What position is most likely to be BPA at 58?

Hadenough

Reaction score
We've listed our needs which include DE, DT, OL and S as the highest need but what if the BPA is LB or RB?

Is there not a need for a 3rd LB since Wilson is gone and what about a hybrid RB to add to the weapons on offense? What about adding speed to the RB's?

The answer lies in what it is easier to build and to me, that is offense. The best D in the league, stat wise, was CHI and they couldn't advance and the two teams in the NFCCG hardly had great D's.

What if the BPA is a RB? Take him or go for need? What if he's a good enough back to replace Elliott in 2020 and that's one less position to be concerned about with the amount he will want?

And what if Michigan LB, Devin Bush, is there at 58? Or AL's Mack Wilson?

It is unlikely that either of those LB's is there but every year a position slips and changes the BPA position.

So, are you a BPA or needs picker?
Very good question! I think for right now this team is set at LB and would not go there. Its probably going to come down to difference in need vs ranking. I think by the time Dallas chooses at 58 your not gonna see any 2nd or 3rd ranked DT, DE, LB. You might see the 3rd ranked TE, S, WR, RB, CB. This is kind of depressing because that 2nd round pick is at the end of the round so Dallas has to go 2 full rounds before making a selection. UGH!!

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I do not want to draft TE at 58 unless a 1st round talent falls that far. Although part of me feels they will draft a TE and that's why they brought Witten back so he can groom them. I personally want to go defense or if a good OL falls to 58.

Rayman70

Reaction score
BTW...if Jones is there at 58...I'm running the card up to the podium fast. It would be a luxury pick, but one I'm making easily. We could either trade Dak or trade Jones for a boatload.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We've listed our needs which include DE, DT, OL and S as the highest need but what if the BPA is LB or RB?

Is there not a need for a 3rd LB since Wilson is gone and what about a hybrid RB to add to the weapons on offense? What about adding speed to the RB's?

The answer lies in what it is easier to build and to me, that is offense. The best D in the league, stat wise, was CHI and they couldn't advance and the two teams in the NFCCG hardly had great D's.

What if the BPA is a RB? Take him or go for need? What if he's a good enough back to replace Elliott in 2020 and that's one less position to be concerned about with the amount he will want?

It is unlikely that either of those LB's is there but every year a position slips and changes the BPA position.

I say follow the positions targeted in free agency and you have your answer to positions we will target in the draft. So, DE, DT, S and WR in no particular order. No need to reach. So for me its a BPA @ a needs position. I sit firmly on the fence. Draftees are all great until their flaws are exposed at the next level

kskboys

Reaction score
LMAO..he will be gone in mid round 1. Haskins is the QB that falls badly. The guy looks like Byron Leftwich with his throwing motion and body type. Teams seem cold on him.
Not a QB in the bunch I'd take in the 1st.

Hadenough

Reaction score
LMAO..he will be gone in mid round 1. Haskins is the QB that falls badly. The guy looks like Byron Leftwich with his throwing motion and body type. Teams seem cold on him.
I heard the deadskins want to trade up to get him. Desperate move is typical of them.

lukin2006

Reaction score

If Bush is there at 58, I take him. I doubt he lasts that long.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm hoping DL or S. Do we REALLY need a TE there? I get it if a talent of that position falls to you but I just feel we have other bigger needs.

Agreed, but I wouldn't be mad if we got D'Andre Walker LB Georgia. We'd then have 3 amazing young LBers, so that'd be fine by me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You really cant make a call on your top needs until after FA is done. BPA is team specific.
It's really not, needs are specific but that BPA board is very similar with all of the teams unless they let their needs arrange it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve always considered the BPA is more about the best available one of our needs. Not the best available on the board.
I am just the opposite, it is understood that every team will take the BPA at a chosen position of need. But I've seen teams take a player because he was the highest on the board with my perception being that wasn't really a need. Not every team approaches it as a need for this season and I've seen Belichick make a questionable pick but that fits his plan and the starter at that position might be on the block.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm hoping DL or S. Do we REALLY need a TE there? I get it if a talent of that position falls to you but I just feel we have other bigger needs.
From everything I've seen, the drop off after the first 2 is steep and they'll be gone long before 58.

And does this offense need a TE with either of the first two picks? Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Hurns and Elliott and Witten for the short yardage. I can see the need for an OL at 58 over a TE. An OL is much more likely to see more snaps this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am just the opposite, it is understood that every team will take the BPA at a chosen position of need. But I've seen teams take a player because he was the highest on the board with my perception being that wasn't really a need. Not every team approaches it as a need for this season and I've seen Belichick make a questionable pick but that fits his plan and the starter at that position might be on the block.
If that player is on the block then it would be a need. No?

And a need in your mind means an immediate need?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's really not, needs are specific but that BPA board is very similar with all of the teams unless they let their needs arrange it.
Of course needs arrange it.

It’s how QB’s are taken earlier than they should be, etc.