News: What Separates The Cowboys From The Super Bowl Teams?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Biggest difference between the Broncos and the Cowboys?

The Bronco's GM had the courage to realize his coach (John Fox) who had gone 12-4, 13-3, and 13-3 over the past 3 years wasn't going to be able to push the team over the top and got rid of him.

Gonads of steel IMHO.

I can't imagine a universe where Jerry Jones would ever makes a move like that.

The last time Cowboys had a head coach AND a GM with gonads of steel: Jimmy Johnson

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're also not going to win CRAP when the offense is 30th in the league in offensive scoring with Tony out.

The Broncos showed 2 years ago in the Super Bowl that regardless how great an offense you have if you don't have a solid defense that can get after the QB and create turnovers you can get pummeled. The Broncos offense and Manning didn't look great yesterday but their defense was outstanding producing sacks and turnovers which is why they won the Super Bowl going away.

Seattle won the Super Bowl a couple of years ago without having a great offense but they had an outstanding defense. The Cowboys had a very solid offense in 2014 but got knocked off in the playoffs because of their defense. They'll likely never win another championship until they build a great defense that can win games.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
This is the only correct answer in the thread. Everything else is just symptoms.

Unlike the two organizations in the Super Bowl, this organization is not serious about winning championships. Its simply a hobby for one family that refuses to make the hard decisions that might make it successful (like getting a real GM and Director of Player Personnel).

Not sure if they are afraid to make the hard decisions. Quite the opposite. The Jones' believe they are true football people and smarter than everyone in the league, and their "yes" men advisors/coaches/executives/hanger on's keep enabling them with this delusion.

jnday

Reaction score
Despite the lack of offensive production the Cowboys still had the lead in several games that the defense coughed up in the second half/4th quarter. We had 2 OT games vs New Orleans and Philly where our offense never saw the field due to the defense giving up a first possession TD. The Cowboys were LAST in the league in turnover differential with a -22 in 2015.

Not being able to force turnovers and with the lack of a pass rush the only way to win with this defense is to keep them off the field and that will catch up with even a great offensive team at some point.

One of the reasons the Cowboys had success in 2014 they were 9th in turnover differential with a +6 which gave our offense more opportunities with the ball and limited our defensive snaps. You're not going to win CRAP with a defense that can't force turnovers, make critical stops or mount a steady pass rush.

I agree . I think the problem is the defensive scheme and DC. Rod is a well respected coach, but I don't see the results with the defense that I expected.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree . I think the problem is the defensive scheme and DC. Rod is a well respected coach, but I don't see the results with the defense that I expected.

It's a combination of the players and the scheme. Can't put it all on the scheme and the DC because we've been seeing the same problems defensively for years despite all the scheme and DC changes.

StylisticS

Reaction score
that makes us a playoff team not a super bowl team.

healthy romo + real secondary = super bowl team

Meh. Healthy Romo with great oline + great pass rush = super bowl team. Well. At least are chances are higher. The trenches are vital.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Manning had a pretty lousy game yesterday with only 141 yards passing with an int, lost a fumble and no TD's. He finished with a 56.6 passer rating and Denver won going away due to a great defensive performance. His performance along with Broncos offense that only produced 34 yards rushing was the worst I've seen in a SB from a winning team. If yesterdays game didn't prove that defense wins championships nothing will.

Had Denver had the defense they had 2 years ago vs Seattle in the SB the Panthers would have blown them out. It was all the pressure including the 7 sacks on Cam and a defensive TD that won Denver that game. After watching what Denver did yesterday you're going to see a lot of teams drafting for defense come April.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The Broncos showed 2 years ago in the Super Bowl that regardless how great an offense you have if you don't have a solid defense that can get after the QB and create turnovers you can get pummeled.

There have been several Super Bowl champions lately that "showed" that you don't need a dominant defense, either. The Colts, Saints and Giants won with below-average defenses, the Ravens' defense was average, and the Patriots' was just a little above average last year.

It is possible to win the Super Bowl without a dominant defense -- just as it is without a dominant offense. You just need to play better than your opponent, particularly when it comes to passing offense and/or passing defense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There have been several Super Bowl champions lately that "showed" that you don't need a dominant defense, either. The Colts, Saints and Giants won with below-average defenses, the Ravens' defense was average, and the Patriots' was just a little above average last year.

It is possible to win the Super Bowl without a dominant defense -- just as it is without a dominant offense. You just need to play better than your opponent, particularly when it comes to passing offense and/or passing defense.

A lot of teams have won SB's without having a great defense not saying "every" team needs a great defense to win a championship but it comes down to the QB and offense you're facing in the SB. The 07 Pats were one of the greatest offensive teams in NFL history but they were neutralized by a Giants defense that could rush the passer. In the Giants 2 SB wins over NE Brady was harassed constantly resulting in 7 sacks and a pick. The 2000 Ravens won a SB despite having virtually no offense due to having an all-time great defense. They went something like 5 games that season without scoring an offensive TD. They had one of the worst QBs to ever play in a SB in Trent Dilfer but blew out the Giants who had Kerry Collins at QB.

The Ravens didn't have a great defense in 2012 but they didn't need one facing an 11th ranked SF offense that was being led by a young Kap. The Colts won the SB in 06 facing Rex Grossman so a great defense wasn't needed. When you're facing a high potent offense that's being led by an elite QB you need a pass rush. Very difficult to defense an elite QB without a pass rush or an inability to force turnovers. The 09 Saints won the SB against Indy due to having the #1 offense going up against the Colts #18 defense and Peyton Manning not being able to put points on the board.

