What options do Cowboys have to move on from Prescott?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Why do some teams have options and move on from contracts and be fine and other teams only option is to cave in to average players
Stephen won’t let it happen.

It would wreck our cap for a decade.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Jerry Jones will decide when a new deal with Dak Prescott will be executed. Dak and his representation will decide how much the compensation will be and the duration of the deal. It will exceed Burrows’ deal with Cincinnati.
Time is running out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Best option in my opinion is to trade a player, don't let them walk for nothing. Don't let them extort you for money, because you have no back up plan. Offer a fair and reasonable contract, if they don't want it, trade them.

Zeke never should have been extended.

In Jeruh's case don't be afraid of letting your jersey sales go down.

Everyone knows Jeruh will cave on his big name players.
Right and why we shouldn’t get so worked up over it. We have the best excuse in NFL for failing. Our owner. Lol

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I agree 100%. I think that was the intent with creating the 3rd emergency QB. QB's need to be developed. Simple supply vs demand. Increase the supply and pricing will start to go down.
The intent was to avoid a situation where both of a team’s quarterbacks go down with an injury and the team is forced to use a player that’s not a quarterback to play an important position. It takes away from the game. The “third QB rule” was set up so there can be a 3rd QB available without using up a spot on of the 48 player game roster.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The intent was to avoid a situation where both of a team’s quarterbacks go down with an injury and the team is forced to use a player that’s not a quarterback to play an important position. It takes away from the game. The “third QB rule” was set up so there can be a 3rd QB available without using up a spot on of the 48 player game roster.
A lot of teams did not have a 3rd QB, so it was also to develop them. Huge drop off from starter to back up to a WR playing emergency QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I never understood the idea of having a roster size limitation with a Salary Cap.

Blitzen

Reaction score
How?

Regulation? I thought internet boards were all ant-regulation?

Be the first guy to trailblaze by canning decent bus drivers and not paying unless the player is Mahommes? How many QBs show they are elite before second contract is due? Hardly any QBs win the Super Bowl before their first contract is up, which is the internets favorite measuring stick.

All these posters claiming to get rid of Dak because he isnt worth it would be the first to complain if Dallas needed a QB, Purdy was up for grabs to the highest bidder but Dallas didnt pay. They would grab pitchforks and scream Jerry is a cheap skate.

Decent QB play is a sought after commodity that willing and able buyers big spend on. Gripe that its out of control, but most here would be writing a large check for Purdy's services if he was available to the highest bidder. Or complain that Jerry was a cheap skate for passing on Purdy.

I just dont think the numbers agree with Trailblazing when it comes to QBs and pay if there were real jobs on the line. You have to believe that the College product is so good now a days with coaching that you can plug and play QBs easier. You would have to not be afraid of losing a great job with great pay and benefits.

Toughest job in Sports and internet forums want to skimp on paying the player lol

good is bad is good is bad is good is bad is good is bad
There are teams that move on from QB’s that have a track record of making the playoffs. Alex Smith to Pat Mahomes, Jimmy Garropolo to Trey Lance to Brock Purdy, Russell Wilson to Geno Smith, Aaron Rodgers to Jordan Love. It is not widespread, but it happens because a team is ready to get someone younger (and/or likely cheaper) and when a player seems to have reached their ceiling (Alex Smith and Garropolo).

GM’s for most teams must rapidly show great success and progress so that they do not get fired (not an issue here). Better teams are more patient with the GM and coaching staff-but eventually the time will come that ownership will want to see a deep playoff run (and will fire the incumbents (GM’s and coaches and core players) if it does not eventually happen or they have an off year.

This franchise operates differently. There is no ultimatum. The team can go decades with a quarterback or coach with zero deep playoff runs and the team does not move on. One thing that does benefit Jerry and his way of doing things is that the slow and steady approach delivers pretty consistent results once the major infrastructure is in place. The offensive line rebuild that started with Tyron all those years ago is still somewhat intact, and Dak has been the major beneficiary of it for his entire career (even some of the off years were nothing like the 3 years preceding 2011).

Which other teams (post salary cap) have started and extended the same QB for 8 years or more, if the team never made it past the divisional round in any of those years? My cut off would be six years for any QB-make it to a conference championship game otherwise no extension. You could do the 5 year rookie contract plus an extra year on the franchise tag (for first rounders).

DuncanIso

Reaction score
There are teams that move on from QB’s that have a track record of making the playoffs. Alex Smith to Pat Mahomes, Jimmy Garropolo to Trey Lance to Brock Purdy, Russell Wilson to Geno Smith, Aaron Rodgers to Jordan Love. It is not widespread, but it happens because a team is ready to get someone younger (and/or likely cheaper) and when a player seems to have reached their ceiling (Alex Smith and Garropolo).

