What position is most likely to be BPA at 58?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We aren’t taking a QB or RB if they’re BPA. Not unless we aren’t planning on signing our guys.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
It's really not, needs are specific but that BPA board is very similar with all of the teams unless they let their needs arrange it.
BPA for a team is always based on needs. But its chess not checkers. For example when we drafted Taco; there was a CB (Kevin King I believe) on the board that we had rated higher that we passed on because we had a need for a DE and there were not going to be many DE's that we wanted in the second round but CB was deep in that draft. Which led to us getting 2 pretty corners in the second and 3rd rounds. Need dictated OUR Best Player Available on OUR board. If DE was deep that year we would have drafted Kevin King.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
From everything I've seen, the drop off after the first 2 is steep and they'll be gone long before 58.

And does this offense need a TE with either of the first two picks? Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Hurns and Elliott and Witten for the short yardage. I can see the need for an OL at 58 over a TE. An OL is much more likely to see more snaps this year.

I'm down with whatever helps this team, really. Plus, I'm no draft expert. I know certain names and hear about certain players, but, I can't be like "OMG GUYZ I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY PICKED HIM!" if they choose a player they feel could contribute, like a TE.

morasp

Reaction score
Juan Thornhill S or Khalen Saunders DT or Zach Allen DE if he's there.

InTheZone

Reaction score
BPA at 58? hmmm I hope there's value because I don't want another Taco Charlton or Dwayne Goodrich or some guy that can't contribute for a year, don't care if the reason is drugs or injury.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Will Grier is the best value in round 2 actually. But yet again, RAW. None of these guys are pro ready. Kyler Murray will be a bust as a QB. But if he is a slash type player, he will be solid. The kid will get beat up and his lunch money stolen every week lol...ROSEN is better. If we are talking just at QB, Rosen all day is better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
agree. even lock is raw. No way should he be round one. NONE are what I what call a slam dunk.
Right ..

But if you needed a QB then there’s several who will be elevated to first round. It’s why we have so many who Bust. They shouldn’t have been first rounders to begin with.

Plus going to a bottom feeder team also increases the chances these QB will be Bust. Imagine if Dak had gone to the Browns or Jets for example. You think he wins Rookie of the year in those offenses?

Naaa, the teams these QB’s go to has much to do with their success. The really great ones emerge from these bottom dwellers elevating their team. The other benefit from their surroundings.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not unless you need a QB.

But the steal in this draft is Will Grier probably a late 2nd rounder.
Possible. Major questions as to whether his skills will translate. I liked him a lot more before he blew major chunks at the senior bowl.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Possible. Major questions as to whether his skills will translate. I liked him a lot more before he blew major chunks at the senior bowl.
That’s his best rating in some of his evaluation is his game translates well to the NFL. But that’s always a risk. If he came to an offense like ours with this supporting cast I think he could flourish but so could any prolific passer.

I watched him in several games this year. I missed the Senior Bowl. It’s rarely tells me much. I’m actually surprised he’s not closer to a 1st round pick. I’d take him before Murray who is over hyped for NFL. But I thought Grier was best product for NFL coming out of Big 12.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We've listed our needs which include DE, DT, OL and S as the highest need but what if the BPA is LB or RB?

Is there not a need for a 3rd LB since Wilson is gone and what about a hybrid RB to add to the weapons on offense? What about adding speed to the RB's?

The answer lies in what it is easier to build and to me, that is offense. The best D in the league, stat wise, was CHI and they couldn't advance and the two teams in the NFCCG hardly had great D's.

What if the BPA is a RB? Take him or go for need? What if he's a good enough back to replace Elliott in 2020 and that's one less position to be concerned about with the amount he will want?

And what if Michigan LB, Devin Bush, is there at 58? Or AL's Mack Wilson?

It is unlikely that either of those LB's is there but every year a position slips and changes the BPA position.

So, are you a BPA or needs picker?

who listed them? Anyone that listed OL as a big need doesnt know this team.

Safety, DT, DE, TE, backup RB are the biggest needs.

dogberry

Reaction score
We have passed on two rbs with first round grades.

Given that using a rb more than 350 carries a year is the fb equivalent of letting 15 year olds throw curveballs having two would allow us to always have a first round rb available.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Teams think in terms of tiers.

If a player they have rated as a 1st round pick is available at #58 then they should draft that player.

If there are 2 players with a round2-tier2 ranking and all others have lower rankings then they can pick between the two players based on need. The same applies if there are more than 2.

Don't pass on LeSean McCoy at #51 (2009 draft) when you have him rated as a 1st round talent unless someone overwhelms you with a trade offer.

Yea, but even you came out and said in the other thread, that most teams would have passed on McCoy when they had MB3 and just drafted Felix.

If a first round LB, OL, RB, or CB are there, I’m likely trading the pick

CCBoy

Reaction score
There ya go again making so much since,, when.. JK bro.. that's exactly how you handle 58th overall.
I don't care if its a center.. just make damn sure its the best BPA

I'm thinking this could depend upon whether or not Robert Quinn is traded for with Miami.

If he isn't dealt for, then I'd add some lower and next year's pick to move up and get the desired defensive end.

If Quinn is dealt for, then I'd navigate for a defensive tackle in the draft...first.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
BPA at 58? hmmm I hope there's value because I don't want another Taco Charlton or Dwayne Goodrich or some guy that can't contribute for a year, don't care if the reason is drugs or injury.

It's funny the hindsight used by everyone claiming Taco was a reach.

*looks up one of very few draft misses*
"Can't reach like that again" lol

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Yea, but even you came out and said in the other thread, that most teams would have passed on McCoy when they had MB3 and just drafted Felix.

If a first round LB, OL, RB, or CB are there, I’m likely trading the pick
Yeah using a 1st rounder on a RB is bad, having a big money RB(Barber), using a 1st rounder on a RNB(Felix), and then using your next first pick in the draft on another RB(Shady) is moronic.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yeah using a 1st rounder on a RB is bad, having a big money RB(Barber), using a 1st rounder on a RNB(Felix), and then using your next first pick in the draft on another RB(Shady) is moronic.

I don’t want to say moronic. Had we properly evaluated the roster and realized Barber was done, and also realized Felix wasn’t going to become a feature back, fine. But don’t just take McCoy because he is the BPA in that situation.

InTheZone

Reaction score
It's funny the hindsight used by everyone claiming Taco was a reach.

*looks up one of very few draft misses*
"Can't reach like that again" lol
None of our other recent top picks looked like a reach. Some were less flashy due to the position, but for a DE Taco looked like a dud before he was drafted. There was literally nothing I was impressed with in his "highlights". It just reminded me of them overrating the player like they did with Brandon Carr when they showed off his highlights as he made his way to Dallas.