What options do Cowboys have to move on from Prescott?

LysleE

Reaction score
Jerry's plan B was signing Trance.

If it was a legit plan B, he would have been moved up to back up QB at some point last year.
Agreed…if it was a legit plan B give the guy some reps to see what you have. We know what Cooper Rush can and cannot do.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agreed…if it was a legit plan B give the guy some reps to see what you have. We know what Cooper Rush can and cannot do.
Do you think he is not being evaluated at practice every day?

leeblair

Reaction score
The NFL should devalue the quarterback position.
They don't have to fear the big hits that quarterbacks in the early nineties had to. They don't even wear knee pads anymore.
Basically they are playing two hand touch with the quarterback, so any school yard kid with a good arm could succeed in today's NFL as a quarterback.
Makes you wonder......

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Part of me still says if we could build a smothering defense, one that could hold the fort down until Dak calms down in these big games, the Cowboy's could make some noise in the Superbowl. We won against Brady and the Bucs, albeit Brady wasn't his old self, but the big game spotlight was still shining, and on the road no less. It's a question of are we closer to finding a blue chip QB or a defense that's downright smothering.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Jerry Jones will decide when a new deal with Dak Prescott will be executed. Dak and his representation will decide how much the compensation will be and the duration of the deal. It will exceed Burrows’ deal with Cincinnati.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
They don't have to fear the big hits that quarterbacks in the early nineties had to. They don't even wear knee pads anymore.
Basically they are playing two hand touch with the quarterback, so any school yard kid with a good arm could succeed in today's NFL as a quarterback.
Makes you wonder......
How?

Regulation? I thought internet boards were all ant-regulation?

Be the first guy to trailblaze by canning decent bus drivers and not paying unless the player is Mahommes? How many QBs show they are elite before second contract is due? Hardly any QBs win the Super Bowl before their first contract is up, which is the internets favorite measuring stick.

All these posters claiming to get rid of Dak because he isnt worth it would be the first to complain if Dallas needed a QB, Purdy was up for grabs to the highest bidder but Dallas didnt pay. They would grab pitchforks and scream Jerry is a cheap skate.

Decent QB play is a sought after commodity that willing and able buyers big spend on. Gripe that its out of control, but most here would be writing a large check for Purdy's services if he was available to the highest bidder. Or complain that Jerry was a cheap skate for passing on Purdy.

I just dont think the numbers agree with Trailblazing when it comes to QBs and pay if there were real jobs on the line. You have to believe that the College product is so good now a days with coaching that you can plug and play QBs easier. You would have to not be afraid of losing a great job with great pay and benefits.

Toughest job in Sports and internet forums want to skimp on paying the player lol

good is bad is good is bad is good is bad is good is bad

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Not going to read 17 pages, so this may have already been said.

A. Dak is going to get extended, his entire contract was constructed so it could be used to free up cap space for others like Lamb and Parsons. If you dont extend Dak, nobody else gets paid either.

B. The idea that Lance (the #3 overall pick who Shanny traded for a bag of Doritos) is going to take over for Dak and play at an MVP level......LOLLLLLLLLL.....sorry, couldnt help myself there. If Shanny watches you every day in practice for 2 years and decides a bag of Doritos and a 6-pack of Dr. Pepper is worth more, that sends up red flags for me bro.

C. Kurt Cousins or Baker Mayfield is not an upgrade over Dak, hard for me to take anybody seriously that says otherwise.

D. If you move on from Dak, you are blowing up the roster and going full rebuild. Hey, I am cool with that, but that is not what Jerry is going to do after saying "I'm all in".

ICP

Reaction score
Zip, zilch, zero, nada, he will get extended and you will like it! Well, even if you don't you'll have to deal with it

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Makes you wonder......
The QB is like the lead actor and top billing in a film or sitcom. That’s entertainment!!

As long as the revenue continues growing and Cap increasing salaries are going up.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Makes you wonder......
I agree 100%. I think that was the intent with creating the 3rd emergency QB. QB's need to be developed. Simple supply vs demand. Increase the supply and pricing will start to go down.

MistyAnn

Reaction score
We-have-to-take-a-gamble-on-the-unknown-to-land-the-next-Dynasty.
Amazingly-KC-managed-to-do-this.
Dak-will-not-get-any-better,and-is-currently-not-good-enough.
We-would-better-put-millions-into-the-LB's-and-DL,
I-won't-miss-Dak's-play,I-want-to-see-the-Defense-get-scary-first.
Who-we-move-onto-at-QB-I-couldn't-care-less,its-hit-and-miss-trial-and-error,but-the-Defense-can-be-assembled-scientifically.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I agree 100%. I think that was the intent with creating the 3rd emergency QB. QB's need to be developed. Simple supply vs demand. Increase the supply and pricing will start to go down.
Are teams still hamstrung based on practice snap counts?

And teams still never put 2nd stringer in when its a blowout. Never understood this well.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Are teams still hamstrung based on practice snap counts?

And teams still never put 2nd stringer in when its a blowout. Never understood this well.
The reality of it is, college football is where QB's get most of their experience. The NFL is more about fine tuning and getting used to the increased game speed.

A back up is not going to develop getting 3% of the practice snaps with the starters, never mind the emergency QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why do some teams have options and move on from contracts and be fine and other teams only option is to cave in to average players
Best option in my opinion is to trade a player, don't let them walk for nothing. Don't let them extort you for money, because you have no back up plan. Offer a fair and reasonable contract, if they don't want it, trade them.

Zeke never should have been extended.

In Jeruh's case don't be afraid of letting your jersey sales go down.

Everyone knows Jeruh will cave on his big name players.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Only a fool moves on from a winning QB without his replacement in the wings or an already agreed to deal.
The Cowboys moved on from Cooper without a WR ready to replace him and without a WR to be #2 if Lamb became #1.
The Cowboys moved on from Elliott without his replacement in place when we need to grind out 2-3 yards.

They cannot move on from Dak this year, but they could move on next summer by letting him play at 59 million this year. I don’t believe they have any plan to move on from him because they have done nothing to prepare at QB.

You can forfeit a season or two when you make such foolish moves at WR, RB, LB. But moving on from a winning QB without a plan can sacrifice many years. When you have a good QB who hasn’t proven to be elite, you need to build around him. We will never know what Dak and CeeDee could have done in the playoffs if the Cowboys had simply had a power inside runner and some real LBs on the roster this season. Every team has injuries that can ruin a season’s outcome, but I feel it has been the fault of the roster makeup the past two seasons.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zip, zilch, zero, nada, he will get extended and you will like it! Well, even if you don't you'll have to deal with it
Then what’s taking so long?

March 13 will be here soon.

#CutDown