It was a big defensive play by NO a pick 6 late in the game that sealed that championship for them so regardless they didn't have a great defense their D stepped up when the SB was on the line. With Romo aging and having trouble staying healthy the Cowboys aren't going to win a championship without having an outstanding defense that can force turnovers and apply consistent pressure to the QB. The Cowboys haven't gotten past the second round of the playoffs in 20 years and their defense has been one of the main reasons.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Biggest difference between the Broncos and the Cowboys?

The Bronco's GM had the courage to realize his coach (John Fox) who had gone 12-4, 13-3, and 13-3 over the past 3 years wasn't going to be able to push the team over the top and got rid of him.

Gonads of steel IMHO.

I can't imagine a universe where Jerry Jones would ever makes a move like that.

Kinda throws the "continuity" argument out of the window, doesn't it.

And Kubiac became the 4th head coach in NFL history to win the SuperBowl in his very first year on the job...........and this will be year 6 for Garrett?

One wildcard win heading into year 6......impressive.;)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
A lot of teams have won SB's without having a great defense not saying "every" team needs a great defense to win a championship but it comes down to the QB and offense you're facing in the SB. ... When you're facing a high potent offense that's being led by an elite QB you need a pass rush. Very difficult to defense an elite QB without a pass rush or an inability to force turnovers.

You're kind of making the point here. A highly potent offense with an elite passing game can be enough to win without a great defense ... just like a great defense can be enough to win without a highly potent offense. The Seahawks' great defense last year wasn't enough to beat Tom Brady, but the Broncos' defense this year was enough to beat Cam Newton. Either way can work. Better yet, have a great passing offense and a dominant pass defense, and you have an even better chance.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Manning had a pretty lousy game yesterday with only 141 yards passing with an int, lost a fumble and no TD's. He finished with a 56.6 passer rating and Denver won going away due to a great defensive performance. His performance along with Broncos offense that only produced 34 yards rushing was the worst I've seen in a SB from a winning team. If yesterdays game didn't prove that defense wins championships nothing will.

Had Denver had the defense they had 2 years ago vs Seattle in the SB the Panthers would have blown them out. It was all the pressure including the 7 sacks on Cam and a defensive TD that won Denver that game. After watching what Denver did yesterday you're going to see a lot of teams drafting for defense come April.

Manning sucked all right. But Cam Newton had an even worse QBR (55 vs. 56). And Peyton actually had more passing yards than Elway did in SB 32 (141 vs. 120). And I think Rothlesberger's first SB win was the worst I have ever seen a SB QB play and Dilfer's SB win with the Ravens was easily just as underwhelming as Peyton Manning's SB 50 performance. That's why the saying defense wins championships is so oft repeated, because its true more often than not.

Franchise QBs are great, even aged ones, but an elite defense is so much better. Get both and amazing things happen. Cowboys already have Romo .....

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Manning sucked all right. But Cam Newton had an even worse QBR (55 vs. 56). And Peyton actually had more passing yards than Elway did in SB 32 (141 vs. 120). And I think Rothlesberger's first SB win was the worst I have ever seen a SB QB play and Dilfer's SB win with the Ravens was easily just as underwhelming as Peyton Manning's SB 50 performance. That's why the saying defense wins championships is so oft repeated, because its true more often than not.

Franchise QBs are great, even aged ones, but an elite defense is so much better. Get both and amazing things happen. Cowboys already have Romo .....

Thought Kubiac an Wade did a awesome job of managing the game. The team was prepared, executed the game plan an in sync with the coaches. The Broncos played a complete game for 60minutes.

Something I haven't seen the Cowboys do since thw Jimmy Johnson era

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
There is discussion that isn't just set in a mood...which you are a fan of. But a discussion is offered, instead of posturing around a burn barrel. Remember that?

But your mood is evident...which you are a fan of.

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
It's a combination of the players and the scheme. Can't put it all on the scheme and the DC because we've been seeing the same problems defensively for years despite all the scheme and DC changes.

It is a bad combination of several things. The scheme and DC was supposed to fix this mess, but it hasn't happened.

CCBoy

Reaction score
But your mood is evident...which you are a fan of.

A bit short of target...what is not liked is a non stop negative approach that always circumvents a portion of a picture. No, the truth is the motivating factor, not being a burn barrel buddy and getting away of dissing another poster. That does raise the stakes for a real discussive attempt.

As to 'mood,' I was a Veteran for 23 years, Postal for 17, and a member of an Emergency Response Team, who's mission was to rescue or recover.

Serious? Here, I'm a fan, but don't put up with convenience of putting down...my team, sacrificing team members, the accomplishments that have been achieve, pride, sportsmanship, and sharing with other fans without FIRST insulting on a partial and convenient set of responses.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I stop reading when I hit the stat line. Do you think a Panthers or Broncos D would have help the team this year? This team offense could not cough up 10 points aganist some very sub par teams. Having an elite D is great but our D was good enough to win us 13 games this year if we had better offensive production.

Actually look at Denver in the superbowl, their offense was terrible and couldn't produce points. Without that defense they lose. Denver's only offense td was because of a turnover in the redzone and only needed a few yards to score.

Defense wins championships not offense

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
I apologize if this answer's been given already (I almost can't believe it hasn't, but I haven't gone through 4 pages of this thread.)

Q. What Separates The Cowboys From The Super Bowl Teams?

A. Jerry Jones