What options do Cowboys have to move on from Prescott?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Oh he knows his faults, remember the comment he made about firing himself years ago?

He HAS to win a SB with himself as the owner and general manager. Nothing else is acceptable to Jerry. I believe deep inside he knows he can't do it, but giving control to someone else, he just can't do....
Of course he can't or he would have to relive the Jimmy Johnson era all over again. Jeruh has learned nothing.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Coward, not quite.
Naw, ya see I served to protect the free speech you're enjoying to insult me on a message board. So you're welcome.
As to any other response to your delusional psychedelic post here...
Don't smoke crack.
Its all built on a lie

Blame me though

Im definitely the bad guy in all of this. Most definitely.

Chasing6

Reaction score
According to these guys, there are not SB winning teams. Only SB winning QB's.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Then ask yourself how many other QBs in the league would have achieved similar stats with this roster including a dominant defense and a kicker who was automatic during the regular season playing mostly really bad teams particularly with horrific pass defenses?
I have no idea, and you don't either. There are a lot of teams with talent and who played bad teams and there QBs didn't fare as well as he did. There are some with talent who fared better.

There were multiple QBs like Jalen Hurts who had just as good or better offensive personnel and were worse statistically. He had a higher completion percentage than any other starter, including the likes of Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow. He threw more TDs than any other QB, including Jordan Love, Brock Purdy and Jared Goff, while also throwing fewer interceptions than any of them. He had a higher QB rating than all other starters except Purdy.

Are you saying that none of those quarterbacks had a roster as good as ours or played against a schedule as weak as ours?

I am not a major Dak advocate. I don't even like getting in these discussion because the pro-Dak and anti-Dak sides are so dug in that there's little use talking about him. But I don't think we can just dismiss his stats and his accomplishments by saying many other QBs could have done that. Many were in as good a situation as he was and did not do what he did.

Now, you want to tell me that many other QBs could have looked that bad in a postseason game and I'll agree with you. He didn't step up and neither did almost all of the team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yikes.

That's harsh.

Give the kid a chance.
His chance will be in the Arena League, USFL or CFL.
I have no idea, and you don't either. There are a lot of teams with talent and who played bad teams and there QBs didn't fare as well as he did. There are some with talent who fared better.

There were multiple QBs like Jalen Hurts who had just as good or better offensive personnel and were worse statistically. He had a higher completion percentage than any other starter, including the likes of Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow. He threw more TDs than any other QB, including Jordan Love, Brock Purdy and Jared Goff, while also throwing fewer interceptions than any of them. He had a higher QB rating than all other starters except Purdy.

Are you saying that none of those quarterbacks had a roster as good as ours or played against a schedule as weak as ours?

I am not a major Dak advocate. I don't even like getting in these discussion because the pro-Dak and anti-Dak sides are so dug in that there's little use talking about him. But I don't think we can just dismiss his stats and his accomplishments by saying many other QBs could have done that. Many were in as good a situation as he was and did not do what he did.

Now, you want to tell me that many other QBs could have looked that bad in a postseason game and I'll agree with you. He didn't step up and neither did almost all of the team.
Then ask yourself how many other QBs in the league would have achieved similar stats with this roster including a dominant defense and a kicker who was automatic during the regular season playing mostly really bad teams particularly with horrific pass defenses?
Hmm playing horrific teams. Dominant defense. Maybe the defense was dominate because we played bad teams. They played terrible against good teams.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
1. Dak isn't the problem. He may also not be the solution, but he definitely isn't the problem. --If you can't understand that then you simply aren't going to understand much at all.
Dak is a better QB than either Jalen Hurts or Brock Purdy. Those are your NFC SB QBs the past 2 seasons.
It is a team game.

2. Dallas cannot trade Dak because he has a no trade clause. He'd have to be brought in and agree with another team on an extension to get him moved.
And Dallas would eat insane amounts of dead cap space. So you'd be looking at Rush/Lance this year.
But realistically Dak has zero incentive to do that. Just play out the year and hit unrestricted free agency then Tom Brady it where he picks his spot.
Want to go home to Louisiana? Welp, they can sign you to a big deal with very little year 1 cap hit.
Want to hit a coast? He'll have options on both of them if he becomes an URFA.

