What should the Cowboys do about the QB position going forward?

Flamma

Reaction score
it depends, I think financially, its about the average we thought...do we have a QB? is Dalton the short term answer? we know Dalton is not the long term answer. who is the guy that we are going to have in place of Dak…..we have to realize that we are not in a rebuilding mode, having paid Cooper, Zeke, Lawrence, Smith, Martin, Collins, it all points to us making a run.....and its going to come down to the offer, so if we make a deep playoff run, even get to the second round of it, then we are close and if the answer for the QB is not there, then we might sign him to a second franchise....wouldn't surprise me....

You're right about that problem. But having a top 5 cap hit in the entire NFL for 2021 is not exactly financially average. If the salary cap doesn't go up next season I don't think it would be advisable to tag him again. Yes he's better than Dalton. But what is better overall for the team? Keeping Dak and maybe losing players or unable to resign some players? Or going with Dalton and maybe even improving the team around him? I think Goff is trash yet they went to a SB. We don't need to pay Dak 37 million.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Now that Dak wont be signing a long-term extension here :)rolleyes:), what should be the contingency plan be in regards to the QB position going forward?

Draft?

Free Agency?

Trade?
If this team was not as talented as it is. I’d tank for lawerence. But that’s not gonna happen. Dak is going to prove his worth and get signed by us next year. With this team and coaching staff I think NFCCG is the goal. And if he does that and shows what he already has plus more we sign him and you change your signature as per our bet. Minus the championship game of course lol

VACowboy

Reaction score
That's the kind of unwarranted blind optimism that has held this franchise back for a quarter century.
Lighten up, Nancy. I didn't say the Cowboys should hang their hat on DiNucci becoming a more athletic Romo, I said in a perfect world that's what he is.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on the year Dak and the team have. An outstanding year and the Cowboys need to get a deal done. An average or below average year and they should look at options.

Brax

Reaction score
That would be true if I ever said I did. Instead its just another dumb comment by a useless troll.

IN fact, I have said many times I wouldnt pay 40 million.
Sorry, just 38 or so. So pathetic.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Lighten up, Nancy. I didn't say the Cowboys should hang their hat on DiNucci becoming a more athletic Romo, I said in a perfect world that's what he is.
LOL

I'm not mad at the thought of us striking gold. I just know it's not likely.

It sounded very Jerry'ish. "We really like the James Madison quarterback" and boom, 4-12!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Now that Dak wont be signing a long-term extension here :)rolleyes:), what should be the contingency plan be in regards to the QB position going forward?

Draft?

Free Agency?

Trade?
If Dak plays well and we get to the NFCCG, I would try to sign him long term at similar contract we offered him. If he says no you tag and trade him.

If we have the same record as last season, I would move up in the draft and draft a young quarterback and resign Dalton.

If Dak plays similar to this year and he misses key passes that cost us games. I would still sign and trade him but I would bring in veteran like Rodgers or Stafford who would excel with our talent. Part of me would love to take a chance on Winston because of his arm talent and cheap price.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I lean towards trying to trade Dak and offer Dalton three-year, 50- to 60 million dollar deal to be the bridge guy, and look to draft for the next franchise guy.
I have always been a Dak guy, but the fact that he seems to be turning his nose up to even Russell Wilson money when he's a good, not great QB?
I am beginning to sour on him.
Why would you pay Dalton 60 million when we have him for 3 this season? Is Andy your son?

Brax

Reaction score
If you listen carefully, I am pissed that Dak didn't sign.
I know that, but you should be happy he didn’t if he is what many believe a average at best QB they did the right thing and can see what he is under MM. If he is what you and some think, he should lead the Cowboys to the SB and cash in. Dak tried to put the screws to Jerry and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Dak fighting for the starting job under MM.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know that, but you should be happy he didn’t if he is what many believe a average at best QB they did the right thing and can see what he is under MM. If he is what you and some think, he should lead the Cowboys to the SB and cash in. Dak tried to put the screws to Jerry and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Dak fighting for the starting job under MM.

Gotta be honest...……….its impossible for me to have a real conversation with a guy like you that says so many irrational, ridiculous things. And that is me being nice.

Plenty of guys here that will have real debates.

Last edited:

bewp7

Reaction score
ill say this!

unless u somehow build a legion of boom, 2000 ravens, 2002 bucs type defense u will never win a super bowl paying dak prescott franchise qb money. he is not good enough and he never will be.

the problem is jerry is scared of “starting over” becuse of his age but if he wants another super bowl he cant hitch his wagon to dak!

but really just my opinion the cowboys should trade dak asap, let dalton be the guy this year because there really is not much of a difference between the two, draft a qb next draft while investing heavily in defense and then look at some one like cam/dalton/jameis/etc while the new qb develops.

that would not be popular but i think it could at leadt give the cowboys a chance at a super bowl sooner than if they stick with dak and pay him the money he wants

Brax

Reaction score
Your average talk is just plain stupid. You can go talk to the other trolls about that kind of nonsense.

You clearly don't understand how the game works or the QB position. QB's don't win SB's, teams do.
Your anger is showing, the tears are flowing, it appears you are the one who does know jack about QBs or football.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Just target an elite college prospect, then pay the price to move up and draft him...

What else can you do??

At least we've got Dalton to hold it down for a couple years until we find the kid we want...

Then again, we could always pay Dak ~37 million next year???? That sounds downright reasonable...