What to do at the QB position

waldoputty

Reaction score
most of us have given up on dak.
his record-breaking interception record in 2016 is in the distant past.

whatever the reason for the dropoff, it has happened.
at this point, it seems even IF he has the talent, it is not going to come to the forefront in 2018.

so whether u r done with dak or think dak just needs a better ol and wr, u can probably see that he is making a lot of mistakes.
these mistakes include reading the defense and bad form when throwing.

at a minimum, it seems to me that dak needs to sit and relearn how to be a qb in the nfl.
the best case scenario i can see is that dak was spoiled by the 2016 ol that gave him 8 seconds to throw.
so he was rewarded to minimize mistake by playing conservative.
so this most optimistic interpretation is that his brain is completely fried when 8 seconds became 3 seconds, and he cannot adapt on the fly.
if u r pro-dak, u should still agree that that ol is not coming back at least this year.
even if williams makes huge improvements, tsmith is aging very quickly and looks slow against good de's.

so in the optimistic scenario, dak needs time to practice to unlearn the bad habits.
if dak is benched, he can also calmly learn how to read defenses, as after all, romo had several years to learn before starting.
now if u think what u get with dak is what u see now, then you should also have no problem with sitting him.

so what do we do now at qb.
i would say trade for a vet so the team would not embarrass itself.
we cannot look like we are literally tanking, and an experienced vet would allow us to see if dak is the problem.

hopefully we get the #1 pick and grab the best qb.
even so, i would think an open competition should be held for qb next year.

HanD

Reaction score
If u think dak can redevelop u pick up someone like tyrod taylor as a stop gap otherwise i think you have to play dak this year and next on his rookie contract and see how u evaluate j.herbert and lock this coming draft or go all in 2020 for a qb.

Rajveer

Reaction score
If Dak had anything to do with the departure of Dez, then he shot himself in the foot. There is clearly no red zone threat now with Witten and Dez gone. Having few WRs in the off season to work with is also taking its toll now. I dont think Dak is a bad QB, he can clearly throw a deep ball, he is accurate for the most part. He stormed in to the league and then league adjusted to him. However our coaches dont have the word "adjustment" in their dictionary. That is another cause of Dak not doing well.

For Dak to take the next step, he needs to be coached up. I am not talking about having Kellen Moore, a QB coach who could not beat Dak out in competition and retired. Back up QBs who could not make the starting team are now coaching this team, just because they have coaching in their blood. Such is Jerry's logic. The problem lies with the foundation of this club and the logic they follow.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If u think dak can redevelop u pick up someone like tyrod taylor as a stop gap otherwise i think you have to play dak this year and next on his rookie contract and see how u evaluate j.herbert and lock this coming draft or go all in 2020 for a qb.

tyrod taylor is a reasonable suggestion.
i dont know if he can redevelop or is there anything worth redeveloping.

if the season is shot, then the most important thing is the draft position.
after that i think we should at least find out how the offense/players play with a vet qb who has done it for several years.
i think cleveland may be willing to trade taylor for a mid round pick at this point

waldoputty

Reaction score
If Dak had anything to do with the departure of Dez, then he shot himself in the foot. There is clearly no red zone threat now with Witten and Dez gone. Having few WRs in the off season to work with is also taking its toll now. I dont think Dak is a bad QB, he can clearly throw a deep ball, he is accurate for the most part. He stormed in to the league and then league adjusted to him. However our coaches dont have the word "adjustment" in their dictionary. That is another cause of Dak not doing well.

For Dak to take the next step, he needs to be coached up. I am not talking about having Kellen Moore, a QB coach who could not beat Dak out in competition and retired. Back up QBs who could not make the starting team are now coaching this team, just because they have coaching in their blood. Such is Jerry's logic. The problem lies with the foundation of this club and the logic they follow.

i dont know how accurate dak can be.
some deep throws looked good.
a lot of other throws look scattershot.
it is clear we will go no where with him this year.
i think it would be useful to see what a vet qb can do.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Too many issues with him. I would say we got no time to waste anymore just move on to plan B.
see what you got from the ones we have and draft another one.

kskboys

Reaction score
They have to get a QB in the first.
Disagree. First, we need to get an O staff that can develop a QB and put the type of O around him that makes the best of his skillset.

I'd definitely get a new OC in here at the very least. Why not? Get someone else and see if Dak shows any hope for the future. You're simply not going to be able to tell w/ the current clusterfudge.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Disagree. First, we need to get an O staff that can develop a QB and put the type of O around him that makes the best of his skillset.

I'd definitely get a new OC in here at the very least. Why not? Get someone else and see if Dak shows any hope for the future. You're simply not going to be able to tell w/ the current clusterfudge.

fire kellen. get dak a real qb coach. trade for a vet qb.
that would allow us to see whether all the wrs r garbage.
the year is shot, so may as develop young wrs and find out who are the players

Big_D

Reaction score

I should've added.... (after the new coaching staff in January) New coach with a new scheme then QB in that order. If Garrett is still here next April, then it doesn't really matter what they do.

Big_D

Reaction score
I would wait for Tua Tagovailoa. This guy is legit.

Then you have to wait 2 years then develop him on top of it. And have a high enough pick to get him in the first place.

kskboys

Reaction score
fire kellen. get dak a real qb coach. trade for a vet qb.
that would allow us to see whether all the wrs r garbage.
the year is shot, so may as develop young wrs and find out who are the players
X a gadzillion.

Use the rest of this season for evaluation. Let someone else call the plays. Who? I have no idea, but someone who can call a short passing game, someone who can truly see if there's any hope w/ Dak. We know for sure that the current system does not work for him. So change O systems. Have a convo w/ Dak and find out what he needs, then assess his skillset, and call plays accordingly.

If Dak truly sucks, let's find out now. Nothing is to be gained by staying w/ this O system. Absolutely nothing. It will be more wheel spinning in the off if we continue like this.