3. Dallas CAN pay Dak this 60M cap hit this year. It's actually far more possible than people pretend. You would of course be restructuring virtually every other contract, but it very well could be done.

4. Going all-in for 2024 most certainly means having Dak Prescott.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
Well you have to kinda make the playoffs to go to the Super Bowl.
You have to kinda have a good season to get to the playoffs (check mark) and you kinda have to win more than one game to get to the Super Bowl (big X).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

So much this.
Did Dak have a favorable schedule? Yes. And he rode it to a 2nd place MVP finish and ANOTHER 12-win season.
Troy Aikman played on 2 of the best teams of all-time and he was both clearly good and clearly won at an elite level I think we can all agree....
He only had 4 12-win regular seasons in his career. And he won the division 6 times.
Dak has led teams to win the division 4 times. The last 3 times Dak did not lead the team to the division title, he was either injured much of the season or the Eagles won it and went to the Super Bowl.

Is he Pat Mahomes? Nope. Is he top 3? Very doubtful.
Is he the main issue on this team? Not even close.
Our other teams winning playoff games with far worse QBs? Yup. And regularly.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Being runner up MVP might also have teams wanting to trade for Dak rather then go with Cousins, Mayfield or a rookie. If Jerry has multiple teams calling him then he should listen and Dak and his agent would be wise to accept that rather than accept a June 1st cut. Dak LOVERS don't want to hear any of this of course. I have the same amount of love for Rush and Lance as I do for Dak...none at all. Dak hasn't done anything for the Cowboys but add more years of playoff frustration. I'm ready for a change at the QB position.
so you are an advocate for rebuilding? that's what it sounds like.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The comparison is not even close but good try.
Actually, it isn't a comparison at all, merely noting that you are stuck on silly.
QBs do in fact turn the ball over and even throw pick sixes and still win; including this year's Super Bowl champion.
Because the teams that do win have defenses that do not give up SIX TDs in SEVEN drives.

The turnover complaint about Dak is the dumbest of them all because he is among the best in the league at NOT turning it over.

Dak had a very bad half of football.
The Dallas defense had a historically bad 2nd and 3rd quarter.
It is "not even close" as to was worse but good try.

LysleE

Reaction score
Sadly I think Dallas is stuck with Dak as Jerry has been steadfast in his unwavering support for the QB. I think the FO has to bring up the lack of playoff success in a move to drive down the asking price as statistically Dak is maybe top 5-10.
Jerry never had a Plan B to succeed Dak; there has never been any real competition for the QB job as the FO never brought in another QB capable of challenging Dak…Cooper Rush certainly isn’t that QB and TL is still an unknown quantity at this point.
Off the top of my head there might be 7-8 teams who would look at Dak for their starting QB, but Dak would have to waive the no-trade clause; but given the negative cap implications, extending him makes the most sense, regardless of perhaps not being the best move. Unfortunately for us fans, there are no real palatable options.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Sadly I think Dallas is stuck with Dak as Jerry has been steadfast in his unwavering support for the QB. I think the FO has to bring up the lack of playoff success in a move to drive down the asking price as statistically Dak is maybe top 5-10.
Jerry never had a Plan B to succeed Dak; there has never been any real competition for the QB job as the FO never brought in another QB capable of challenging Dak…Cooper Rush certainly isn’t that QB and TL is still an unknown quantity at this point.
Off the top of my head there might be 7-8 teams who would look at Dak for their starting QB, but Dak would have to waive the no-trade clause; but given the negative cap implications, extending him makes the most sense, regardless of perhaps not being the best move. Unfortunately for us fans, there are no real palatable options.
Jerry's plan B was signing Trance.

If it was a legit plan B, he would have been moved up to back up QB at some point last year.