GM’s for most teams must rapidly show great success and progress so that they do not get fired (not an issue here). Better teams are more patient with the GM and coaching staff-but eventually the time will come that ownership will want to see a deep playoff run (and will fire the incumbents (GM’s and coaches and core players) if it does not eventually happen or they have an off year.

This franchise operates differently. There is no ultimatum. The team can go decades with a quarterback or coach with zero deep playoff runs and the team does not move on. One thing that does benefit Jerry and his way of doing things is that the slow and steady approach delivers pretty consistent results once the major infrastructure is in place. The offensive line rebuild that started with Tyron all those years ago is still somewhat intact, and Dak has been the major beneficiary of it for his entire career (even some of the off years were nothing like the 3 years preceding 2011).

Which other teams (post salary cap) have started and extended the same QB for 8 years or more, if the team never made it past the divisional round in any of those years? My cut off would be six years for any QB-make it to a conference championship game otherwise no extension. You could do the 5 year rookie contract plus an extra year on the franchise tag (for first rounders).
It’s time to go with Lance.

Dak = failure

Sandyf

Reaction score
Wow, guess a lot of Cowboy fans would rather see Cowboys go 5-12 instead of 12-5. Like it or not Dak is still a top 10 QB. There is never a guarantee on a QB taken in the draft or one traded for seeing as there is always a reason a player is traded. Sure maybe Lance works out but it is 50-50 at best. Drafting one means a lot of draft capital to move up which hurts the next few years i.e. Chicago/Carolina.

All in if true doesn't mean taking a chance on a rookie QB or an unknown like Lance. It means fixing the areas of need i.e. OL, DT, MLB. If anyone thinks blowing it us is "all in" as Jerry has promised then that is pretty delusional. Blowing it up means you fired your coach, first and foremost then parting ways with any good player you can get decent draft picks in this year's draft. There is no indication of any of that happening.

You might not care for Dak but Cowboys are going to ride with him at least in 2024 and more than likely for several years after 2024.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Wow, guess a lot of Cowboy fans would rather see Cowboys go 5-12 instead of 12-5. Like it or not Dak is still a top 10 QB. There is never a guarantee on a QB taken in the draft or one traded for seeing as there is always a reason a player is traded. Sure maybe Lance works out but it is 50-50 at best. Drafting one means a lot of draft capital to move up which hurts the next few years i.e. Chicago/Carolina.

All in if true doesn't mean taking a chance on a rookie QB or an unknown like Lance. It means fixing the areas of need i.e. OL, DT, MLB. If anyone thinks blowing it us is "all in" as Jerry has promised then that is pretty delusional. Blowing it up means you fired your coach, first and foremost then parting ways with any good player you can get decent draft picks in this year's draft. There is no indication of any of that happening.

You might not care for Dak but Cowboys are going to ride with him at least in 2024 and more than likely for several years after 2024.
Trance was a mistake. Dak will be extended. End of story.

GINeric

Reaction score
Cousins is a better QB talent. If all in means all in, then on with it.

Cousins career win/loss record is 78-70-2.

Prescott's career win/loss record is 73-41.

In what world is Cousins a better quarterback in any kind of way? According to what?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Why do some teams have options and move on from contracts and be fine and other teams only option is to cave in to average players
Its called planning.

Other teams have a plan in place for moving on, the Rams moved Goff to get Stafford, the Eagles moved Wentz and drafted Hurts, the Packers drafted Love so they could move on from Rogers, ect...

The only thing the Cowboys have done is trade a 4th round pick for a former top 5 pick that flamed out with his previous team and is in the last year of his contract.

Most would agree that this is not an adequate plan that would allow the team to move on from Dak.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Cousins career win/loss record is 78-70-2.

Prescott's career win/loss record is 73-41.

In what world is Cousins a better quarterback in any kind of way? According to what?
Yeah, I have a hard time taking anybody serious that suggest Cousins is better than Dak.

How many times has Cousins taken his team past the Divisional round (since this seems to be the new standard for if a QB is trash or not).

Cousins has played for Washington and Minnesota and correct me if I am wrong, but I dont recall either one of those teams being in the NFCCG with Cousins as the QB. So, again, how exactly is he an upgrade over what we currently have?

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Cowboy fans.

This isn’t about what we think we should do but what options do you think our ownership is looking at.
I really don't think they've looked at anything other than extending him right now. No second-guessing, no hardball. Jerry didn't blink an eye at the most humiliating playoff defeat in our history. He's cold as ice, and he will have no issue crippling us for the next few years so long as we remain somewhat in the discussion. As always, we win "Jerry's Way", or no way.