What new technology seems like a step backward?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
All true, but it still seems like a step forward in technology. Though there are probably some new models that seem like a regression.

Also, operating systems on computers sometimes seem worse than the one before.
Yes. Windows 8 made me so mad that I switched to Kubuntu Linux, and I've been using it ever since. Microsoft fixed the main Win 8 problems starting with 8.1, and then Win 10 and 11 were a lot better, but I'm already firmly in the Kubuntu environment. Plus, Windows is still pretty crappy with privacy. There are a whole host of OS parameter changes that you need to make to nail down privacy. Most Linux distros are strong on privacy by default. My views on Windows evolution is as follows:

Win 3.1, okay, but crash prone, inferior to Mac
Win 95, improved interface, but crashes too much, still inferior to Mac
Win 98, basically 95 with minor tweaks.
Win ME, a total crash-prone disaster.
Win 2000, a lot more stable, but drivers not available for some things
Win XP, First really excellent version of Windows. Stable, and easy to use.
Win Vista, a disaster, slow-poke and annoying
Win 7, Vista fixed to be much, much better & stable. Very good.
Win 8, are you bleepin' kidding me? Still stable, but interface is ruined.
Win 8.1, fixed the main annoying thing of no start button.
Win 10, quite nice and stable, much better security, but privacy is problematic without many setting changes.
Win 11, same as above with a few minor interface changes.

Nowadays Windows is a fairly good OS, but I like my Kubuntu Linux better.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
They all have commercials now. And release new episodes every week sometimes splitting a season in half for a few months. Not dealing with that junk was the whole point of streaming benefits. :angry:
Which kills the main purpose of the streaming, which was to kill piracy somehow, just like Spotify did.

Now people prefer to do things not the right way.

Piracy is not about money it’s a service problem.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
Yes. Windows 8 made me so mad that I switched to Kubuntu Linux, and I've been using it ever since. Microsoft fixed the main Win 8 problems starting with 8.1, and then Win 10 and 11 were a lot better, but I'm already firmly in the Kubuntu environment. Plus, Windows is still pretty crappy with privacy. There are a whole host of OS parameter changes that you need to make to nail down privacy. Most Linux distros are strong on privacy by default. My views on Windows evolution is as follows:

Win 10, quite nice and stable, much better security, but privacy is problematic without many setting changes.

Windows Vista made me do a switch to Linux and MacOS.

SlammedZero

Reaction score

I used to joke that every other Windows seemed to suck. lol

Vista and 8 were the main offenders on that list IMO. Vista was a beautiful OS, but wow, it was a pile of you know what. I never had so many issues with an operating system in my life. Windows 8 was during the tablet craze, and for some reason, Microsoft thought it was a good idea to force that onto desktop users. I remember it being a pretty stable OS, but it made no sense on a desktop until the released 8.1. Even then it was meh.

XP was incredible. Still one of my favorites. I also loved 7 and am enjoying 10. My home desktop can't receive 11, but I have it at work, and it seems solid.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I used to joke that every other Windows seemed to suck. lol

Vista and 8 were the main offenders on that list IMO. Vista was a beautiful OS, but wow, it was a pile of you know what. I never had so many issues with an operating system in my life. Windows 8 was during the tablet craze, and for some reason, Microsoft thought it was a good idea to force that onto desktop users. I remember it being a pretty stable OS, but it made no sense on a desktop until the released 8.1. Even then it was meh.

XP was incredible. Still one of my favorites. I also loved 7 and am enjoying 10. My home desktop can't receive 11, but I have it at work, and it seems solid.
Yeah, I like XP, 7, and 10. I still occasionally run 7 on my Linux machine under VirtualBox. I have some old software that I still want to run every now and then. Even though 7 is discontinued, there's no risk for me. I have it locked down to never be able to access the Internet. Most of the time, I don't even run it and just stay in my Linux environment.

I know some people are now romanticizing the Windows 95/98 era, but I HATED those operating systems. Their interfaces were fine, but they were crash prone. I used to be so frustrated when I was working on something and the stupid machine would crash. If I had to go back in time and live in the 90s, I probably would just bite the bullet and buy one of those expensive Macs. I am working on a project where I'm going to turn an old netbook from about 2011 into a Mac OS 9 machine just for the fun of it.

triplets_93

Reaction score
In my 2020 vehicle, to force me to save gas, the car auto-shuts off when I pull up to a stop.

I can push a button to disengage this feature, but I have push the button each time I start the car. Iow, I am not allowed to make the auto-shutoff default to be "Off."

