What one guy do you really want the Cowboys to draft? (realistically)

BoysWin

Reaction score
I am glad to see they are cold on both him and Abdullah.

Not that either are bad players, hardly the case.

Just the fit is so important with the RB we choose.

We have to get it right to continue with the run identity we finally established last season.

Just plugging someone into a "committee" would be a complete disaster.

#27 - Gurley
>45 - Melvin Gordon
#60 - Tevin Coleman
#91 - Jay Ajay, David Johnson, Langford, TJ Yeldon, Buck Allen
R4 - Cam Artis-Payne
R5 - Malcom Brown
R7/UDFA - John Crockett

Gurley - the RB since AD
Melvin Gordon - polished and proven runner. Can do it all.
Tevin Coleman - smaller but faster DeMarco Murray
Jay Train, Langford - (i pass)
David Johnson - intrigues me the most. Played at UNI, otherwise - looks like a poor' man's OJ Simpson. i like DJohnson, alot.
TJ Yeldon - proven runner. Buck Allen - is their some Marcus Allen, there?
Cam Artis-Payne - reminds me of Emmit Smith
Malcolm Brown - a better MBIII and never fumbles
John Crockett, NDSU - the Tazmanian Devil - an agry Eddie George

I'd be real happy waiting to Rd3/4/5 and get another back or Trade a Rd3/4 pick from 2016, since DAL will likely cash-in on numerous Compensatory picks in 2016

Coleman, Yeldon, Buck Allen, Malcolm Brown look good to me R3-R5. Coleman as a tradeup in R3 like would be a great value.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Me and you may be the only guys that like him. Athletic freak. Great attitude, work ethic motor and intensity. Already an NFL ready run stuffer, just needs a coach to properly teach him how to rush the QB

I want to like Hunter but his athletic ability and low sack production is a concern. Maybe a Demarcus Ware type. Talking about that kind guy that goes about his business kind of guy. That and without the pass rush skills or fire to dominate the person in front of him. I really wanted to like Hunter; not so much anymore.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Marcus Peters-1st round.
Duke Johnson 3rd/4th round.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
You know you won't get just a ONE player answer. Here is my round 2-5 "realistic" 3 player wish list starting with the 2nd just because I am hoping for Gurley to drop to us. :)

Rd.2: Tevin Coleman/P.J.Williams/Q.Rollins

Rd.3: Paul Dawson/Eric Rowe/Marcus Hardison

Rd.4: Jeremiah Poutsasi/Stefon Diggs/Chris Conley/T.Y. Montgomery

Rd. 5: Mark Glowinski/Anthony Chickillo/Frank Clark

Last edited:

Spectre

Reaction score
Just about any rb not named Ajayi. Let someone else reach for that guy.

A lot of folks (here) are sleeping on how good Gordon is (compared with Gurley).
Duke Johnson & Ameer Abdullah are being (foolishly) overlooked; due to size?
T.J. Yeldon has 'it', in my opinion. Not sure about Coleman, not crazy about him.
Mike Davis and Jay Ajayi (if taken in the first 3 rounds) are gonna bust.

Last edited:

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
I'd absolutely love the cowboys to get Marcus peters from Washington. Todd gurley would make me excited also. But only if they are available at 27. As for the 2nd round pick I would love for safeties Eric Rowe or demarious Randall to be available to us there. That is my greatest situation for first two picks

VACowboy

Reaction score
You know you won't get just a ONE player answer. Here is my round 2-5 "realistic" 3 player wish list starting with the 2nd just because I am hoping for Gurley to drop to us. :)

Rd.2: Tevin Coleman/P.J.Williams/Q.Rollins

Rd.3: Paul Dawson/Eric Rowe/Marcus Hardison

Rd.4: Jeremiah Poutsasi/Stefon Diggs/Chris Conley/T.Y. Montgomery

Rd. 5: Mark Glowinski/Anthony Chickillo/Frank Clark

Nice list.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to like Hunter but his athletic ability and low sack production is a concern. Maybe a Demarcus Ware type. Talking about that kind guy that goes about his business kind of guy. That and without the pass rush skills or fire to dominate the person in front of him. I really wanted to like Hunter; not so much anymore.

