. Several break their backs type plays similar to the Steelers game.

JBond

Reaction score
Our O has been needing a test. And here she comes!!!!!

The Saints snuck up to 14th rated D in the NFL last season, 2nd vs the run, and then added Malcolm Brown and Mario Edwards, both valuable rotation guys.
Lol... had to do a quick Google search on Mario Edwards. Thought the name sounded very familiar. Time flies. It was 19 years ago we drafted his dad.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Curious describes it well because I want confirmation that what I've seen against these 3 poor teams is more because of the improvement of the QB and a better OC than the fact these are all top 5 drafters. The Cowboys didn't do anything to those teams the others teams didn't do so which is it? Are the Cowboys not just contenders but true contenders or is their record a reflection of the schedule?

The other element of this is the majority of ball played has not been good by most of the teams. They were slow coming out of the gate so we should start seeing the true contenders stepping up and for the Cowboys, that starts in a very tough place to play but they will have more fans present than other teams that play there so they can level out that homefield advantage the Saints usually enjoy.

And I've been on the lean to the Saints side because of the revenge factor, the Dome, it's the big game of the week and it's the Cowboys, a much detested team by the locals. If the information that half of the tickets are Cowboys fans, that could have the reverse effect of homefield effect. If you are a Cowboys player and see that many of your fans that made the trip from the neighboring state and not just home to get to this game, how much does that inspire you? If this is fact, those fans have turned the Dome into a neutral field and I have to rethink which team really has the advantage. Has this ever happened at a home Saints game in the Payton era? I don't think so.

I think the overriding thought I have is that this game really isn't defining anymore than that last game against them was. It's only the 4th game with a lot of ball and good teams yet to play. Win or lose, it doesn't change my mind that this is a good team as long as it can stay healthy. I do believe that the Dallas Cowboys are the most dependent team on their 22 starters of all the NFC contenders.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If Dallas comes out of the gate slow, this game could get out of hand. I am not convinced the defense is there yet. I think it will be at some point. But not yet.

This game hinges on getting to Bridgewater. They don't have a wealth of play makers on offense. Kamara certainly is a game changer. But they have Sean Payton, and I don't even think he knows how to clap.

For some reason I believe Dallas will have an easier time with Green Bay. Maybe because their defense cannot stop the run.

Most seasons I can control my anxiety about tough games. Maybe because I haven't seen the team as a contender recently.

But now that they have shown they can be good, I am a nervous wreck.

I think this game comes down to the last possession for Dallas. Dak has the fortitude to take the team on his back. But with a wounded Cooper, and no Gallup, can the running game rise up and carry the day if needed. I believe in the offensive line and surely believe in Zeke and Pollard. Perhaps this is the game where the Pizza Boy uses Pollard in the passing game. Dak needs to be pinpoint tomorrow with his passes.

I don't know if Dallas can win this.

catiii

Reaction score
My primary feeling is the Saints are over-rated posers just like this amateur and awfully bad New Orleans bar show.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a measuring stick. This is a game we should win if we think we have a contender.
I agree with that assessment. The Saints are not going to roll over like a whelp against a German Shepard, so we gotta bring it. My concern is about our defensive effort. Bend but don't break and look for improvement.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Nice job OP.

I am hoping for a game breaking performance from Zeke. Several break their backs type plays similar to the Steelers game.

I'm hoping for the same thing. I would like to see Zeke at the 2nd level of the Saints defense early and often.

Air Force One

Reaction score
We've finally arrived back at one of those "next step" games.

In the past we generally lose a game like this one. I'm really hoping this team is special and we're going to win in a big way.

T-RO

Reaction score
Only thing that scares me is them running the ball on us. If we stop the run we win the game.

For this one I tend to agree. Bridgewater doesn't scare me.

I also think Payton will have some trick plays ready. And special teams concerns me.

Mood: Guarded optimism.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lol... had to do a quick Google search on Mario Edwards. Thought the name sounded very familiar. Time flies. It was 19 years ago we drafted his dad.
He's the rotational type we should be looking for.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I see a tense game for a while because Kamara racks up double digit receptions and keeps the game close until the second half. Eventually the Saints can't keep up with the Boys O.

cowboyec

Reaction score
that if we don't fumble and stumble all over the place...we will win a tough ball game.

Eanwen

Reaction score
If Gallup was available we win by 15+. He's not so I'm nervous but I still think the Cowboys are the better team and will win.

Verdict

Reaction score
My overwhelming sense about this week's game against the New Orleans Saints is Curiosity. I am not particularly afraid the Cowboys will lose the game, but simultaneously would not be totally shocked if they do.

The Cowboys are playing a capable team in their own home field, captained by a former 1st round pick Quarterback with winning experience in the NFL. Bridgewater has an 18-12 record as a starter in the NFL, and has thrown for more touchdowns than interceptions. This Saints team should have been the NFC representative in last year's Superbowl, so they have more talent than their injured QB. They are a legitimate contender, even with Brees sidelined, and Bridgewater starting in his place. And the Saints are very motivated to avenge the embarassing loss they experienced last year at the hands of a rising Dallas team.

On the other hand, the Cowboys ARE a rising team. And all indications from the team are that they are still on the rise, and are much better this year than last year's team that dealt the loss to the Saints. Despite the hand-wringing by some fans, outside a couple of garbage time touchdowns, the defense is giving up only 10 points per game during the competitive phase of the game, and the offense is putting up triple that amount. This would be a tough game for the Saints to win even with Drew Brees still in the lineup.

So, my predominant feeling going into Sunday is curiosity. I want to know just how good this Cowboys team really is. And it will also be illuminating to find out just how good this Saints team is. Are they still the team that was one blown pass interference call away from being in the Super Bowl? Are they still really the class of the National Football Conference? Or have the Cowboys eclipsed the Saints, as the odds makers in Las Vegas seem to believe?

Is this a real test? We will know after the game which direction to move the goal posts. Tiger Woods can’t beat me at golf if I hold the pencil and keep score.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Looking forward to it.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Very insightfully concluded "line in the Sand" you've presented to us there JUMBO bro,in yer' O.P.,,, and,well? My go to ,hard-n-fast ,short barrelled, spoutin' 18" of spurtin' flames participating reply?,,,

K "the HAMMER" M is fixin' to fry these thunderstruck stuips bacon:yourock:

:dance:o_O:dance:

kskboys

Reaction score
Very insightfully concluded "line in the Sand" you've presented to us there JUMBO bro,in yer' O.P.,,, and,well? My go to ,hard-n-fast ,short barrelled, spoutin' 18" of spurtin' flames participating reply?,,,

K "the HAMMER" M is fixin' to fry these thunderstruck stuips bacon:yourock:

:dance:o_O:dance:
Nicccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccce!!!!!!!