This is all to get the greatest amount of average gas mileage on the car's sticker... To help with this quest, my 2020 car came without a spare, no, not even a donut spare...

Further, my 2020 car came without a CD player. In it's place was an SD card slot. So, if I get an urge to listen to some music from one of the many CDs I have, I used to be able to just take that CD to the car, and pop it in and get my groove on.

But now, I would have to go to all of the trouble to download the CD onto my laptop, and then download that to my SD Card. The CD player is now only offered standard on the luxury version of my car.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In my 2020 vehicle, to force me to save gas, the car auto-shuts off when I pull up to a stop.

I can push a button to disengage this feature, but I have push the button each time I start the car. Iow, I am not allowed to make the auto-shutoff default to be "Off."

This is all to get the greatest amount of average gas mileage on the car's sticker... To help with this quest, my 2020 car came without a spare, no, not even a donut spare...

Further, my 2020 car came without a CD player. In it's place was an SD card slot. So, if I get an urge to listen to some music from one of the many CDs I have, I used to be able to just take that CD to the car, and pop it in and get my groove on.

But now, I would have to go to all of the trouble to download the CD onto my laptop, and then download that to my SD Card. The CD player is now only offered standard on the luxury version of my car.
This is why I downloaded Rocket Player on my phone. The lumber truck doesn't have a CD player, but it has Bluetooth, so I ripped over 300 CDs and added them to my phone.

triplets_93

Reaction score
This is why I downloaded Rocket Player on my phone. The lumber truck doesn't have a CD player, but it has Bluetooth, so I ripped over 300 CDs and added them to my phone.
I can do that also with BT, but I have not yet taken the effort to do that...

SlammedZero

Reaction score

My F-150 does this too. People seem to be so bothered by it, but it honestly doesn't bother me at all. I hardly even notice it anymore. It doesn't save MPG, but the way I look at it is that I am emitting zero CO2 when I'm sitting at lights, and I'm good with that.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

In some cars, you can press the button in and wedge an appropriately sized piece of cardboard in between the buttons, and it will stay pressed in and disable it semi-permanently.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
My F-150 does this too. People seem to be so bothered by it, but it honestly doesn't bother me at all. I hardly even notice it anymore. It doesn't save MPG, but the way I look at it is that I am emitting zero CO2 when I'm sitting at lights, and I'm good with that.
My only problem with it in my F150 is that there is a lag between the engine restarting and the electric power steering kicking in. No big deal coming straight off the line, but when you're coming hard out of a parking lot or side street on to a busy road it can definitely catch you by surprise.

rags747

Reaction score
So having to push a button to enable or disable something in a car is now considered too much work?! Dam, I can only imagine if you actually had to roll down a window manually!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
So having to push a button to enable or disable something in a car is now considered too much work?! Dam, I can only imagine if you actually had to roll down a window manually!
I know it sounds stupid, but my last car had the auto shut off feature. I was OK buying it because I figured I would either get used to it or how bad could pushing one little button be? I had that car for about two years and never got used to it. Every single time you forget to push that button until you get to a stop light and it shuts off. Really irritating when it's a hot summer day and the engine shuts off along with your A/C. Not sure if it was just an issue with my model or this is an ongoing issue with all cars with this feature but I went through batteries quick too. luckily Carvana offered me enough that it made sense to sell it.

I'd rather watch the old guys at the senior center do yoga than buy another car with the auto off feature.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure the engineering to start a car has improved since I used to work on my cars, but my biggest concern was overworking the starter. I've changed a few starters over the years and it seems the repeatedly starting an engine multiple times a day would shorten the starter motor life.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Having to press an "extra" button is a bridge to far. In this age of automation that sucks.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
One thing I don't think I like is all the safety features on new cars these days. I was driving the other day on the freeway and my car automatically engaged the brakes hard when it was completely unnecessary. It always flashes "brake now" when it senses I'm too close to the vehicle in front of me, but I didn't know it even had the auto brake system. It was really unsettling. It also has the lane assist feature where it will push back on the steering if it thinks I'm drifting out of my lane. Sometimes that engages for no reason, and I hate it. I need to dig through the manual because I can probably turn these things off.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My only problem with it in my F150 is that there is a lag between the engine restarting and the electric power steering kicking in. No big deal coming straight off the line, but when you're coming hard out of a parking lot or side street on to a busy road it can definitely catch you by surprise.
What happens if you keep your foot slightly on the accelerator?