What one guy do you really want the Cowboys to draft? (realistically)

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
From NFL.com:

Sources Tell Us "Grady will take you on a ride when he gets into you. I think grades on him will really vary since the only real fit for him is in a 1-gap 4-3 defense on the nose. Teams will beat him up over his size, but someone is going to get a good football player with him." -- NFC North scout

Bottom Line
Jarrett is built like a refrigerator, but he's hardly a stationary player. He lacks the overall size to be considered as a nose by most base 3-4 teams, but he's a perfect shade-nose fit for teams looking for a disruptor in a one-gap, penetrating front.

Brugler:

SUMMARY: A barrel-chested bowling ball, Jarrett didn’t have the production of Vic Beasley or Stephone Anthony in Clemson’s front-seven, but the coaches say he was the glue of the Tigers’ defense – nonstop hustler with the desire, training habits and attitude to out-work everyone in the locker room. He grew up around the NFL game and benefited from the tutelage of his father (Jessie Tuggle) and adopted uncle (Ray Lewis). He has a “little tea cup” skill-set (short and stout) with a wrestling background, using his initial quickness, natural leverage and pad level to attack gaps and win angles. Jarrett is limited to a one-gap scheme and lacks the brute strength to overwhelm blockers, but projects as a poor man’s Aaron Donald, shooting gaps and disrupting the backfield – fits best as a three-technique defensive tackle in a four-man front.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did see that he was used mainly against the run. I question the coaching staff for not opening his atheticism up and also question if he has it in him. He was there for what 3 years? I'm not saying that he can't develop it But it's hard to justify what type of player he is and what round you want to take a chance on an "athletic run stopper" with the athletic ability to be the greatest pass rusher in the draft. It just doesn't make any sense to me. He is young and athletic and I'd support him being drafted but only in the ealry-mid 3rd where he'll be taken. Problem is we don't have one to begin with.

It's an unusual issue with him. Normally guys with his size measurable(s) are pass rushers but have big questions about their ability to play the run. He is obviously the opposite.

Over the years many teams have taken chances on freak athletes that didn't have great college production early in the 1st round. Taking a chance at #60 wouldn't be that big of an issue to me. I think Marinelli can look at his film and have a really good idea on whether he can or can't be effective rushing the passer. I would love to have the cut-ups where you can just view all of his actual all out pass rushes because I'm sure that would be more informative on this player than just watching 3 full games.

A big key, IMO, with these LSU players is their mental makeup. They've had several that just didn't have the correct mental makeup. Sometimes that's tricky because Spears had good character but Parcells pointed out right after the draft that his college HC told him that Spears had a tendency to get fat. It turned out that Spears kept his weight in check until Parcells was replaced by Wade and then Spears ballooned up. The wonderlic alone should have been a warning on Claiborne's mental makeup. His explanation was worse than if he was just dumb. He said he didn't try which in retrospect was a sign that he didn't do well with any adversity which we've seen.

I agree that if Hunter was available with the Cowboys 3rd round pick that he was almost have to be the pick because of the potential high upside; however, I find myself thinking the same thing about many players in terms of I think them better a round or 1/2 round later than where they will probably get drafted.