What One Player Could Put Us Over The Hump?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
FLcowboy;3845643 said:
I'd like to see three receivers on the Cowboys that could match up with Green Bay's receivers.

We have one receiver named Dez Bryant who'll be better than any receiver they have if he can stay healthy and you can mark that down!

Are you telling me the receivers the Cowboys have aren't good enough to win a championship with? Green Bay has terrific receivers but it all starts with their trigger man.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
This team is not even close to being one player away.

The fronts on offense and defense are in bad shape.

Igor Olshansky and Mark Colombo have no business starting, and they are under contract, with no replacement on the team. That doesn't count the LG who has a recent injury history and turns 33 next this fall and is a free agent. If Leonard Davis plays like he did in the first 8 games, you have the always getting hurt and immobile and expensive Montrae Holland. Paying him and forking over a 5th was a bad move.

There is no FS on this team under contract unless you want to count on AOA. The SS is a free agent. The LT will be either free or restricted, and he has no backup. Oh, yeah. He has Sam Young.

I don't think Colombo could start for anyone else in the NFL, and most teams would view Olshansky's tape and cut him and sign or draft someone else or both. The team lacks depth and two starters on the offensive line, and the defensive line has it's poorest player under contract, while the other three guys are free agents.

I'd draft an OT in round 1 and take care of my skill players on offense. Those are the players who will ultimately determine how far the Cowboys go. I'd invest in my offensive skill players who are the strength of the team. I'd make them stronger by taking Smith or Sherrod. It would also give me Free's backup in 2010 (if Free is still on the team). If Free goes down, this team is done.

That is another thing. This OT free agency class is very weak, and if Free becomes unrestricted, he quite possibly may get a crazy offer, an offer that he really isn't worth, imo. If you draft an OT, you at least have some leverage on Free if free agency has not occurred, yet.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Clove;3845553 said:
How many years are we going to keep saying this non sense about we're 1 player away?

It's the politically correct thing to say so you don't depress any of the optimists here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
burmafrd;3845611 said:
Rodgers stands in there and will take a sack at times. Romo doesn't if he can help it. But at the same time running around trying to avoid sacks is not a great way to make plays.

Rodgers will take the sack instead of making a bad decision like we see Romo do a lot. Take the sack throw it away but don't turn the ball over.

Romo has made some of his best plays running around trying to avoid sacks and he's also made some of his absolute worst plays doing that.

He'll lose track of where defenders are and it's resulted in him losing a lot of fumbles and forcing throws.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3845040 said:
He wasnt 100% so he decided to guess wrong on every play.

Come back to us Troy

http://img818.*************/img818/6470/woopsers.png

:laugh2: You know how they say ignorance is bliss? Ignorance just feels like bliss, its still simple stupidity at the core.

dwmyers

Reaction score
burmafrd;3845270 said:
FS the one position we do not even have a guy we HOPE can get the job done. The OLine guys have said they think that Sam Young is a possible at RT. At FS, there is some bleating about AOA but only from internet experts. Nothing else.
RT is a close second.

:hammer:

There are some excellent FS prospects available in round 2.

Super Bowl class RTs can be had in round 4. Witness Ryan Diem.

David.

burmafrd

Reaction score
KJJ;3845674 said:
Rodgers will take the sack instead of making a bad decision like we see Romo do a lot. Take the sack throw it away but don't turn the ball over.

Romo has made some of his best plays running around trying to avoid sacks and he's also made some of his absolute worst plays doing that.

He'll lose track of where defenders are and it's resulted in him losing a lot of fumbles and forcing throws.

Really. Would you care to look over the last couple of years at the number of turnovers that Rodgers has vs Romo?

burmafrd

Reaction score
In the last three years Tony Romo has had 30 INTs and 7 fumbles lost
Aaron Rodgers in the last three years has 31 INTS and 10 Fumbles lost.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd;3845742 said:

Yet, you fail to mention that Rodgers has played 47 games to Romo's 35 (in that 3 year period) and has just one more interception in that time span.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
burmafrd;3845735 said:
Really. Would you care to look over the last couple of years at the number of turnovers that Rodgers has vs Romo?

Can't believe you want to go there but here goes! LOL Romo played less than 6 games last season and had 7 int's.

He was on pace for 21 picks in 16 games and it's anyones guess how many fumbles he would have lost.

In 21 games the past two "regular" seasons Romo's had 20 turnovers. In 31 games the past 2 seasons Rodgers had 23 turnovers.

You're looking at all the balls he had on the turf in 09 from those 50 sacks he suffered. He "lost" 4 of those fumbles.

Rodgers played 10 more games and only had 3 more turnovers than Romo so what exactly is your point? LOL

Do you honestly believe had Romo played 10 more games he wouldn't have turned the ball over a few more times? :rolleyes:

Some of you need to put your Cowboy bias aside for a second and be objective for once.

A few of you suffer from the same disease Jerry and Wade have suffered from.

Nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism. That's exactly what some of the players on the team need instead of being told how wonderful they all are.

burmafrd

Reaction score
No you suffer from a disease known as thinking just because you say something its the truth.

Tony also had a much worse HC. As we saw this year, and frankly most have seen for a couple of years. Aaron Rodgers also had a much better defense this year and for a lot of last year. So he was not having to come from behind as much as Tony has had to.

So if you want to be honest there is no real evidence that Tony is more prone to turnovers then Rodgers is. You can claim all you want at what would have happened this year and you HAVE NOTHING to back it up but the fact that you don't like Romo.

Now with a better coach and hopefully a better O line next year we shall see. And I am willing to bet that just like the last few years there will be little difference at the final stats between Tony Romo and Aaron Rodgers.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
burmafrd;3845742 said:

Rodgers lost 8 fumbles the past 3 seasons with the help of 115 sacks.

Romo's lost 13 fumbles the past 3 seasons from only 61 sacks.

In the past 3 regular seasons Romo has 41 turnovers compared 39 turnovers for Rodgers.

Before you get too excited Rodgers 39 turnovers came in 47 games and Romo's 41 turnovers came in 35 games.

You and a few others who refuse to see no evil and hear no evil can scoff all you want but the numbers don't lie and we've seen where it's led both of these QB's. :toast:

burmafrd

Reaction score
and you are blind to what Mark Twain said: there are lies, damn lies, then there are statistics.

You cherry pick your facts to prove you don't like Romo. Whoopee. I pointed out that Rodgers had a much better Coach and this year a much better Defense. And guess what? How many playoff games has Rodgers won BEFORE this year?

Kind of makes your "facts" meaningless.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No surprise the one who's crying the loudest has a Romo avatar. :laugh2:

gbrittain

Reaction score
burmafrd;3845804 said:
and you are blind to what Mark Twain said: there are lies, damn lies, then there are statistics.

You cherry pick your facts to prove you don't like Romo. Whoopee. I pointed out that Rodgers had a much better Coach and this year a much better Defense. And guess what? How many playoff games has Rodgers won BEFORE this year?

Kind of makes your "facts" meaningless.

Not to knock Rodgers, because I think highly of him, but he did cost the Packers in the playoffs by holding the ball too long and taking a sack and fumbling the ball away for a TD. Romo would be crucified for that play among the hater crowd.

perrykemp

Reaction score
gbrittain;3845812 said:
Not to knock Rodgers, because I think highly of him, but he did cost the Packers in the playoffs by holding the ball too long and taking a sack and fumbling the ball away for a TD. Romo would be crucified for that play among the hater crowd.

True, however you failed to mention he threw for 4 TD passes, 400 Yards, and ran for another TD up to that point.

I can't much blame Rogers when his defense gave up 45 points leading up to that sack.