Watch him in some complete games and I think you'll see why his sacks were low. He was rarely in an all out pass rush for whatever reason. They had him really focused on the run and he had coverage if the RB went anywhere near his side. He would even hold up if the RB was just coming up to the line to block on his side. He even appeared to have coverage on the RB some times when the RB leaked out in the middle of the line.

He also appeared to hold up his rush if there was any chance of the RB rolling out to run to his side. If it appeared to be a pass to his side he was more likely to hold up and go for the block, than to rush.

I don't know how good of a pass rusher he will or won't be, but just going by the stats is misleading.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is the first time I've seen Grady Jarrett mentioned as a 1 tech. Just curious where you saw that.

Jarrett projects as a 3 tech, short and stout and limited to a one gap scheme.

Perfect fit as a 3-tech, could rotate with Crawford.

From NFL.com:

Sources Tell Us "Grady will take you on a ride when he gets into you. I think grades on him will really vary since the only real fit for him is in a 1-gap 4-3 defense on the nose. Teams will beat him up over his size, but someone is going to get a good football player with him." -- NFC North scout

Bottom Line
Jarrett is built like a refrigerator, but he's hardly a stationary player. He lacks the overall size to be considered as a nose by most base 3-4 teams, but he's a perfect shade-nose fit for teams looking for a disruptor in a one-gap, penetrating front.

Woods

Reaction score
Round 1 Malcolm Brown or Kevin Johnson, but more likely get Kendricks at LB, which is fine
Round 2 Yeldon at RB or D Randall at S or E Rowe at CB
Round 3 Josh Shaw at CB or Mike Davis at RB
Round 4 Frank Clark at DE or Chris Conley at WR
Round 5 T Thompson at OT or S Diggs at WR
Round 7 J Poutasi, Obum Gwacham, or Chaz Green

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
I would love to grab Marcus peters/ Kevin Johnson as the first pick and the 2nd pick take Eric Rowe or Damarious Randall. That would give us two great talents in the backend for years to come. #3 would be nice for Grady Jarrett and pick #4 we could get the best available running back possibly buck Allen from usc.

Plankton

Reaction score
Offense: David Johnson, Tyrus Thompson, Shane Carden, Rashad Greene
Defense: Marcus Hardison, JaCorey Shepherd, Quinten Rollins

ghst187

Reaction score
Shaq Mason, G Georgia Tech. He's my pet cat this year.

Like him a lot late and i think we need a guard honestly, he is a mauler.

My first round cats are offense: Gurley, defense Malcolm brown.

Later I want Hardison, Conley, Gwacham, Coleman

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Watch him in some complete games and I think you'll see why his sacks were low. He was rarely in an all out pass rush for whatever reason. They had him really focused on the run and he had coverage if the RB went anywhere near his side. He would even hold up if the RB was just coming up to the line to block on his side. He even appeared to have coverage on the RB some times when the RB leaked out in the middle of the line.

He also appeared to hold up his rush if there was any chance of the RB rolling out to run to his side. If it appeared to be a pass to his side he was more likely to hold up and go for the block, than to rush.

I don't know how good of a pass rusher he will or won't be, but just going by the stats is misleading.

I did see that he was used mainly against the run. I question the coaching staff for not opening his atheticism up and also question if he has it in him. He was there for what 3 years? I'm not saying that he can't develop it But it's hard to justify what type of player he is and what round you want to take a chance on an "athletic run stopper" with the athletic ability to be the greatest pass rusher in the draft. It just doesn't make any sense to me. He is young and athletic and I'd support him being drafted but only in the ealry-mid 3rd where he'll be taken. Problem is we don't have one to begin with.

tm1119

Reaction score
Owa. If he's on the board at 27 it would be a no brainer for me.